Chalice News & Notes 4.5.24

Chalice Admin

Apr 5, 2024, 5:00:55 PMApr 5
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Upcoming Events

April 12 - Community Forum: “The Attack on Democracy, and How We Can Help Protect It” - 7pm via Zoom

registration for the Zoom link here: https://bit.ly/AttackonDemocracyandHowWeCanHelpProtectIt

April 14 - Families Care - after service Social Hall

April 21 - Open Mic Nite - 6pm  Sanctuary

April 28 - Article II Conversation - Share and Learn -after service Sanctuary

May 5 - Meet the Minister - after service in the Nest (upstairs FH)

May 5 - Article II Discuss the Pros & Cons - 12:00 pm  in the Sanctuary

May 19 - Pancake Breakfast - 11:30 am Social Hall

Fun at the Hollywood Bowl!

Please Let Anthony know TODAY if you would like to participate. Tickets need to be reserved by April 5th.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, Hollywood Bowl season! Join your Chalice family for a picnic dinner and world class concert under the stars. This year’s concert selections are:

-Disney ‘80s-90’s Celebration Concert-7/19 8pm

-The Music of Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, and More: Boublil and Schonberg 7/28 7:30pm

-Singin’ in the Rain 8/27 8pm

-Dudamel Leads Beethoven 9 (Chichester Psalms) 9/10 8pm

-Dudamel and the Stars of Opera 9/12 8pm

-Fireworks Finale Boyz II Men 9/13 8pm

-Joni Mitchell and the Joni Jam 10/20 6:30pm

If you’re interested in attending one or more of these concerts, reach out to Anthony at musicd...@chaliceuu.org.

SUNDAY SERVICE

In Person and Online ~  10 am

Reverend Nica Eaton

We Need One Another

Our community is a precious gift. As we embark on another election year, we explore how we can better support one another through times of trauma, conflict and stress. We also honor our hospitality volunteers who provide our coffee, snacks and run Feeding Hands. Join us to discover tools for resilience and interdependence.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

Curious about the future of our Buildings?

Every Sunday after service, Randy Slentz, a member of the site visioning team, will be available in the Sanctuary to provide updates as to the status of our buildings and our potential move. We invite you to stay after service, stay in the know and get your questions answered!

The Attack on Democracy, and How We Can Help Protect It

with David Pepper

Friday, April 12th - 7:00 pm via Zoom

David Pepper, author of Laboratories of Autocracy and Saving Democracy, details the breadth and depth of the assaults on democracy and how everyone from elected officials to everyday citizens can fight back.

“American democracy can be resuscitated – its roots planted far more deeply into our soil.  American governance can once again reflect the voted will of the broad, diverse electorate that comprises the American majority.”   *Saving Democracy – David Pepper

David Pepper is a lawyer, writer, democracy activist, former elected official, and adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Law.

More information and registration for the Zoom link here: https://bit.ly/AttackonDemocracyandHowWeCanHelpProtectIt

OUR PROGRAM IS FREE BUT DONATIONS ARE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley, fo...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

As surely as we belong to the universe

we belong together.

We join here to transcend the isolated self,

to reconnect,

to know ourselves to be at home,

here on earth, under the stars,

linked with each other.

We light our chalice to remember our interdependence.

~ Margaret Keip

Hello UUtheVote team!

We are doing great! Completed over 1,000 Georgia postcards, some of us writing over 100 of them. Thank you so much for your persistence. “We won’t back down.”

We now have Virginia postcards ready to distribute. These packets contain all the pieces Georgia did, but with new mailing dates, labels, scripts, and a sample image.

Please email us at contactu...@chaliceuu.org to order. Again, they are in groups of 20’s.

We expect to be back in the boardroom (upstairs in Fellowship Hall) after service on April 7.

Happy Springtime/Easter to each of you and your families. Let’s save democracy together!

 Jill and Pamela

Memorial Service to honor Deryck True

Saturday, April 13 at UU Studio City

PLEASE RSVP as soon as possible

Deryck’s son Colin True has requested RSVPs from our members who wish to attend:

His phone for text is (310) 871- 2505

and his email is coli...@gmail.com

We bid a fond farewell to our beloved member Deryck True, brother of Devin True. We will miss Deryck’s kindness, his many talents that he shared with us at Chalice and his lifelong dedication to Unitarian Universalism. There will be a memorial service held to honor Deryck True  at UU Studio City on April 13, 2024 at 11:00am. The church address is 12355 Moorpark St. Studio City, Ca 91604.

Families Care

 April 14th

We'll be holding our final Families Care of the year in April.

Bring items to make care kits for the unhoused.

We are in need of the following new and unopened items:

  • shampoo/conditioner

  • body wash

  • toothpaste

  • toothbrushes

  • combs

  • deodorant

All donations are deeply appreciated.

 Items can be brought to the Social Hall before the service on 4/14.

If you need to make other arrangements, please contact Sam d...@chaliceuu.org

Our Social Media needs your help!

Our Social Media manager, Julia, needs content, something that represents your connection to our unique faith. Maybe for you it is a video of a hummingbird in your backyard, a flower you saw on your morning walk, the meditation cushion that you sit on each morning, or a journal that you write in each night. We need pictures or videos to tell people who we are and what is meaningful to you about Chalice. These videos and pictures can be fun, creative, peaceful, contemplative. You get the idea!

It’s easy to upload them to Telegram. Here’s how:

We Need You on Zoom!

Anyone want to contribute a few hours a month on a few Sunday mornings and join our Zoomtech team? You do NOT need to be a tech wizard, only mildly competent on Zoom. We will train you in a couple hours and you can practice with oversight before running a program.

