Chalice News and Notes 2.3.23

Chalice Admin

Feb 3, 2023, 5:00:57 PM2/3/23
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Feb 4 - Families Care - Social Hall - 4pm donate: https://bit.ly/FamiliesCare

Feb 5 - Crossing Paths, Hinduism - 1pm  RSVP: https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

Feb 5- OWL - 1pm

Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Feb 8 - Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting - 5:30pm

Feb 9 - BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative meeting - 6 pm

Feb 10 - Middle School Hangout - 6 pm  RSVP: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Feb 12 - Bowl Painting Party to benefit Many Mansions - Social Hall - 12:30 pm

        Registration in advance is preferred    https://bit.ly/BowlPaintingParty

Feb 17 - Community Forum - Restorative Justice: Harm to Healing - 7 pm

Register in advance: https://bit.ly/RestorativeJusticeTransformingHarmtoHealing

Families Care  - Tomorrow evening

 Care Kit Assembly followed by Potluck!

Saturday, February 4th 4-6pm

Sign up to donate items: https://bit.ly/FamiliesCare

In Person & Online Service - 10 am

Tim Snowber

Vulnerability, the new Superpower?

Vulnerability is a popular topic lately- and the general takeaway is that weakness can be the key to strength and resilience.  How can that be?  Isn't strength all about being strong- and likewise, weakness is about being weak?   This morning we will explore vulnerability as a spiritual concept- what does it mean?  How can it be a path of strength?  And how do we invite/make space for it to be a powerful force in our lives?

Join us in person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Crossing Paths for Adults

Sundays

1-2:30 pm

in the library/ board room

(at the top of the stairs in Fellowship Hall)

This month Hinduism

Please Note we will not have a meeting on Feb. 26th

RSVP: https://bit.ly/CrossingPathsRSVP

OWL

Sundays - 1:00 pm

Grades 7-9 in YRUU room

Grades K-1 in Innovations room

Please address any communications or questions to: O...@chaliceuu.org

Diapers and Wipes Drive - Final day this Sunday

Sponsored by the Third Monday Chalice Circle

We have learned that many parents in our local community are struggling to meet the rising costs of diapers for their babies. Chalice would like to help the Conejo Community Outreach Center with their ‘diaper drive’ and will be collecting diapers and wipes beginning this Sunday and throughout January.

More specifically, they need:

  • All brands are accepted and appreciated but the diaper bank is especially grateful for donations of Huggies or Pampers diapers.

  • The diaper bank can accept open boxes of diapers, and even open sleeves — just make sure they are labeled with brand and size.

  • Most requested sizes: 5, 6, and 4t/5t pull ups, but any size donation is wonderful!

  • If you’d like to donate wipes, the diaper bank asks for unscented, sealed packs.

The third Monday Afternoon Chalice Circle is also contributing to this collection. Please join them in donating and helping our local parents.

Please Look for the collection box in Fellowship Hall when you come by on Sunday. For more information please contact:

Andy Pletcher    andypl...@gmail.com

Jill Lewis       Jilll...@yahoo.com

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

We light this chalice,

For those who convinced us

that it was safe to share our longings,

For those who proved

that not everyone will run from the weight of the pain we carry,

For those who held us in our fear

and helped us heal from our regret,

For those whose humble apologies

made us believe

that we too could be forgiven,

And for those whose tenderness helped us see

that we no longer need to hide.

Our vulnerability frees us. It binds us.

It makes holy the path we travel together.

May this flame ever help us keep that in view.

~ Reverend Scott Tayler

Middle School Hangout

February 10th - 6-8 pm in Social Hall

RSVP by February 9th: https://bit.ly/ChaliceHangout

Chalice HO - Feb (Instagram Post (Square)) (1).jpg

Starting Next Sunday February 12th

Underwear Collection Challenge!

Help us to reach 300 pairs - details below

And also on February 12th…

Special Collection during service will benefit the Living Legacy Project (Selma Relief & Recovery Fund

After service we’ll be announcing the Chalice Sweetheart!

Come to a Bowl Painting Party to benefit Many Mansions!!!

Sunday, February 12th at 12:30 in Social Hall

(right after our Sweetheart Serenade and Potluck)

Participants will be given a bowl to paint which will later be given away to attendees of the Bowls of Hope Fundraiser.

