Chalice News & Notes 6.28.24

Chalice Admin

Jun 28, 2024, 5:01:22 PM (6 days ago) Jun 28
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Upcoming Events

TONIGHT! June 28 - Community Forum: “A Look at Proposition 47” - 7pm on Zoom

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/VeraInstituteofJusticeProp47

June 29 - Chalice Moving Day - We need your help!  9am - 1:00 pm

Contact Randy Slentz: slent...@gmail.com

June 30 - Service to be held online only

July 1 - Racial & Cultural Justice Team - 5:30 on Zoom

July 7 - First service back onsite! With special Lunch after service - 10 am at 3331 Old Conejo Rd. (aka Fellowship Hall)

July 11 - BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative - 6pm on Zoom

July 14 - Ice Cream Social, Scavenger Hunt & Family Check-In - 11:30 (after service) at Chalice

July 21 - Family Hike and Lunch after service

July 21 - Open Mic Nite - 6pm in the Lounge

Prioritizing Care, Safety, and Community Investments:

A Look at Proposition 47 and Other Rollback Efforts

Vera Institute of Justice

TONIGHT! Friday, June 28th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

In 2014, California voters adopted Proposition 47, which changed certain low-level crimes from potential felonies to misdemeanors. The savings from reduced incarceration costs have allowed for over $800M to be reinvested into victim services, treatment, and prevention programs.

A new ballot measure backed by big retailers is looking to roll back key elements of Proposition 47 and increase incarceration by criminalizing homelessness and substance use disorders and increasing theft related penalties and sentencing enhancements. Over the next 10 years, the measure would cost our communities over $1 billion in funding for drug treatment, homelessness prevention, survivor services, and school-based prevention programs.

Join us and the Vera Institute of Justice, a national research and advocacy nonprofit working to end mass incarceration, for a community presentation on Proposition 47 and these rollback efforts.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/VeraInstituteofJusticeProp47

SUNDAY SERVICE

Online ONLY ~  10 am

Tim Snowber with an ONLINE ONLY service from

Flaming Chalice International

My Muzungu Eyes Are Improving

UU Liz James has worked in a variety of service and development projects throughout the world.   Her work with a particular project in Kenya through Flaming Chalice International has been particularly meaningful. In this service she is joined by Rev. Fulgence Ndadigimana, founder of Flaming Chalice, as she shares her work of trying to step back from a colonialist "let me show you how it's done" mindset.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

New Light

We light this chalice to affirm that new light is ever waiting to break through to enlighten our ways:

That new truth is ever waiting to break through to illumine our minds:

And that new love is ever waiting to break through to warm our hearts.

May we be open to this light, and to the rich possibilities that it brings us.

~Charles A. Howe

(adapted from a responsive reading by Napoleon Lovely)

Your help is still needed for our move!

On June 29 we will be continuing our move from Sanctuary to Fellowship Hall. 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. (additional if needed.) Please contact Randy Slentz for more information: slent...@gmail.com

For news and updated about our move, visit the Site Vision page on our website: https://www.chaliceuu.org/our-site-vision/

As you can see, we have many fun activities for you to participate in this summer. On July 14th we hope you’ll stay after service to participate in an Ice Cream Social and Scavenger Hunt for the whole congregation,

followed by a check in for our families.

For any questions or more information, you can contact Samantha Dickerson, our Director of Lifespan Religious Exploration (DLRE) at

d...@chaliceuu.org

Community Life Invites You!

Moonflower Women’s Group

4th Thursday of the month from 7-9 pm

Are you looking to connect with an interesting and supportive women’s discussion group? Please join us for Moonflower on the 4th Thursday of the month from 7-9. Currently we meet on Zoom but we will be discussing the option of meeting in person and sharing a meal. Just send us your email and we'll send you the zoom link (moonf...@chaliceuu.org) or contact Sharon Slentz. Our next meeting is June 27th and we will be discussing "Compassion". We would love for you to join us!

THE CHALICE CLUSTER WEEKEND RETREAT

at Camp deBenneville Pines is coming Soon!

Save the dates:

Friday, September 27 through Sunday, September 29, 2024

Join Chalice members and many of our neighboring congregations for this weekend retreat in the mountains.  Sign up early and join in a beautiful weekend among the towering cedars, oaks, and pines of this beautiful camp owned and operated by the Pacific Southwest Regional Area of the UUA.

The atmosphere is one of fun, camaraderie, and friendship.  This weekend is a chance for the whole family to relax, hike, sing, play games, swim, and enjoy the fresh air among other UUs.

For more information, registration, or to fill our need for a volunteer for Programs, or need for a Nurse contact Annie or David Barker (anniez...@gmail.com, davida...@gmail.com or both at cluster...@chaliceuu.org ).

We welcome your assistance!!! Please let us know!

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month, every other month - Next meeting July 11th 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month @ 12:30 (no meeting in July) will resume in August

Community Forum Team meeting: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Dear UUtheVote Team,

The EVP postcards have arrived. I have 500 and they are going to be in packs of 25. They are due to mail Exactly on Tuesday, August 6. The message is shorter than on the Reclaim The Vote cards. Please send me your order and I will make them ready for you. We will have to cut off the orders for these at 500.

As you complete them, I will collect them and we can stamp them together. Pamela and I will hold them and mail them on 8/6.

We will continue with the Reclaim Our Vote Postcards in a few weeks. There will be 1000s more before the election.

Thank you so much for adding your hands and energy to UUtheVote's mission.

Love,

Jill and Pamela

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Friday, June 28

7:00pm Community Forum - Bail Reform with the Vera Institute

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, June 29

7:30am AA Meeting

9:00 am - 1:00 pm MOVING DAY

10:00am OA Meeting - The Nest

Sunday, June 30

10:00am Chalice Worship Service Online Only (Zoom 2)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, July 1

5:30pm Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting

Tuesday, July 2

6:30pm Community Life Meeting (zoom2)

Wednesday, July 3

6:00pm Portfolio Meeting

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, July 4

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org