Chalice News and Notes 4.15.22

1 view

Chalice Admin

Apr 15, 2022, 5:01:31 PM4/15/22
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Note: Due to the lack of RSVPs, we unfortunately need to cancel tonight's YRUU Hangout. We will see you again on May 20

Join Rev Nica for a contemplative Good Friday service

Online only at 8pm

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

All Ages Chalice Chalk Art Festival

 April 16th 10 am - 2 pm

Bring your sidewalk chalk and come surround our buildings with your personal artwork honoring Chalice and our annual Flower Celebration. Space is limited at this wonderful all ages event so be sure to RSVP as soon as possible: https://bit.ly/ChaliceChalkArt

DO NOT MISS!!!

Project: Music Heals Us

A night of music, film, and conversation

about the power of music to heal the individual and society!

Saturday, April 16th

(Both In-person and Live-stream options available!)

Hear three world-class musicians perform and speak about the power of music to heal the human soul.

Project: Music Heals Us is a non-profit organization that brings the healing power of music to those in desperate need of the human connection and sense of community live music can provide. PMHU's work in hospitals and prisons has earned recognition from musical luminaries like Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax; coverage by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and the BBC; and has been highlighted in the recent Cannes Film Festival award-winning documentary The Sound of Us.

In-Person Attendance Schedule                  Live-Stream via Zoom Schedule:

7:00 p.m. Welcome reception*                       7:30 p.m.  Presentation and Concert

7:30 p.m.  Presentation and Concert

8:45 p.m.  Meet the Musicians Reception

Program:

Works by Brahms, Mendelssohn, Stravinsky, and Rebecca Clarke.

Plus, a special preview

An excerpt from The Sound of Us will be screened at the concert

Detailed information about the event and performers here:

https://www.chaliceuu.org/justice/community-forum/

*Please join us at 7:00 on the patio for conversation and drinks, plus a silent  auction of Larry Janss’ beautiful photographs

In-person concert: minimum donation $25

Live-stream concert: suggested donation $10.

No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

To attend In-person, please register in advance here:  https://pmhu.kindful.com/e/chaliceconcert

To view the Live-stream, please register in advance here:  https://pmhu.kindful.com/e/chaliceconcertzoom

Our Mission: To nurture spiritually courageous people who transform the world through justice and compassion.

Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley

3327 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park

fo...@chaliceuu.org

Next Service - 10 am - In person or online

Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn

Easter Service: Love is Stronger than Death

This Easter Sunday we explore the nature of love and its power to outlast even death. Join us for a Unitarian Universalist interpretation of the Easter story, as well as our traditional, annual Flower Celebration. Please bring a flower to share with your fellow Chalice folk, or if you are joining us by zoom, have flowers ready at home. If you are able to join us in person you will also see the amazing chalk art paintings created around our buildings by Chalice families.

Join Zoom Meeting at 10:00 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

We are adding a new element to our service! Beginning this week we will be singing our children out of the Sanctuary after Joys and Sorrows with a special song by our very own music director, Anthony Concepcion and Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn! For a preview of this beautiful tune ‘The Lamp of Love’ and to learn it, you can listen here: https://youtu.be/TnhMq3OEW2M

Should you want to practice singing along, the lyrics are:

May the lamp of light and peace,

Guide you on your way.

May it hold you, may it hold you.

May it hold you in our love, may it hold you in our love,

Each and every day.

We hope you enjoy this new addition to our service this Sunday!

Donations for Refugee Families Requested

on Easter Sunday

The 4th Monday afternoon Chalice Circle has chosen, as their service project, to support the Conejo Interfaith Refugee Team (CIRT). This involves collecting donations for refugees who are resettling in our area. You can give as little or as much as you want that fit into specific parameters. Baskets will be assembled from donated items so do not feel that you need to donate a lot. The request is that everything be new and please do not include items not requested in the lists (see below). We will collect items for the month of April with a very special collection on Easter Sunday. In addition, if you would like to make a donation out to “cash”, that can be used to purchase needed items for you. Cash donations can  also be made to the following PayPal account with a notation that it is a donation for the Women's Interfaith Refugee Collection: mrwi...@hotmail.com

Here are the specific items requested:

PLEASE BRING THESE ITEMS TO CHALICE ON EASTER SUNDAY!

