Chalice News & Notes 2.24.23

Chalice Admin

Feb 24, 2023, 5:00:45 PM2/24/23
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Feb 24 - Young Adult Hangout (18-25) - 6-8 pm

Feb 26 - Climate Action Team- 12 - 12:30 pm

Feb 26 - RE mini retreat - (in the Nest) - 12:00 pm

Feb 26- OWL - 1pm Grades  7-9th grade in YRUU room

       Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Feb 27 - Good Trouble National Acknowledgement - 7pm in Social Hall

March 5th - Sharing our Abundance: Chalice 2023-24 Stewardship Drive  with a potluck after service

March 5 - Starts Paganism RSVP:https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

          Crossing Paths will not meet this week- Feb 26th

Young Adult Hangout February 24th

6-8 pm in social hall!

In Person & Online Service - 10 am

Reverend Anne Hines

God of Second Chances

We are in the midst of Lent -- one of the most holy times in the Christian calendar. A period of six weeks, Lent calls us to reflect on our lives and our relationships. And it reminds us that God or Life always allows us the opportunity to forgive ourselves and others, and to begin again in Love.

Join us in person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Underwear Collection Challenge!

Your Generosity is amazing!

We are currently at 132  pairs…

This is the last week of our collection. Let’s Make a Final Push!

Help us to reach 300 pairs - details below!

Crossing Paths for Adults Will Not Meet this Week

March 5th : Paganism!

RSVP: https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

OWL

Sundays - 1:00 pm

Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Please address any communications or questions to: O...@chaliceuu.org

JOIN THE GOOD TROUBLE CELEBRATION!

This Tuesday, February 28th at 7pm in person in Social Hall

 As many of you know, this year UUTHEVOTE surpassed all our goals.  Our fellowship reached out to more potential voters in 2022 than ever before.

We are one of only 16 CONGREGATIONS to meet those high-water marks and the UUA is honoring us in a Good Trouble presentation on Tues., February 28.

The event airs on zoom at 4:00pm

If you would like to watch it live, please let us know and we will send you information about how to register for the zoom link. https://secure.everyaction.com/CCfAgmMSkEaec8PeByN68A2

We will record it and be showing parts of it at 7pm in FELLOWSHIP HALL.

We would like to celebrate with all of you who helped and supported our UUtheVote work. We’ll have refreshments, beverages, and party favors. Come and join the fun. YOU are the ingredient that makes the program rock!  And we couldn't have done it without you. Let us know if you plan to participate.

Pamela Lopez and Jill Lewis

Families Care

Saturday, March 4th

4:00pm assemble kits for the unhoused followed by a potluck

Sign up to donate items for the care kits at

bit.ly/FamiliesCare

March Hangouts:

Please RSVP no later than the day before the hangout you plan to attend:

RSVP here: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

As the first hint of green begins to peek through the barren ground

As that little sprig grows into a healthy stem

As that stem grows into a stalk and forms a bud

As that bud slowly opens with each new day

To form a yellow daffodil

Let us be, like that first hint of green, renewed by the warm of the sun’s rays

And ready to emerge with a new energy, ready to face the day.

We light this chalice to bring a glimmer of that warmth into our space.

~Jennifer McGlothin

This SUNDAY!

March 5th after service

“Sharing our Abundance”

Chalice 2023-24 Stewardship Drive

Potluck after Service

The time has come for us to renew our commitment to each other and to our Chalice home. The kick-off for our annual pledge drive will be a joyful luncheon gathering on Sunday, March 5 on the patio and in Fellowship Hall right after our church service. (approximately 11:30-1:00)

March 5 is also when our calling stewards will be reaching out to you to invite you to renew your commitment to Chalice with an annual pledge to support our budget for the fiscal year which runs from July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024. Please welcome their call.

Saturday, March 11th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

Rising Anti Semitism and How We Address It

with

Dan Meisel, Regional Director

Mark Goldstein, Board Chair

Anti-Defamation League, Santa Barbara/Tri-Counties

Antisemitism in the US has risen by 34% since 2021. As more news agencies are reporting these disturbing incidents, we struggle to find ways to address them. Join us for a discussion of some unique aspects of contemporary antisemitism, factors contributing to their recent resurgence, and how to wield truth in response to antisemitism’s various iterations.

Dan Meisel serves as the Regional Director of the Anti-Defamation League, a leading anti-hate organization that counters antisemitism, extremism, and all forms of bigotry. It’s nearly 110 year-old mission is to “stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all.” Dan was previously a First Amendment and general litigation attorney, and has written and produced the feature film “All She Can.”

Mark Goldstein, Chair of the ADL Santa Barbara/Tri-Counties Regional Board, is an intellectual property attorney at SoCal IP Law Group. Among his many volunteer activities, Mark is active at Temple Etz Chaim in Thousand Oaks, participates in local interfaith activities, and guest lectures at UCSB and CLU.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/RisingAntisemitismandHowWeAddressIt

PSW ASSEMBLY REGISTRATION

Now Open

And Youth Con registration begins tomorrow!

