Chalice News and Notes

Chalice Admin

Apr 12, 2024, 5:00:59 PMApr 12
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Upcoming Events

Friday April 12- Community Forum: “The Attack on Democracy, and How We Can Help Protect It” - 7pm via Zoom

registration for the Zoom link here: https://bit.ly/AttackonDemocracyandHowWeCanHelpProtectIt

April 13 - Citizen’s Climate Lobby - 9 am  Social Hall

April 14 - Families Care - after service Social Hall

April 18 - Living Dharma Discussion & Meditation - 7:30 pm Social Hall

April 21 - Open Mic Nite - 6pm  Sanctuary

April 28 - Article II Conversation - Share and Learn -after service Sanctuary

May 5 - Meet the Minister - after service in the Nest (upstairs FH)

May 5 - Article II Discuss the Pros & Cons - 12:00 pm  in the Sanctuary

May 19 - Pancake Breakfast - 11:30 am Social Hall

The Attack on Democracy, and How We Can Help Protect It

with David Pepper

Friday, April 12th - 7:00 pm via Zoom

David Pepper, author of Laboratories of Autocracy and Saving Democracy, details the breadth and depth of the assaults on democracy and how everyone from elected officials to everyday citizens can fight back.

“American democracy can be resuscitated – its roots planted far more deeply into our soil.  American governance can once again reflect the voted will of the broad, diverse electorate that comprises the American majority.”   *Saving Democracy – David Pepper

David Pepper is a lawyer, writer, democracy activist, former elected official, and adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Law.

More information and registration for the Zoom link here: https://bit.ly/AttackonDemocracyandHowWeCanHelpProtectIt

OUR PROGRAM IS FREE BUT DONATIONS ARE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley, fo...@chaliceuu.org

Citizens Climate Lobby

Meets Saturday, April 13th at 9am

Meetings are open to anyone interested in saving our planet!

Here is the sign-on info:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82274752266?pwd=YUR1enR2RXFQLzN1a0xTK0NiYXRqZz09

Or:

Meeting ID: 822 7475 2266

Passcode: 271577

SUNDAY SERVICE

In Person and Online ~  10 am

Grenda David

Inside Out: The Spiritual Anatomy of Conflict

Is it possible to heal relationships (and perhaps our world) by doing our own inner work?  Join in exploring how conflict in our relationships may be a reflection of what is happening inside of self.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

Curious about the future of our Buildings?

Every Sunday after service, Randy Slentz, a member of the site visioning team, will be available in the Sanctuary to provide updates as to the status of our buildings and our potential move. We invite you to stay after service, stay in the know and get your questions answered!

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

In the beginning

There was light

Infinite and expansive

Flowing out from an unseen center.

Throughout Creation

There is light

From the steady Sun

The glowing Moon

The flashing Meteor

The twinkling Stars

And the auroras dancing in the northern skies.

Within each part of Creation

There is light

Slowed down and held close

By every cell and molecule

By each atom and element.

Within you

There is light

The same light as the Source

The same radiance that is in all creatures.

May this small flame

Be a constant reminder to us

Of our true nature

And our kinship with all beings.

~Eric Williams

TOMORROW - Memorial Service to honor Deryck True

Saturday, April 13 at UU Studio City

12355 Moorpark St. Studio City, Ca 91604.

Hello Chalice community,

   Many thanks to those friends of my father, Deryck True, who will be making their way to his Celebration Of Life at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Studio City on Saturday, April 13 at 11:00am.

For those who may not be able to attend in person, you are very welcome to view a Zoom live stream of the service, which you may join at the link below:

https://zoom.us/j/97909372171?pwd=bVNPTDV1Zm56dWZhMTlOUW5vM1IzUT09

Best wishes always,

Colin True

Families Care

 April 14th

We'll be holding our final Families Care of the year in April.

Bring items to make care kits for the unhoused.

We are in need of the following new and unopened items:

  • shampoo/conditioner

  • body wash

  • toothpaste

  • toothbrushes

  • combs

  • deodorant

All donations are deeply appreciated.

 Items can be brought to the Social Hall before the service on 4/14.

If you need to make other arrangements, please contact Sam d...@chaliceuu.org

Living Dharma Connection

3rd Monday of every month

Please Note that this Month

We’ll be meeting on

Thursday April 18th rather than our regular Monday

7:30 to 9:00 pm

Hybrid: in Social Hall & Zoom

This informal Buddhist meditation and Dharma discussion group is open to everyone. To join and receive monthly meeting details/readings, please contact Frédérik Sisa by email at freder...@protonmail.com.

“It’s About Time”  Annual Cabaret

CALL for ACTS/ PERFORMERS

Let Anthony know by April 28th!

It’s that time; Chalice’s annual Cabaret is June 15th at 7pm - our last one in the Sanctuary - and we want you to participate! We welcome all types of talents. Musicians, magicians, storytellers, dancers and more are all encouraged to perform! This year’s theme is “time.”

As we prepare for our upcoming move into our new home, let’s reflect on time and its impact on our lives. We’re putting out a special call for dancers and/or choreographers to help with Rocky Horror Picture Show’s “Time Warp!” If you’re interested in being a part of our cabaret, please email music director, Anthony, by April 28th. Rehearsals will be held Wednesday and/or Thursday evenings beginning May 1st.

musicd...@chaliceuu.org

We need Content for our Social Media!

Our Social Media manager, Julia, needs content, something that represents your connection to our unique faith. Maybe for you it is a video of a hummingbird in your backyard, a flower you saw on your morning walk, the meditation cushion that you sit on each morning, or a journal that you write in each night. We need pictures or videos to tell people who we are and what is meaningful to you about Chalice and Unitarian Universalism. These videos and pictures can be fun, creative, peaceful, contemplative. You get the idea!