To learn more about Conejo Interfaith Refugee Team, visit:

https://www.justserve.org/projects/8c5f9dd9-af4d-474f-b2d5-5108831593a3

If you have more questions or would like to coordinate a drop off, you may reach out to Marcy Wingard at: mrwi...@hotmail.com  or Candy Gantka at cga...@gmail.com

Family Chapel

Sunday mornings 9-9:30am

Check In opportunities with your friends in RE!

Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81860584057?pwd=SkppaGd1TlhraEh0b3BSemdrUGtidz09

Have ideas about what you want to see in RE?

Email your DRE Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

Crossing Paths will not meet this Sunday

We will resume on Sunday, April 24, 2-3pm.

Questions? Contact your Director of Religious Education, Sam Dickerson, at d...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

We give thanks for life reborn.

We give thanks for joy to overcome loss and pain.

We give thanks for the earth as it blooms its renewal.

We give thanks that all living things are revived.

As a sign of our gratitude,

We light this chalice to welcome all new songs of life.

~Mark Harris

Our annual AUCTION is only a month away

And we want your participation!

The 2022 Auction will be live and in person, with a silent online auction starting April 23rd  and a live auction event on May 7th, from 5:30 – 9 pm. at the Palm Garden Hotel 495 N. Ventu Park Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320.

Register for the live auction at:

Chalice - Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley

In addition to ordering tickets, you can take part in the auction in a number of ways. Record yourself on your phone and send it in… all are asked to send in a clip to be used in a video featuring your footage and a fun 60's music mashup which we’ll air at our Auction! Only the video portion will be used, so don’t worry about the audio.  We’ll use everything we can and being able to see and recognize who it is in the video is also desirable.  So have FUN!

Email your videos for this project by Sunday, May 1st,

directly to Michael Guinn at:  Michae...@mac.com

You may also direct any questions about the video project to that same email

And finally, We’re still looking for wonderful, creative items and experiences to tempt and delight our members and friends – all to benefit Chalice. All kinds of experiences are welcome! In addition we seek donations of gift cards (valued at $25 or more).

To submit auction donations please click this link: https://forms.gle/FWeegcHjsSt9vf6UA

Direct any questions regarding donations, to Marcy Wingard at:

(805) 204-6052 or mrwi...@hotmail.com

UU the Vote is up and waiting for you!

We are proud to say that so far our UUtheVote group of postcard writers are finishing up their first two thousand postcards to voters and are about to start on their third thousand.  Pamela is unable to continue her participation in this important UU program and Jill will need help to continue her leadership and support of the UUtheVote project.  If we can have one (preferably two, maybe even three) volunteers step up and help with distribution and coordination, that would be AMAZING.  Let's keep UUtheVote moving forward so we can continue to be part of the change we want to see.

Chalice Women’s Retreat is Back! NEW PLAN!

Hope you’ll join us for a day-long gathering in Camarillo!

Saturday, May 21, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

In lieu of our weekend in the mountains this year, the women of Chalice are invited to gather for a local retreat.  We will reconnect and build new relationships while exploring May’s theme of Nurturing Beauty. Join us at Ellen Smith’s beautiful home for discussion, crafts, quiet reflection, and lunch.

Weather permitting, much of the day will be spent outdoors on the patios and in the gardens. We do request participants are fully vaccinated, if medically able. Masks will be requested during any indoor portion of the day.  The cost to participate is $25, which includes the meal, snacks, beverages, and supplies. Scholarships are available.

Space is limited. Please contact Andy Pletcher as soon as possible, but no later than April 30, to confirm your interest and hold your place. Her email address is andypl...@gmail.com

Contact Jill Schlaus or Andy Pletcher with additional questions. We hope to see you there.