It’s a lot of fun, but the Zoom team is shrinking and so experiencing some overload. We need you! And more importantly, so does the audience who Zooms in.

If interested, please email Sue Norton at sueda...@gmail.com.

April 28th at 11:30 am (after service)

 & May 5th at 12:00

in the Sanctuary

We would like to invite you to two opportunities to share, learn and discuss Article II which will be voted on at General Assembly this summer. On April 28th we will have a “Share and Learn” discussion held in the Sanctuary following service. On May 5th we will discuss the Pros & Cons of Article II and what it means for our faith moving forward. We hope you’ll join us for these two gatherings!

Newcomers - We would like to invite people who have recently begun attending our services to meet Reverend Nica Eaton. You will have a chance to ask questions and to get to know her and our loving community a little better. We hope you will join her after service to say hello!

 Listening Circle About Our Move

May 19th after service (11:30 am)  in the Sanctuary

We know that change can be difficult and Chalice is certainly going through a lot of change as we plan to move services out of our Sanctuary. Our final service in the Sanctuary will be Sunday, June 16th and we have many plans to honor our special time in this place that has been so sacred to our fellowship. One of the ways we will do this is with a listening circle where our concerns, fears and grief about this move can be expressed and held in loving care. We move through these challenges together and invite you to be held at this time in beloved community

Attention Chalice Men - DeBenneville Camp Men’s Retreat

Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st

Are you Interested in:

-Deepening your relationships/connection to other men?

-Exploring the challenges and changes we face in the contemporary world?

-Learning about transitions we go through as we move through adulthood and into our later years?

Men's Retreat Weekend at Camp DeBenneville Pines Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st.  This is an annual Spring Renewal retreat put together by the First UU Church of San Diego as part of their ongoing men's program.  If there is enough interest from Chalice, there may be the possibility of having our own breakout group within the context of the larger retreat.

If interested in either of these please contact Tim Snowber at 805-204-6037 or tmsn...@gmail.com.  (Texting is the best way to reach me.)

We’re Packing and need help!

Dear Chalice Friends,

We need help packing up our RE rooms. Please contact me if you have some time to spare and willing hands! Thanks!

With Gratitude,

Sam Dickerson

PWR Assembly 2024

Denver April 19 & 20th & Online

Connect with other UUs in the Pacific Western Region.  Our 4th Regional Assembly will be held in Denver on April 19 and 20, at the beautiful First Universalist Church.  You can attend either in person or online. The keynote address will feature a conversation between our UUA President Rev. Dr. Sofía Betancourt and the new President of the United Church of Christ, Rev. Dr. Karen Georgia A. Thompson.   There will be inspirational worship, workshops, and a craft room.  There will be a reception Friday evening.  We will also host a continental breakfast and catered lunch on Saturday. This is a family friendly event, with childcare.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel Cherry Creek.  Sign up for no-host dinner groups Saturday evening to continue the conversations. We hope to connect with you at RA! Register Today at:

Pacific Western Regional Assembly 2024

April 26-28

We have 6 open positions for delegates to this Assembly in Ventura.

Please let Annie Barker know if you plan to attend, either virtually or in person and wish to be a delegate.

Contact pres...@chaliceuu.org

More Info here: 2024 Pacific Southwest Service Area Assembly

REGISTER HERE

If you have questions about registration you can also contact Laura Chamberlin @ fundr...@uucamp.org.

GA Registration is Open

Register for 2024 Virtual General Assembly now, and secure your spot for an enriching experience packed with featured speakers, dynamic worship, and exclusive access to our event app’s on-demand content. Whether you’re a past attendee or a first-timer, this is your chance to be part of an incredible gathering. Reserved your virtual spot today, and join us at General Assembly 2024.

General Assembly Registration

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month once a quarter - Next meeting June 13th  6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month @ 12:30

Community Forum Team meeting: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Farm Sanctuary Visit!

Sunday, April 14th at 1:00pm

Contact Clint at citize...@protonmail.com and let me know if you’re interested. We’d like to put together a group of no more than 10 people.

Kids and families welcome. First come, first served!

What: A special visit to the Saving Grace Animal Sanctuary.

When: Sunday, April 14th at 1:00pm.

Where: Saving Grace Animal Sanctuary

1575 Sierra Highway, Acton, CA 93510

https://www.savinggraceanimalsanctuary.org/animals

Why: Simply put, to enjoy the company of amazing animals!

Here’s the longer answer: There’s a direct connection from animal agriculture to the climate and environment crises. Animal agriculture is responsible for at least 14.5% of greenhouse gas emissions. It’s one of the leading causes of biodiversity loss, also known as the extinction crisis. Animal agriculture is the number one driver of deforestation and responsible for 20 to 33 percent of all freshwater consumption in the world. In a new study, researchers found that alfalfa and other cattle-feed crops consume 46% of the water that is diverted from the Colorado River. In the United States

alone, animal agriculture guzzles 36 to 74 trillion gallons of water per year. There’s an almost endless list of harms done by the animal agriculture industry to the climate and environment. Plant-based foods offer an alternative to the harmful foods provided by animal agriculture. It’s easier to move towards a more plant-based diet when you’ve made the connection between the animals and the food on your plate.

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Saturday, April 6

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, April 7

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (In person & Zoom 2)

4:00pm WEAV (Zoom2)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, April 8

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, April 9

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

6:00pm RE Committee Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm COSM (zoomN)

Wednesday, April 10

5:00pm Finance Committee Meeting (ZoomD)

5:30pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Search SVT 2 & 4th wed. meeting

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, April 11

7:00pm Sapphire women's Group (Zoom)

7:00pm 2nd Thursday UU Ukeleles

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org