It’s easy to upload them to Telegram. Here’s how:

We Need You on Zoom!

Anyone want to contribute a few hours a month on a few Sunday mornings and join our Zoomtech team? You do NOT need to be a tech wizard, only mildly competent on Zoom. We will train you in a couple hours and you can practice with oversight before running a program.

It’s a lot of fun, but the Zoom team is shrinking and so experiencing some overload. We need you! And more importantly, so does the audience who Zooms in.

If interested, please email Sue Norton at sueda...@gmail.com.

Attention Chalice Men - DeBenneville Camp Men’s Retreat

Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st

Are you Interested in:

-Deepening your relationships/connection to other men?

-Exploring the challenges and changes we face in the contemporary world?

-Learning about transitions we go through as we move through adulthood and into our later years?

Men's Retreat Weekend at Camp DeBenneville Pines Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st.  This is an annual Spring Renewal retreat put together by the First UU Church of San Diego as part of their ongoing men's program.  If there is enough interest from Chalice, there may be the possibility of having our own breakout group within the context of the larger retreat.

If interested please contact Tim Snowber at 805-204-6037 or tmsn...@gmail.com.  (Texting is the best way to reach me.)

April 28th at 11:30 am (after service)

 & May 5th at 12:00

in the Sanctuary

Please join us for two opportunities to share, learn and discuss Article II which will be voted on at General Assembly this summer. On April 28th we will have a “Share and Learn” discussion held in the Sanctuary following service. On May 5th we will discuss the Pros & Cons of Article II and what it means for our faith moving forward. We hope you’ll join us for these two gatherings!

Newcomers - We would like to invite people who have recently begun attending our services to meet Reverend Nica Eaton. You will have a chance to ask questions and to get to know her and our loving community a little better. We hope you will join her after service upstairs in Fellowship Hall to say hello!

April 26-28

We have 6 open positions for delegates to this Assembly in Ventura.

Please let Annie Barker know if you plan to attend, either virtually or in person and wish to be a delegate.

Contact pres...@chaliceuu.org

More Info here: 2024 Pacific Southwest Service Area Assembly

REGISTER HERE

If you have questions about registration you can also contact Laura Chamberlin @ fundr...@uucamp.org.

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month once a quarter - Next meeting June 13th  6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month @ 12:30

Community Forum Team meeting: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Farm Sanctuary Visit!

Sunday, April 14th at 1:00pm

Contact Clint at citize...@protonmail.com and let me know if you’re interested. We’d like to put together a group of no more than 10 people.

Kids and families welcome. First come, first served!

What: A special visit to the Saving Grace Animal Sanctuary.

When: Sunday, April 14th at 1:00pm.

Where: Saving Grace Animal Sanctuary

1575 Sierra Highway, Acton, CA 93510

https://www.savinggraceanimalsanctuary.org/animals

Why: Simply put, to enjoy the company of amazing animals!

Here’s the longer answer: There’s a direct connection from animal agriculture to the climate and environment crises. Animal agriculture is responsible for at least 14.5% of greenhouse gas emissions. It’s one of the leading causes of biodiversity loss, also known as the extinction crisis. Animal agriculture is the number one driver of deforestation and responsible for 20 to 33 percent of all freshwater consumption in the world. In a new study, researchers found that alfalfa and other cattle-feed crops consume 46% of the water that is diverted from the Colorado River. In the United States

alone, animal agriculture guzzles 36 to 74 trillion gallons of water per year. There’s an almost endless list of harms done by the animal agriculture industry to the climate and environment. Plant-based foods offer an alternative to the harmful foods provided by animal agriculture. It’s easier to move towards a more plant-based diet when you’ve made the connection between the animals and the food on your plate.

We now have 850 new postcards, a Second Phase of Virginia cards. As before, they are bundled in 20's. Please email your order to us. We will be meeting upstairs after Sunday Service in the boardroom.

 Friends, we will continue all the way to through mid-October. Let's keep on working together to save our democracy! Please email us at contactu...@chaliceuu.org

Love,

Jill and Pamela

ARBOR EARTH DAY!

April 20th 10 am - 2 pm

T.O. Community Center

Chalice Climate Action Team and other groups will be tabling at this uplifting family friendly community event at 2525 N. Moorpark Rd in T.O. If you have a bit of time, join us in offering connection and meaningful action. Contact Barbara Leighton for more info: belei...@yahoo.com

The Women’s Interfaith Network

Cleaning Supply Drive

to benefit residents of Many Mansions

May 1st 6:30 pm

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Friday, April 12

7:00pm Community Forum: The Attack on Democracy, and How We Can Help Protect It (zoom2)

Saturday, April 13

7:30am AA Meeting

9:00am Citizens Climate Lobby

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, April 14

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

10:30am Families Care

4:00pm WEAV (Zoom2)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, April 15

7:00pm Community Forum Planning Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm LCC Monthly Meeting (zoom2)

Tuesday, April 16

7:00pm Board Meeting (Zoom 2)

Wednesday, April 17

5:30pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Finance SVT 1 & 3rd wed. meeting (zoom2 )

7:00pm 3rd Wed. Chalice Circle (Zoom2)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, April 18

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

7:00pm 3rd Thursday Chalice Circle

7:30pm Living Dharma Connection - Meditation & Discussion (In FH & hybrid)

Friday, April 19

 Pacific Western Regional Assembly- Hybrid

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org