This year’s assembly will be held at the beautiful congregational facility, Unitarian Universalists San Luis Obispo. Join us to share what’s going on in your congregation and to enjoy meaningful keynote topics, an assortmanet of workshops, youth con activities, worship, meals and more! Keynote Speakers will  include Speaker Chairwoman Violet Sage Walker of the Northern Chumash Tribal Council (NCTC) and Mona Olivas Tucker of the Northern Chumash Tribe.

Full Details about the event available here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16HepIuli1PR5i6WCPDNcBpjCdTxJJVD_ni0tvsoNrzk/edit?usp=sharing

Registration Is Open

for the Assembly:

https://www.uucamp.org/camp-calendar/?event_id1=9158

 And will open for Youth Con on

7am, Saturday 2/25/23 (grades 8-12):

https://www.uucamp.org/2023/02/14/2023-pacific-southwest-service-area-assembly

Youth Con is open to youth ages 14-18 who will be involved in their own programming during the weekend. They will have the opportunity to foster relationship building, expand leadership skills, and develop a deeper faith identity.

If you have further questions about the Youth Con please contact our director of religious education, Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org

Starting Point Journey Circle

Begins Sunday, April 16th, 1 - 3 pm

In person @ Chalice

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Sign up for our next Starting Point Journey Circle

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members

We invite you to join our UU journey program called 'Starting Point’.

Starting Point is a three session series, led by Rev. Nica, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

All are welcome to this class by prior registration.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

  • Sunday, April 16  - 1-3 pm - Session 1 will explore our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Sunday, May 21 - 1-3 pm - Session 2 will examine UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Wednesday, May 31 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm- Session 3 will look at our UU Theological journey.

For more information, you can email SPi...@chaliceuu.org

Families with elementary age kids

SAVE THE DATES!  Plan ahead for summer 2023 camps

(registration will open in March):

Elementary camp: July 9-15

Middle School camp: July 16-22

Sr High School camp: July 23-29

Family Camp: July 30-Aug 5th

General Assembly June 21- 25, 2023

Information can be found here:

https://www.uua.org/ga

And registration is available here:

https://www.uua.org/ga/registration

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Join us for the next Chalice Climate Action Team meeting

Sunday, February 26th at 12:00 to 12:30 pm

Short meeting this week because the ADL Walk Against Hate that starts at 1:00 PM. Please join the march! More information here: https://www.walkagainsthate.org/vc

"Respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part, the Chalice Climate Action Team educates ourselves and connects with others to advocate for a just and sustainable future for life on earth."

CCAT Zoom link below: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or by smart phone - One tap mobile+16699009128,,873183426#

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

Save dates for

Climate Action Sign-making and National Day of Action:

March 11 & March 21

“The climate crisis poses a grave threat to every aspect of our economy and our everyday lives, which is why our entire banking system needs to divest from the fossil fuel industry and reinvest resources into a clean, just, renewable economy.” 350.org

WHAT:  The Chalice Climate Action Team (CCAT) is preparing to join a National Day of Action to publicize how banks are making our climate crisis worse.  Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank and Bank of America are major investors in fossil fuels.  We’ll ask people to consider moving their money to other banks or credit unions which do not invest in oil, gas or pipelines.

WHEN: Saturday, March 11, at 11am Sign-making - bring friends, energy, and creativity to Chalice Fellowship Hall.  We’ll have snacks as we plan and make signs with positive messaging for the day of action.

March 21 National Day of Action - people across America will hold signs outside banks to let communities know how bank investments drive future fossil fuels and our climate crisis.

WHY: Money in the bank may be the largest part of a person’s carbon footprint. Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank or Bank of America are the largest U.S. banking investors in fossil fuels.  People who move their funds to more responsible institutions help send the message that we prioritize a livable future.

According to https://thirdact.org/national-day-of-action/, a $62,500 deposit loaned by the bank for pipelines, frack wells, coal, and oil exploration produces more carbon than all the driving, cooking, heating, cooling, and flying an average American will do in 6 months! Please act with us!

For more info contact ghc...@yahoo.com or see also: https://www.bankingonclimatechaos.org/

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm - this month 12-12:30 see above

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Friday, February 24

6:00pm YA Hangout

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, February 25

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, February 26

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am RE: Innovations - Maker’s Space

11:30am RE: YRUU - We Wonder Who the Real Men Are

12:00pm RE Committee - mini retreat (in the Nest)

12:00pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2))

1:00pm OWL 7-9

1:00pm OWL K-2

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, February 27

5:00pm Community Forum Planning Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, February 28

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

6:00pm Worship Committee (Zoom2)

7:00pm Good Congregation Celebration

Wednesday, March 1

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Sitevisioning meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Council Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, March 2

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

4:30pm Stewardship Meeting (zoom2 )

7:00pm Book Club: My Grandmother's Hands (zoom2)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May