Chalice News and Notes 2.17.23

1 view

Chalice Admin

Feb 17, 2023, 5:02:01 PM2/17/23
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Feb 17 - YRUU (high school) hangouts - 6-8 pm

RSVP: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Feb 17 - Community Forum - Restorative Justice: Harm to Healing - 7 pm

Register in advance: https://bit.ly/RestorativeJusticeTransformingHarmtoHealing

Feb 19 - Open Mic Night - sign ups 5:30 / begins at 6pm

Feb 23 - Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2) - 7 pm

            Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom) - 7 pm

Feb 24 - Young Adult Hangout (18-25) - 6-8 pm

Please RSVP by Feb 23rd: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

YRUU (High School) Hangout

February 17th - 6-8 pm in Social Hall

Young Adult Hangout February 24th

RSVP by February 23rd: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Restorative Justice –

Transforming Harm to Healing

Tonight Friday, February 17th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

with

Erik Nasarenko, Ventura County District Attorney

Heather Garcia, Victor Juarez, and Sarah Mendez, Interface Children & Family Services

Chris Modica, Ventura County Probation

Transforming Harm to Healing is a Restorative Justice Program aimed at reducing disparities in the juvenile justice system and preventing recidivism. Hear how this process can allow the non-violent offender to learn how their actions caused harm and help offer empowerment and closure to the victim.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/RestorativeJusticeTransformingHarmtoHealing

Our Mission: To nurture spiritually courageous people who transform the world through justice and compassion.

OUR PROGRAM IS FREE BUT DONATIONS ARE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

In Person & Online Service - 10 am

Grenda David & Matt Chapa

The Vulnerability of Friendship - Life Lessons from Pooh and Friends

As we continue in our exploration of vulnerability in the month of February, let's explore together what the master teacher, Winnie the Pooh (and his friends) have to teach us about ourselves and life.  Somehow all of life teaches if we are willing to be students.  Even Eeyore has something to offer.

Join us in person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Crossing Paths for Adults

Sundays

1-2:30 pm

This month being held in the library/ board room

(at the top of the stairs in Fellowship Hall)

This month Hinduism

Please Note we will not have a meeting on Feb. 26th

RSVP: https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

OWL

Sundays - 1:00 pm

Grades 7-9  in

Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Please address any communications or questions to: O...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

With humility and courage born of our history, we

are called as Unitarian Universalists to build

beloved community where all souls are welcome

as blessings, and the human family lives whole

and reconciled in love.  With this vision of friendship

and community in our hearts and minds, we light our chalice.

Underwear Collection Challenge!

We are currently at 126 pairs…

Help us to reach 300 pairs - details below!

Did you know YOU can help some struggling families stay housed? Here's an example of what people of faith and good will can do:

Ventura Homeless Prevention helps families with a one-time rent payment to keep them in their home. In its 15 years, this private nonprofit has assisted 2,000 families that have experienced a one-time set-back by providing one month's rent.

Ventura Homeless Prevention is a private nonprofit with a rigorous screening process, but it's more flexible and faster than government-run rental assistance programs. Its fund depends mostly on individual donations.

The folks who run the Ventura program would be HAPPY to help you start a similar program in YOUR city! Send an inquiry to VenturaHomel...@gmail.com and they'll be in touch with you.

Chalice Women’s Retreat 2023

Hope you’ll join us at Camp de Benneville Pines

Friday, March 24 through Sunday, March 26

We are planning a return to the mountains for fellowship.

Our theme this year is Being Enough!

The camp is 2.5 – 4.5 hours away, nestled in the Jeffrey Pines of the San Bernadino Mountains, not far from Big Bear or Redlands. We sleep in heated cabins, with full bathrooms, and meals are included.  We take turns sharing in the meal preparation and most women choose to carpool to and from the retreat. Participation in the program portion is expected, and there is always time for crafts, hiking, and quiet reflection.

The camp is only allowing fully vaccinated campers, and may even require a booster, still to be determined. Social distancing will not really be possible. We will be cooking together and sharing the small common area during our meals and program portion. Please consider whether you will be comfortable in that setting, then click the link  to register and take an important survey. Your responses are important to us. Your input helps us make the best judgment calls as we consider plans for keeping our community safe and engaged. Women's Retreat Survey/Registration

The price is $160, and some scholarships will be available if needed. If you choose to participate, please register at the link above  by Sunday, January  30, the sooner the better.   Contact Jill Schlaus or Andy Pletcher with additional questions.

Your Retreat Team:

Jill Schlaus, Andy Pletcher & Kelly Castillo

PSW ASSEMBLY REGISTRATION

Opens tomorrow!