There’s a $30 per bowl fee to cover the supplies, glazing and firing process.  (Scholarships are available.)

Come, have fun, and help support the children and adult services of Many Mansions at the same time!!

To be sure we have enough bowls, please sign up in advance here:

https://bit.ly/BowlPaintingParty

Enjoy reading and discussing books with fellow UUs?

Join the Monday Night Book Group online @ 7:30 pm

Please join for discussions of the following books :

  • February 13thCirce by Madeline Miller

  • March 13thDinners with Ruth by Nina Totenberg

  • April 10thThe Maid, a mystery by Nita Prose

  • May 8thThe Warmth of Other Suns by by Isabel Wilkerson

  •  June 12thOrdinary Grace by William Kreuger

  • July 10thRiver of the Gods by Candice Millard

  • August 14thThe English Understand Wool by Helen De Witt

  • September 11thBarefoot Lawyer by Chen Guangcheng

  • October 9thBooth, a Novel by Joy Fuller

  • November 13th - Love Songs of W.E.B. DuBois by Honore Jeffers

  • December 11th – selection of titles for 2024

Zoom link : https://zoom.us/j/94954957056?pwd=ZnVVTzBBTVdubjBMYTZVSGp1eDM3dz09

 Questions?  Contact Sheri Hanson sheril...@gmail.com

or Jo  Ann Van Reenan vanre...@gmail.com

Restorative Justice –

Transforming Harm to Healing

Friday, February 17th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

with

Erik Nasarenko, Ventura County District Attorney

Heather Garcia, Victor Juarez, and Sarah Mendez, Interface Children & Family Services

Chris Modica, Ventura County Probation

Transforming Harm to Healing is a Restorative Justice Program aimed at reducing disparities in the juvenile justice system and preventing recidivism. Hear how this process can allow the non-violent offender to learn how their actions caused harm and help offer empowerment and closure to the victim.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/RestorativeJusticeTransformingHarmtoHealing

Our Mission: To nurture spiritually courageous people who transform the world through justice and compassion.

OUR PROGRAM IS FREE BUT DONATIONS ARE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

Chalice Social Media Update

It is with regret that we say goodbye to Oscar Johnson, our social media consultant who has chosen to move on from his work with Chalice. In his absence, if you have any questions with regards to social media, feel free to reach out to socia...@chaliceuu.org or to Ana Johnson, our admin, at ad...@chaliceuu.org. We thank you for your patience as we deal with this transition.

Midyear Meeting Follow Up:

Dear Chalice Members,

If you missed the mid year congregational meeting that was held a few weeks ago, here are some links to recordings so you can see what you missed:

To view the whole meeting click Here

Here is the  link  to the section of the UUA Board meeting on Article II presentation. It’s a 30-minute watch on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/zPQmvlMBUOg

and

Here is a link to the portion of the mid year meeting regarding SiteVisioning:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gbr66RcK6C-2r1E_XgUaV8eWjqW1Bux_

Families with elementary age kids, our district mountain camp invites you to:

“Choose Your Own Adventure”

2023 UU Elementary Family Winter Camp

This camp is for youth grades K through 6 and their families.

Saturday, February 18 – Monday, February 20, 2023

Deans: Shannon and Bill Stoker

Registration is OPEN!

https://www.uucamp.org/camps-retreats/youth-camps/2023-uu-elementary-family-winter-camp/

This camp is designed for kids in elementary school at the time of camp. Campers in grades 2–6 are encouraged to come to Camp and stay on their own in cabins with well-trained and talented counselors. While we welcome younger children to this camp, there is no programming provided for Junior and Senior High young people. These youth are welcome to attend our summer camps that are focused on their age groups.

If your 2–6 grade camper is not feeling quite ready for the counselor-cabin, they have the option of staying with their family in a family-cabin. Younger siblings (grades K-1) are invited along for the fun but must stay with their parent/guardian in a family-cabin. The littlest of siblings (Pre-K and below) are welcome at appropriate activities but must always be accompanied by a parent throughout the day.

Registration fees:

Camper (Kindergarten to 6th Grade):  $185

Accompanying sibling (3 years to Pre-K):  $125

Accompanying sibling (infant to 2 years):   $0

Adult Parent/Guardian:  $185

Questions about registration, contact our registrar, Laura Chamberlin, at regi...@uucamp.org. Questions about EFWC details, programming or camper concerns, contact our Camping Ministries Director, Marianne Swift-Gifford, at c...@uucamp.org.