Your Retreat Team:

Jill Schlaus, Andy Pletcher & Kelly Castillo

Starting Point Journey Circle - Starting soon!

Let us know if you’re interested!

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Curious about the Starting Point Journey Circle?

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members ~

Starting Point is a three session group, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested. All sessions from 1- 3 pm at Chalice

  • May 1st: Session 1 explores our personal spiritual journeys.

  • May 15th: Session 2 examines UU and Chalice’s history.

  • June 5th: Session 3 looks at our UU Theological journey.

If you have any questions or would be interested in Starting Point, please contact us at SPi...@chaliceuu.org

Did you know that Chalice has a library?

The Library is open on Sundays from 11:30- 12:30.

Housed upstairs in the board room of Fellowship Hall, curated and organized by our very own librarian, Sylvia Flores Johnson, this collection of treasures is available for members to read and borrow. We have books on all kinds of fascinating subjects. We’d love for you to drop by after service! And if you took out books before the pandemic, now is a great time to return them and check out something new!

General Assembly Registration now open - Join Rev Nica

 June 22-26th 2022

online or in-person in Portland, Oregon

with Ibrahim X. Kendi as Ware Speaker scheduled to lecture on

June 25th @ 4pm pacific

General Assembly 2022 will be a multiplatform event, with registration options for in-person and/or virtual participation. In-person registration includes access to events scheduled to take place in Portland, Oregon, as well as everything available to virtual registrants. Full virtual registration includes access to the GA app, as well as all on-demand programming, live webinars, and live-streamed events.

Register now. Prices go up May 1st

https://www.uua.org/ga/registration

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

City of Calabasas Earth Day Celebration/Green Expo

26520-26664 Agoura Rd, Calabasas, CA 91302

April 16, 2022 from 2:00pm to 5:00pm

The City of Calabasas Earth Day Celebration/Green Expo will take place on Saturday, April 16, 2022 from 2:00pm to 5:00pm at the Las Virgenes Creek site, south of Agoura Rd. in Calabasas. Over fifty exhibitors from all over Los Angeles County and Ventura County will be participating in the event to help participants take actions that will save them money through efficiency while protecting our planet.

The festival is FREE of charge and the Calabasas Earth Day event will have something of interest for everyone. The festival will also feature numerous children’s activities to teach kids about the environment while they have fun.

Building Beloved Community Advocates

 group invites you to a monthly

Our Monthly First Fridays Movie Discussion

On May 6th

We’ll Discuss Black Panther

Watch the movie in advance on your own

OR

Watch in person at 3:00 p.m. in Fellowship Hall, hosted by BBCA!

Then join us virtually at 7:00 p.m. for conversation here:

https://zoom.us/j/94593796809?pwd=MGxldU1CM2VkUVhqVHJiM1VNUW9tZz09

And on June 3rd, we’ll be watching Real Women Have Curves

These movie discussion nights are meant to bring us together to explore these themes as a faith community.  If you missed the Midyear meeting during which BBCA introduce ourselves, please watch our 7 minute video here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13iI1WunXhEijAA238ZJRQ-sSmT8kMxas/view?usp=sharing

And please let us know for which activities you'd like to receive special notice by completing our 3 minute survey here:

BBCA survey link: https://bit.ly/BBCAinterestsurvey

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month - 5 pm - Note: the April 25th meeting has been postponed and the Community Forum team will be meeting on May 9th instead

Friday, April 15

8:00pm Chalice Good Friday Service

Saturday, April 16

10:00am - 2:00 pm Chalk Art Fest

7:00pm Community Forum: Project Music Heals Us

Sunday, April 17

10:00am Chalice Easter Worship Service & Flower Celebration Live and (Zoom 2)

11:15am Easter Egg Hunt and Cookie Decorating

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Tuesday, April 19

7:00pm Board Meeting (Zoom2)

Wednesday, April 20

1:00pm Chalice Circle: 3rd Wednesday (zoom B)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Bi-monthly Council Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Chalice Circle: 3rd Wednesday (zoom)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, April 21

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org