This year’s assembly will be held at the beautiful congregational facility, Unitarian Universalists San Luis Obispo. Join us to share what’s going on in your congregation and to enjoy meaningful keynote topics, an assortmanet of workshops, youth con activities, worship, meals and more! Keynote Speakers will  include Speaker Chairwoman Violet Sage Walker of the Northern Chumash Tribal Council (NCTC) and Mona Olivas Tucker of the Northern Chumash Tribe.

Full Details about the event available here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16HepIuli1PR5i6WCPDNcBpjCdTxJJVD_ni0tvsoNrzk/edit?usp=sharing

Registration Opens

7am, Saturday 2/18/23 for the Assembly:

https://www.uucamp.org/camp-calendar/?event_id1=9158

 and

7am, Saturday 2/25/23 for the Youth Con (grades 8-12):

https://www.uucamp.org/2023/02/14/2023-pacific-southwest-service-area-assembly

Youth Con is open to youth ages 14-18 who will be involved in their own programming during the weekend. They will have the opportunity to foster relationship building, expand leadership skills, and develop a deeper faith identity.

If you have further questions about the Youth Con please contact our director of religious education, Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org

Starting Point Journey Circle

Begins Sunday, April 16th, 1 - 3 pm

In person @ Chalice

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Sign up for our next Starting Point Journey Circle

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members

We invite you to join our UU journey program called 'Starting Point’.

Starting Point is a three session series, led by Rev. Nica, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

All are welcome to this class by prior registration.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

  • Sunday, April 16  - 1-3 pm - Session 1 will explore our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Sunday, May 21 - 1-3 pm - Session 2 will examine UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Wednesday, May 31 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm- Session 3 will look at our UU Theological journey.

For more information, you can email SPi...@chaliceuu.org

Families with elementary age kids

SAVE THE DATES!  Plan ahead for summer 2023 camps

(registration will open in March):

Elementary camp: July 9-15

Middle School camp: July 16-22

Sr High School camp: July 23-29

Family Camp: July 30-Aug 5th

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Save dates for

Climate Action Sign-making and National Day of Action:

March 11 & March 21

“The climate crisis poses a grave threat to every aspect of our economy and our everyday lives, which is why our entire banking system needs to divest from the fossil fuel industry and reinvest resources into a clean, just, renewable economy.” 350.org

WHAT:  The Chalice Climate Action Team (CCAT) is preparing to join a National Day of Action to publicize how banks are making our climate crisis worse.  Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank and Bank of America are major investors in fossil fuels.  We’ll ask people to consider moving their money to other banks or credit unions which do not invest in oil, gas or pipelines.

WHEN: Saturday, March 11, at 11am Sign-making - bring friends, energy, and creativity to Chalice Fellowship Hall.  We’ll have snacks as we plan and make signs with positive messaging for the day of action.

March 21 National Day of Action - people across America will hold signs outside banks to let communities know how bank investments drive future fossil fuels and our climate crisis.

WHY: Money in the bank may be the largest part of a person’s carbon footprint. Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank or Bank of America are the largest U.S. banking investors in fossil fuels.  People who move their funds to more responsible institutions help send the message that we prioritize a livable future.

According to https://thirdact.org/national-day-of-action/, a $62,500 deposit loaned by the bank for pipelines, frack wells, coal, and oil exploration produces more carbon than all the driving, cooking, heating, cooling, and flying an average American will do in 6 months! Please act with us!

For more info contact ghc...@yahoo.com or see also: https://www.bankingonclimatechaos.org/

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Friday, February 17

6:00pm YRUU Hangout

7:00pm Community Forum: Restorative Justice - Transforming Harm to Healing (zoom2)

Saturday, February 18

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, February 19

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am RE: Reflections

11:30am RE: Serenity

11:30am RE: YRUU

12:00pm RE Committee meeting

12:30pm baby grand piano moving into Social Hall has been rescheduled. Time TBD

1:00pm Crossing Paths for Adults - Hinduism - Held in Board Rm/ Library

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

6:00pm 3rd Sunday of the Month Open Mic

Monday, February 20

1:00pm 3rd Monday Chalice Circle (zoom)

6:00pm LCC Monthly Meeting (Zoom2)

Tuesday, February 21

7:00pm 3rd Tuesday Chalice Circle (zoom)

7:00pm Board Meeting (Zoom2)

Wednesday, February 22

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Sitevisioning meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, February 23

6:30pm Stewardship Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom)

Friday, February 24

6:00pm YA Hangout

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May