Chalice News and Notes 1.6.23

Chalice Admin

Jan 6, 2023, 5:00:22 PM1/6/23
to announ...@chaliceuu.org, mem...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Here are some upcoming events…

Jan 7 - Families Care 4pm, Potluck and Undeck the Halls at 5pm!

Jan 8  - In person service with Rev Anne Hines followed by a Meet & Greet, Vegan lunch, & Good Trouble Congregational Celebration

Jan 8 - Crossing Paths for Adults - Quakerism- 1-2:30pm in Social Hall

Jan 8 - Our Whole Lives - 7-9th in YRUU room, K-1 in Innovations - 1:00pm

Jan 9 - Monday Night Book Discussion - 7:30pm

Jan 9 - Living Dharma Connection Meditation - 7:30 pm

Jan 11 - Cultural & Racial Justice Team meeting - 5:30 pm

Jan 12 - BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative - 6:00 pm

Jan 13 - Middle School Hangout (RSVP no later than Jan 12) - 6:00 pm

Families Care

This Saturday, Jan 7th 4:00pm

Followed by a Potluck and Undeck the Halls at 5pm

In Person & Online Service - 10 am

Rev. Anne Hines

The Best Thing to Say to a Friend

We have been living in very challenging times, with levels of distrust and anger at levels rarely seen before in this country. Is there any way to lower the intensity of these emotions — at least in ourselves? St. Francis of Assisi might have an answer.

Join us in person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Congratulations, Chalice!!

We are officially a “Good Trouble Congregation!”

Join us after service for a Meet and Greet with Rev. Anne Hines followed by a Vegan Lunch and a Good Trouble Celebration

 Sunday, January 8th!

Right after service in Fellowship Hall

Meet & Greet with Reverend Anne

Vegan Lunch hosted by CCAT* + Friends

Then

Good Trouble Celebration – Chalice’s Love in Action

12:00pm  gathering in the Sanctuary and online

Hear about all the Love in Action happening at Chalice

And find out what good trouble you can get into!!!

*Chalice Climate Action Team

Crossing Paths for Adults is back!

Beginning this Sunday - January 8th

1-2:30 in Social Hall

OWL Starts this Sunday!

Jan 8th -1:00 pm

Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Please address any communications or questions to: O...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

To face the world’s shadows, a Chalice of light.

To face the world’s coldness, a Chalice of warmth.

To face the world’s terrors, a Chalice of courage.

To face the world’s turmoils, a Chalice of peace.

May its glow fill our spirits, our hearts, and our lives.

~ Lindsey Bates

Living Dharma Connection Meditation Group

2nd Monday of every month, beginning

Monday, January 9th

7:30 to 8:30 pm

This informal Buddhist meditation and Dharma discussion group is open to everyone. To join and receive monthly meeting details/readings, please contact Frédérik Sisa by email at freder...@protonmail.com and/or Sharon Slentz at sharon...@gmail.com.

Monday Night Book Discussion

January 9th ~ 7:30 pm

The Monday night book discussion on zoom has chosen the first two selections for 2023. We meet once a month at 7:30 PM and have selected a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles. The book for Monday January 9th is The Friend by Sigrid Nunez, a National Book Award winner. The choice for February 13th is Circe by Madeline Miller, a new look at Circe with whom Ulysses spent some years. We will post the zoom link in early January. If you have questions, contact Jo Ann Van Reenan (vanre...@gmail.com or 805-382-9794

Middle School Hangout - January 13th - 6pm

Next Open Mic Nite, Jan 15th 6pm (sign ups @5:30)

Come Celebrate Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

“In Darkness Be the Light Striving for Freedom”

Volunteers Needed!

The Chalice Racial & Cultural Justice team invites you to join us to celebrate in Oxnard:

Tuesday, January 3, 2 pm:

  •  Walk the blocks surrounding Oxnard’s Plaza Park with us and others to distribute event fliers for local businesses. (The city requires notification to close streets for the Jan. 16 March.)

Monday, January 16:

  • 8 am: Come to the free gathering at Plaza Park on January 16 at 8am, then join the March to the Oxnard Performing Arts Center at 8:15am. Or help with early setup of our Chalice table.

  • 9 am-1 pm:  Attend the program and reception with refreshments (tickets $10).  Staff or break down our Chalice table at the Oxnard Performing Arts Center as available during the reception.

Program tickets available from Willie Lubka, Sue Norton and Randall Edwards. Or buy them online at:

 https://www.facebook.com/events/3250577058490179 or scan the QR code on the flyer.

If you have questions or want to participate, contact Barbara Leighton belei...@yahoo.com

Chalice Presents a Special Live Theatrical Event

Gerald C. Rivers – The Voice of Dr. King

Music Performances by Merlin Snider

Friday, January 20th – 7:00 p.m. PT

(Both In-person and Live-stream options available!)

