Chalice News and Notes 12.24.21

Chalice Admin

Dec 24, 2021, 2:01:30 PM12/24/21
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through Justice and Compassion.

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Next Service

Christmas Eve - 4:00 pm

Joy to the World

Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn

Join us to bring joy to the world as we celebrate Christmas Eve together. Come in person or join us online. Rumor has it that Santa may even try to squeeze in a visit. Those in person will share in traditional Christmas egg nog and cookies after the service. Service at 4 pm.

Join Zoom Meeting at 4:00 pm

PLEASE NOTE, THIS IS NOT OUR REGULAR SUNDAY ZOOM LINK, USE THIS LINK:

https://zoom.us/j/93532353285?pwd=VWVxaHZYcmNPRDRIcWc3Rm0ySDVzUT09

Meeting ID: 935 3235 3285

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 644216

There will be no Family Chapel

on December 24th

or on Sunday, Dec 26th

Sunday’s Service - Online only - Dec. 26th 10am

Another serving of humility please...

Matthew Chapa

Using his recent trip to Ecuador/Galapagos- and as a plant based fellow- Matthew Chapa, a Chalice Worship Associate, will explore living life with reflection and humility.

Join Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting

 Meets 4th Sunday of the Month

Next meeting Sunday, December 26th at 12:30 p.m.

Displaying Climate Action Team.jpg

Join us for a discussion on action items to help tackle the climate crisis.

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

CCAT: Respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part, the Chalice Climate Action Team educates ourselves and connects with others to advocate for a just and sustainable future for life on Earth.

Middle School Hangout

Friday, January 7th 6-8 pm

Fellowship Hall @ Chalice

Please RSVP by the Thursday prior  (January 6th) : https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Contacts: Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

Ellis Rausch ellis....@gmail.com

Crossing Paths - for Middle Schoolers

What is Crossing Paths? Crossing Paths is an interfaith exploration program brought to us from Soul Matters. The program includes an emphasis on theological grounding, a distinct take on religious pluralism ("Many Mountains, Many Paths") and an abundance of experiential learning while also maintaining a focus on UU youth identity formation. Each month a new religion is explored, including Buddhism, Catholicism, Quakerism, Paganism, and more.

In January we will explore…

Quakerism!

This program is geared toward our Middle School-aged youth (6th through 8th grade). Each Sunday we will share in discussions, activities, videos, music, and games while we practice our Unitarian Universalist Principles of “acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations” and “a free and responsible search for truth and meaning.”

When: Sundays, beginning 1/9

Time: 2-3pm

Where: Fellowship Hall at Chalice (Yes, in person!)

**Masks must be worn by all who attend.

Please RSVP here: https://bit.ly/ChaliceCP. Youth need only show up with open minds and hearts. Attendance throughout the month is strongly recommended. Families need not be members for youth to attend. Friends welcome!

Questions? Contact your Director of Religious Education, Sam Dickerson, at d...@chaliceuu.org.

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

We gather together on this Christmas Eve as fellow sojourners looking for light, for hope, for peace, for joy and for love.

We gather as people from many backgrounds, many faiths, many cultures, and many spiritual paths.

But as we light this chalice, we gather as one body looking to the Nativity for its message to all of humanity.

Its message is that there is light, there is hope, there is peace, (there is joy), and there is love.

~ Rev. Dr. Dan Lambert

Starting Point Journey Circle

Let us know if you’re interested!

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Curious about the Starting Point Journey Circle?

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members.

Starting Point is a three session group, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

  • Sunday, January 23, 2022 from 1-3 pm

    • Session 1 explores our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Sunday, February 20, 2022 from 1-3 pm

    • Session 2 examines UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Thursday, March 17, 2022  - 6-8:30 pm

    • Session 3 looks at our UU Theological journey.

If you have any questions or would be interested in Starting Point, please contact us at SPi...@chaliceuu.org

PWR Regional Assembly - February 4-6th, 2022

So much is uncertain right now as we enter the 21st month of a worldwide pandemic. But two things remain certain: we need Unitarian Universalist community more than ever, and the Pacific Western Region of the UUA is having a Regional Assembly to bring us together.

