Chalice News and Notes 5.24.24

Chalice Admin

May 24, 2024, 5:00:41 PMMay 24
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org, Constanza Julia

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Upcoming Events

May 26 - Climate Action Team Meeting - 12:30 pm Hybrid

https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

May 28 - Annual Budget Review - 6pm Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/91343828361?pwd=VGxNNzNKS1Y5TE1YeGxmT3U3U2V3dz09

May 30 - Living Dharma Meditation & Discussion - 7:30 in Fellowship Hall for information email at freder...@protonmail.com

June 9 - Annual Congregational Meeting - 11:30 Sanctuary/ online

June 15 - Chalice Cabaret - 7pm Sanctuary

Tickets are available using this link:
Chalice Cabaret Tickets

June 16 - Final Service in the Sanctuary - 10 am

June 23 & 30 - Services to be held online only

June 23 - Family Celebration Picnic - 12-3pm Peppertree Park

SUNDAY SERVICE

Onsite and Online ~  10 am

Reverend Kikanza Nuri-Robins & Ayanna Gaines

Is It Binary, Or Not?

Life is complicated, and sometimes confusing. When we try to oversimplify things, we lose the nuances and subtleties that often make the biggest differences. In the Western World, we are taught to think rationally, logically and in a binary fashion. Often, however, the answer to the question, is it this or is it that, is yes. Come and reflect on the value of resting in ambiguity. What might we learn from the Paradoxes of the East?

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

We are grateful for all you give!

This past Sunday we raised over $900 for Unity Conejo and the Camarillo June Pride event. Thank you for participating as we live our values out in the community!

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

In betwixt and in between

We move in the liminal spaces

that show shades of

what can become

what can be

We light this chalice

as a symbol of courage

to move into that time of

this and that

and not this

and not that

With patience and faith

and love

and hope

that this time will pass

Like the sun that moves

in between

rising

and setting

Reminding us that

beauty resounds

In betwixt

and

In between

~Reverend Summer Albayati

Annual Budget Review

Conversation & Questions

May 28th

6pm on Zoom

Join us here for a conversation about our 2024-2025 Annual Budget and get your questions answered!

https://zoom.us/j/91343828361?pwd=VGxNNzNKS1Y5TE1YeGxmT3U3U2V3dz09

Living Dharma Connection

Thursday, May 30th

7:30 to 9:00 pm

In Fellowship Hall

This informal Buddhist meditation and Dharma discussion group is open to everyone, but oriented to people with some familiarity with Buddhism. To join and receive monthly meeting details/readings, please contact Frédérik Sisa by email at freder...@protonmail.com.

For news about our move, visit the Site Vision page on our website: https://www.chaliceuu.org/our-site-vision/

Our Annual Congregational Meeting will be held June 9th after service from 11:30 in the Sanctuary (and on Zoom if you cannot be present onsite). We invite everyone to stay and participate. We'll review and vote on the budget, as well as take a straw vote, which will impact how our delegates vote on Article II during General Assembly. Your voice will always matter to us, and we encourage all members to come practice the "The Right of Conscience and the Use of the Democratic Process Within Our Congregations and in Society at Large”

Save the date in your calendar now!

Cabaret Tickets Now Available

Purchase in advance for $5 off!

We’re putting “fun” into Fundraising…

 An event you won’t want to miss!

Saturday June 15th @ 7:00pm

In the Sanctuary

Chalice’s Cabaret Fundraiser is a spectacular evening of entertainment that showcases our community’s many talents, with some special surprises in store. Musicians, magicians, dancers, poets and more will be sharing their talents. During the intermission, be sure to enjoy fellowship, hors d’oeuvres and beverages.

Tickets available for purchase in advance for $25 (youth for $15). Tickets at the door are $30.

There are a limited number of seats so don’t wait!

Tickets are available using this link:
Chalice Cabaret Tickets

All proceeds go to sustaining Chalice UU Fellowship.

No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

Family Celebration Picnic

Sunday, June 23rd, 12pm - 3pm

Peppertree Park, 3720 Old Conejo Rd

Community Life wants to expand!

Our community has many fun activities coming up and we would love your ideas and sparkle. Our Community Life team is an easy and fun way to connect and to add your own special touch to the life of our beloved community.  Inquire at commun...@chaliceuu.org. We look forward to hearing from you!

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month once a quarter - Next meeting June 13th  6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month @ 12:30

Community Forum Team meeting: 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting

 Meets 4th Sunday of the Month

next meeting Sunday, May 26th at 12:30 p.m.

Displaying Climate Action Team.jpg

Join us for a discussion on action items to help tackle the climate crisis.

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or by smart phone - One tap mobile+16699009128,,873183426#

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

CCAT: Respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part, the Chalice Climate Action Team educates ourselves and connects with others to advocate for a just and sustainable future for life on Earth.

Cards, cards and more cards...  This month we're sending cards to Black registered voters in North Carolina, come pick up a batch, or return your completed cards for stamping.   We are taking orders and can get them to you, or give them to you at service on Sunday.  They are prepared in bundles of 30 and ready to go.

They are due back by June 28, but can be returned to Jill or Pamela anytime before.

Also, if you want to try your hand at texting,  there is a great opportunity to text voters in Wisconsin on 5/29 from 4-5PM.  It's as easy as can be.  If you participate in texting, please keep track of your numbers so we can count them towards our UU the Vote numbers.  Here is the link to sign up for texting:  https://mobilize.us/s/tcl8a7

As always, we plan to be upstairs in the boardroom for a brief update after service on Sunday.

We have the best team and are so grateful for you.

Jill and Pamela

Want to support Senior Concerns’ Meals on Wheels program

but don’t want to run?  No problem!

Join the Chalice Team for the Love Run to benefit Senior Concerns’ Meals on Wheels program!  You don’t even have to run!!!*

You can register for the Chalice “doggie dash” VIRTUAL* run here:

https://runsignup.com/Race/Register/RaceGroup-1?raceId=14443

Just select “Doggie Dash - Virtual” and “join or create a Team.”

On the next page select “Chalice” under “Select Team!”

*That’s right - we WON’T be running (except in spirit)!!!

Learn more about Senior Concerns at https://www.seniorconcerns.org

Chalice Tabling at Camarillo Pride

Sunday June 2nd from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Chalice is co-hosting a table at the Camarillo Pride Event with the Ventura UU church. Participants are needed, if you are available to help at the table any time between noon and 4pm on June 2nd. Please reach out to Annie Barker to support this wonderful event.

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Friday, May 24

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, May 25

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

Sunday, May 26

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (In person & Zoom 2)

12:30pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, May 27

5:30pm Community Life Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, May 28

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

6:00pm 2024-25 Budget Conversation (Zoom2)

7:00pm 4th Tuesday Chalice Circle

7:00pm Worship Committee (ZoomN)

Wednesday, May 29

5:30pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Search SVT Leaders

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, May 30

7:30pm Living Dharma Connection - Meditation & Discussion (onsite only)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org