Dramatic portrayal celebrating the enduring spirit of dissent.

Gerald C. Rivers is a classically trained Shakespearean actor who has been presenting the words and works of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for over 30 years.  Gerald has dedicated his life’s work to keeping alive the spirit and inspiration of Dr. King through his passionate renditions.

Singer-songwriter and guitarist Merlin Snider blends all sorts of American roots music from folk and blues to rock, gospel, and jazz.  His soulful melodies and thoughtful lyrics reach across borders of heart and mind.

Ticket donation: $20 each.  Students and those 25 and under: $10.  Online-only: $10.

Let us know if you need a scholarship as we don’t want the cost to prohibit your attendance.

Please see here for more information:

https://bit.ly/ChaliceCFDrKing2023

Masks are strongly recommended.

Chalice Midyear Meeting

Sunday, Jan 22nd after service

Welcome to 2023, we hope your holiday season was filled with love, and may we transform the world through justice and compassion in the coming year.

The Chalice Mid-Year Meeting will be held on Sunday, January 22, after the morning worship service, at 11:30 am.  This will be a multi-platform meeting in person and on Zoom, though we encourage you to come in person if possible.

Our agenda will include:

  • President and Treasurer Reports

  • Update on the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA)  Article 2 Revisions by Building Beloved Community Advocates(BBCA)

  • Site Visioning Team Update

  • Nomination & vote for the Leadership Cultivation Committee (LCC).

The nominees for the LCC are:

Todd Hess

Clint Fultz

We send gratitude to Deryck True and Sharon Damerell for their time and commitment to the Leadership Cultivation Committee, thank you for serving!

We hope to see you all at our Mid Year Meeting on January 22.

In service and love,

Annie Barker President,

Chalice Board of Trustees

SAVE THE DATE - Chalice Women’s Retreat

The Chalice Women’s Retreat 2023 is scheduled for the last weekend in March. The women of Chalice are invited to join us at Camp de Benneville Pines from Friday, March 24, through Sunday, March 26! We are planning a return to the mountains for fellowship and renewal. Our theme this year is Being Enough! More details will be available in January.

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Gas Stoves and Your Health

Customers aren't being told about the potential health risks of cooking with gas.

New survey finds retailers aren't giving consumers the information they need to protect themselves from the health risks of cooking with gas stoves. Read more about the dangers of gas stoves here: https://pirg.org/edfund/resources/gas-stoves-and-your-health

Protect the Grand Canyon From New Uranium Mining

It's time to permanently protect the Grand Canyon from new uranium mining.

We need your help doing it.

In a region already afflicted by decades of deadly uranium pollution, new mines would further industrialize public lands and destroy Native American sacred sites — meanwhile threatening even more harm to the precious groundwater that feeds the Canyon's creeks and springs.

The House of Representatives has already passed the Grand Canyon Protection Act, which would permanently block new uranium mines across 1 million acres surrounding Grand Canyon National Park.

Now the Senate needs to act.

Please take action today! Urge your senators to pass the Grand Canyon Protection Act: https://act.biologicaldiversity.org/a/protect-the-grand-canyon-from-new-uranium-mining?sourceid=1008095

meets the second Wednesday of Each Month

Next meeting Wednesday, January 11th, 5:30 to 7pm

Join us by Zoom, as we consider developing resources for these challenging times.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative

Meets the second Thursday of the month

Next Meeting ~ January 12th from 6pm-7pm

If you are a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person Of Color) Unitarian Universalist, we invite you to join Matt Chapa and Ayanna Gaines of Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for an evening of support and discussion.

Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/95532331455?pwd=TFI3b2MwUG96MmN0c1M5RHZiUXFsZz09

Please note that this meeting is for BIPOC folk only. Allies are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Saturday, January 7

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

4:00pm Families Care, followed by potluck dinner (5pm) and UNdeck the Halls celebration

Sunday, January 8

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:00am Meet and Greet with Rev. Anne

11:30am RE:Innovations

11:30am RE:Parent Group

11:30am RE:Reflections

11:30am RE: Serenity

11:30am RE: YRUU

12:00pm Good Trouble Celebration - Chalice's Love in Action!

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, January 9

7:00pm 2nd Monday Chalice Circle (zoom2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group

7:30pm Book Club (zoom2)

7:30pm Living Dharma Connection - Meditation & Discussion

Tuesday, January 10

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

6:00pm LCC Monthly Meeting (Zoom2)

Wednesday, January 11

5:00pm Finance Committee Meeting (ZoomD)

5:30pm Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting

6:00pm Sitevisioning meeting (zoom2)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, January 12

6:00pm BIPOC UU Tri-County collaborative meeting

Friday, January 13

6:00pm Middle School Hangout

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May