Our PWR Regional Assembly is that inspirational, radically inclusive, beyond-the-congregation UU community we’ve missed. We can engage fully, wherever we are. Whether onsite at the Hyatt along the bay in San Diego, or online in the comfort of our own homes, we will have opportunities for connection in small groups, inspirational worship, transformative learning, and just plain community fun.

Our schedule and speakers aren’t fully worked out yet (because, well, you know, COVID) but here is what we know for sure:

  • We’ll start on Friday, February 4th with an optional Border Justice experience. With on-line and in-person components, our community service/learning/justice opportunity is being developed with UURISE and other local partners. All onsite events will happen on the US side of the Mexican border. Friday evening is when the main conference begins.

  • Our theme, Reflect, Rejoice, Renew, sums up the experience we’re creating with our speakers, workshops, small groups, and social time. We’ve been through so much upheaval, grief, and change in our lives and in our religious communities. Together we will be: rejoicing in one another’s company again, reflecting on what we’ve been through, and renewing ourselves, our commitments, and our UU faith.

  • We conclude on Sunday, February 6th with a worship service, pre-recorded and broadcast to both an onsite and an online audience.

  • We’re venturing into new territory together, with a fully-online and fully-onsite unified program. It’s our first major UUA multiplatform event! You’ll be part of history! This will be an experiment, and we’ll all be blessed with the joys, and challenges, of trying new things.

Visit our webpage to learn more and register. We are so excited to see you there—we can’t wait to be together again.

Note: originally this was scheduled to be a hybrid online and in person class, however due to the nature of the material being covered, we have decided to focus on an in-person experience only and eliminate the online feature. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Camp is slowly opening back up and we’re planning a return to the mountains for fellowship and an exploration of Faith and Renewal! We will have a total of 22 spots available this year and will have a lottery if interest exceeds capacity. The camp is only allowing fully vaccinated campers, and may even require a booster, still to be determined. That said, our space is limited and social distancing will not really be possible. We will be cooking together and sharing the small common area during our meals and program portion. Please consider whether you will be comfortable in that setting.

The camp is 2.5 – 4.5 hours away, nestled in the Jeffrey Pines of the San Bernadino Mountains, not far from Big Bear or Redlands. We sleep in heated cabins, with full bathrooms, and meals are included.  We take turns sharing in the meal preparation and most women choose to carpool to and from the retreat. Participation in the program portion is expected, and there is always time for crafts, hiking, and quiet reflection.

The price is $160, and some scholarships will be available if needed. If you choose to participate, please send an email to Andy Pletcher at andypl...@gmail.com by Sunday, January 9th! Contact Jill Schlaus or Andy Pletcher with additional questions.

Your Retreat Team:

Jill Schlaus, Andy Pletcher & Kelly Castillo

The Pastoral Care Team would love your help!

We are looking for people to help by writing cards of support to members of our community needing some love. Do you have time to write a few cards each month? Chalice will provide the note cards.

Please contact pastor...@chaliceuu.org if you can help. Thank you!

Feeding Hands Opportunity!

Feeding Hands meal preparation can be done in the company of a few others, or brought from home to support our local community.

Since August, Chalice has been providing 50 to-go dinners for Harbor House once a month. About a dozen dedicated volunteers, following Covid guidelines, work together to make it happen. A small team cooks chicken in the Chalice kitchen. Individuals bring in specified side dishes - each to serve 50 people. Another small team packs meals in 50 to-go containers so all meals are the same. Then the cleanup shift begins. The meals are delivered to Harbor House for distribution to people who need food. The team is amazing!

If you are interested in helping as an occasional substitute for a portion of the process, please let us know. We’re glad to provide training and share good times.

Contact: Marcy Wingard - mrwi...@hotmail.com

or Barbara Leighton - belei...@yahoo.com

We Need Your Help with our History!

Next year marks the Fellowship’s 60th year of affiliation with the UUA.

A History Committee is collecting documents, photos, and any sort of media that relates to our past that you may have squirreled away in your garage or closet. We are hoping to sort, identify and store these items at Chalice. We are also hoping to contribute to a 60th anniversary service on January 30, 2022.

If you have any such items, please leave them at the Fellowship when our administrator is there or contact Jo Ann Van Reenan (vanre...@gmail.com.) Thank you!