Our Contact Information

Camp de Benneville Pines

41750 Jenks Lake Road West

Angelus Oaks, CA 92305

(909) 794-2928

http://www.uucamp.org

SAVE THE DATES!  Plan ahead for summer 2023 camps

(registration will open in March):

Elementary camp: July 9-15

Middle School camp: July 16-22

Sr High School camp: July 23-29

Family Camp: July 30-Aug 5th.

Chalice Women’s Retreat 2023

Hope you’ll join us at Camp de Benneville Pines

Friday, March 24 through Sunday, March 26

We are planning a return to the mountains for fellowship.

Our theme this year is Being Enough!

The camp is 2.5 – 4.5 hours away, nestled in the Jeffrey Pines of the San Bernadino Mountains, not far from Big Bear or Redlands. We sleep in heated cabins, with full bathrooms, and meals are included.  We take turns sharing in the meal preparation and most women choose to carpool to and from the retreat. Participation in the program portion is expected, and there is always time for crafts, hiking, and quiet reflection.

The camp is only allowing fully vaccinated campers, and may even require a booster, still to be determined. Social distancing will not really be possible. We will be cooking together and sharing the small common area during our meals and program portion. Please consider whether you will be comfortable in that setting, then click the link  to register and take an important survey. Your responses are important to us. Your input helps us make the best judgment calls as we consider plans for keeping our community safe and engaged. Women's Retreat Survey/Registration

The price is $160, and some scholarships will be available if needed. If you choose to participate, please register at the link above  by Sunday, January  30, the sooner the better.   Contact Jill Schlaus or Andy Pletcher with additional questions.

Your Retreat Team:

Jill Schlaus, Andy Pletcher & Kelly Castillo

Starting Point Journey Circle

Begins Sunday, April 16th, 1 - 3 pm

In person @ Chalice

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Sign up for our next Starting Point Journey Circle

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members

We invite you to join our UU journey program called 'Starting Point’.

Starting Point is a three session series, led by Rev. Nica, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

All are welcome to this class by prior registration.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

Each session is from 1 - 3 pm

  • Sunday, April 16  - 1-3 pm - Session 1 will explore our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Sunday, May 21 - 1-3 pm - Session 2 will examine UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Wednesday, May 31 - 6:30 to 8:30 pm- Session 3 will look at our UU Theological journey.

For more information, you can email SPi...@chaliceuu.org

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Your Guide to the Inflation Reduction Act

Everything you need to know to maximize your savings!

The Inflation Reduction Act is full of incentives to help you and your family go electric. But there’s a lot to explore and understand, from electric appliances you may not even know about yet to the best way to structure your electric journey for maximum savings. Our Go Electric guide provides everything you need to know to start using the electric bank account full of money you now have to electrify your household.

meets the second Wednesday of Each Month

Next meeting Wednesday, February 8, 5:30 to 7pm

Join us by Zoom, as we consider developing resources for these challenging times.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative meeting

Thursday, February 9th - 6:00pm

If you are a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person Of Color) Unitarian Universalist, we invite you to join Matt Chapa and Ayanna Gaines of Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for an evening of support and discussion.

Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/95532331455?pwd=TFI3b2MwUG96MmN0c1M5RHZiUXFsZz09

Please note that this meeting is for BIPOC folk only. Allies are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Saturday, February 4

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

4:00pm Families Care - Assemble care kits for unhoused followed by  Potluck dinner!

Sunday, February 5

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am RE: Innovations - Leap of Faith

11:30am RE: Parent Group

11:30am RE: Reflections - Lisa the Skeptic

11:30am RE: YRUU - Boys Don't Cry

1:00pm OWL K-2

1:00pm OWL 7-9

1:00pm Crossing Paths for Adults - Hinduism

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Tuesday, February 7

5:00pm Community Life Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Chalice Circle Facilitator's Meeting (Zoom)

Wednesday, February 8

5:00pm Finance Committee Meeting (ZoomD)

5:30pm Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting

6:00pm Sitevisioning meeting (zoom2)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, February 9

6:00pm BIPOC UU Tri-County collaborative meeting

Friday, February 10

6:00pm Middle School Hangout

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May