Chalice Order of Service 5.12.24

1 view

Chalice Admin

May 12, 2024, 8:00:43 AMMay 12
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

SUNDAY SERVICE

Onsite and Online ~  10 am

Grenda David

Beyond Cookbooks & Flowers:

Why Mother’s Day Matters More Than Ever in this Election Year

Every day women in America created Mother’s Day not simply to honor women, but to unify and empower women to make social justice change. Let’s step back in time together to revisit the origins of Mother’s Day to reflect on how unstoppable we can be when united behind our determination to create a just and loving world.  Along the journey, we will hear from celebrated spoken word poets who offer inspiration and celebration of women.  Grenda will share from her own life experiences as a woman and mother and offer a call to action and share ways to make our collective voices matter in this election year.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

Month Theme - Pluralism

Welcome - Grenda David

Opening Spoken Word Poem:  Maya Angelou recites her poem, ”Still I Rise” [Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviM_GnJbOM

Introduction – Claudia Barton

Call to Worship – Grenda David

Chalice Lighting – Claudia Barton

Opening Hymn - #Hymn 170 “We Are A Gentle, Angry People”

Time for All Ages – Introduced by Grenda David, “The Voice That Won the Vote: How One Woman’s Words Made History”, written by Elisa Boxer and Illustrated by Vivien Mildenberger,

[Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18wglVTMsu4

Manna Collection - Grenda David

Announcements - Claudia Barton

Singing Our Children Out - Grenda David & Anthony Concepcion

Offering Music - Women of the World presents “Bread and Roses”, based on the poem by James Oppenhain published in 1911. This version is based on the melody written by Margarita Mimi Baez Fariña in 1974.

[Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mSln34ZwA

Receiving the Offering - Grenda David

Joys and Sorrows - You may write your Joys and Sorrows in the chatbox during the service if you are online. If you are in person please fill out an index card. You can also email your joys or concerns during the week to

wor...@chaliceuu.org

Time of Meditation - Grenda David

Meditation Poem - Amena Brown shares the spoken word poem, For the Women” [Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKk12eiUnmI

Meditation Hymn - Hymn # 396 - “I Know This Rose Will Open”

Spoken Word Poem - Sara Kay titled, “If I Had a Daughter.”

[Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snNB1yS3IE

Sermon - “Beyond Cookbooks & Flowers: Why Mother’s Day Matters More than Ever in this Election Year” - Grenda David

Closing Hymn - Hymn #131 "Love Will Guide Us"

Benediction - Grenda David

Extinguishing the Chalice - Grenda David

Closing Words - Grenda David

Postlude - Anthony Concepcion