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Chumash Heritage Sanctuary - Support Letter

On November 9, 2021, NOAA and the Biden Administration formally advanced the proposed Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary into the designation process. This is a monumental step in a more than 40 year effort to preserve sacred Chumash cultural sites, unique coastal waters, and biodiversity hotspots along the Central Coast of California.

The Public Scoping period for the proposed Chumash Heritage National Marine Sanctuary is currently underway until Monday, January 10, 2022.

Please add your name to the support letter which will be submitted to the Federal Register as a part of the official public record:

https://www.chumashheritagesanctuary.org/support-letter

And sign the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/the-national-oceanic-and-atmospheric-administration-noaa-protect-california-s-central-coast

Community Forum Team Meeting

4th Mondays of the month from 5:00-6:00 p.m

Next meeting: December 27th

Do you enjoy our Community Forums?  Ever considered joining the Community Forum Team?  Check out our planning meetings. Be part of sharing Chalice's values with the wider community!

Here's the zoom link for joining the community forum team meetings:

https://zoom.us/j/92215374457?pwd=Zi84N0wvT3N1R01YdjhoUE02OGp5Zz09

Or:

Dial by your location

+1 669 900 6833 US

Meeting ID: 922 1537 4457

Passcode: 306000

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting

meets 2nd Saturday of the month

Next meeting, Saturday, January 8th @ 9 am

Meetings are open to anyone interested in saving our planet!

Here is the sign-on info:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82274752266?pwd=YUR1enR2RXFQLzN1a0xTK0NiYXRqZz09

Or:

Meeting ID: 822 7475 2266

Passcode: 271577

meets the second Wednesday of Each Month

Next meeting Wednesday, January 12th, 5:30 to 7pm

Join us by Zoom, as we consider developing resources for these challenging times.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative

Meets the second Thursday of the month

Next Meeting January 13th from 6pm-7pm

If you are a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person Of Color) Unitarian Universalist, we invite you to join Matt Chapa and Ayanna Gaines of Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for an evening of support and discussion.

Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/95532331455?pwd=TFI3b2MwUG96MmN0c1M5RHZiUXFsZz09

Please note that this meeting is for BIPOC folk only. Allies are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

Thank You for Giving to Chalice!

We are so grateful for all and any gifts to Chalice! Thank you for helping our beautiful Fellowship thrive!

What you might not be aware of is that some of your gifts are subject to fees that reduce the funds that we get. To view this information visit our website by clicking here.

Again, huge gratitude for any and all gifts.

We could not exist without your generosity.

AmazonSmile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases on Amazon to a charity of your choice.

Give to Chalice while you shop!

All you need to do is start your shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can then choose to donate to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley at no extra cost to you. It's an easy way to support this congregation.

Thank you for your support!

Are you looking to Connect more deeply with Chalice activities and friends? Or are you currently actively involved in Chalice? There are ways to share this information using Breeze.

1. Take the Chalice Interest and Skills Survey: A way for newer members to find ways to get involved. How would you like to contribute, work with others, be in community and stay involved at Chalice? Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/a0a810

2. Take the Chalice Involvement in Groups, Committees, Social Justice and more Survey: How you are engaging with Chalice at this time. Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/d9b495

3. Visiting Chalice and wish to receive and share more about yourself? Take this survey: https://bit.ly/ChaliceConnection

Information from these forms will help both Community Life and the Leadership Cultivation Committee help YOU find ways to connect at Chalice. Thanks!

(Form 1 & 2 can also be found on your Profile page in Breeze)

Friday, December 24

11:00am Chalice History Committee

4:00pm Christmas Eve Service (Zoom 2 and in person)

Sunday, December 26

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

12:30pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2))

2:00pm Crossing Paths

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, December 27

2:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Monday (zoom)

5:00pm Community Forum Planning Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Monday (zoom 2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, December 28

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

7:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Tuesday (zoom)

Wednesday, December 29

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, December 30

7:00pm Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom)

Our Community Cares - Pastoral Concerns

It's so important to stay connected during these times.  In News and Notes we will share joys and concerns within our Chalice community. Let us know if you’d like to share something here. Also, if you have special news to share with the congregation in Sunday services please write to ad...@chaliceuu.org or Rev Nica at mini...@chaliceuu.org.

May we hold each other up and support our Chalice community.

Staff Contact Information -

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org