Chalice News and Notes 4.22.22

1 view

Chalice Admin

Apr 22, 2022, 5:01:41 PM4/22/22
to announ...@chaliceuu.org, mem...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Next Service - 10 am - In person or online

Shane Niebergall

How to Thank the Earth

Let's celebrate Earth Day by giving back to our earth, who gives so much to us. Learn about why taking care of our planet is so important, and leave with practical ideas on how you can give back to our home spaceship.

Join Zoom Meeting at 10:00 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Family Chapel

Sunday mornings 9-9:30am

Check In opportunities with your friends in RE!

Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81860584057?pwd=SkppaGd1TlhraEh0b3BSemdrUGtidz09

Have ideas about what you want to see in RE?

Email your DRE Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

Crossing Paths

This Sunday, April 24, 2-3pm.

In Fellowship Hall (masks will be worn inside)

Questions? Contact your Director of Religious Education, Sam Dickerson, at d...@chaliceuu.org

Our annual AUCTION is 2 weeks away…

And we need your feedback

Registration for the 2022 Auction/60th Birthday Celebration is slow, so the Auction committee is considering next steps. We understand there are many factors that you take into consideration when you are choosing to attend these events and we need your feedback quickly. We must make a decision regarding our booked venue no later than this Monday morning so if you could give us feedback, it will help us make our decisions regarding this year’s auction. Please take this brief (30 second) survey to let us know your intentions regarding the auction:

https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/9c27c3

Also, The online auction begins this weekend. Keep your eyes peeled for a link sent out via email and on social media!

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting

April 24th - 12:30 pm

Join us for a discussion on action items to help tackle the climate crisis.

Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Or by smart phone - One tap mobile+16699009128,,873183426#

Or dial in: +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

CCAT: Respecting the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part, the Chalice Climate Action Team educates ourselves and connects with others to advocate for a just and sustainable future for life on Earth.

Starting Point Journey Circle

Starting Sunday, May 1st!

Let us know now if you’re interested!

Do you want to explore Unitarian Universalism and your Spiritual Path more deeply?

Curious about the Starting Point Journey Circle?

For newcomers to Chalice and existing members ~

Starting Point is a three session group, designed to deepen your spiritual understanding of Unitarian Universalism and to connect newcomers with members, creating a web of interconnection at Chalice. Additionally, newer people will experience Chalice’s small group culture, thereby deepening your spiritual engagement with our community.

A commitment to all three sessions is requested. All sessions from 1- 3 pm at Chalice

  • May 1st: Session 1 explores our personal spiritual journeys.

  • May 15th: Session 2 examines UU and Chalice’s history.

  • June 5th: Session 3 looks at our UU Theological journey.

If you have any questions or would be interested in Starting Point, please contact us at SPi...@chaliceuu.org

What a Joy to see you all on Easter Sunday!

Above are images from our Sanctuary, taken during the story for all ages. (Thanks to Tim Snowber who took the photos and sent them in). We so enjoyed everyone’s company and are looking forward to seeing you week after week. This week we celebrate Earth Day, and in May,  be looking for a special music themed Mother’s Day service, a Coming of Age service, and so much more!

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

In igniting this chalice,

we cast upon it our hopes and intentions

for all that is positive

in our minds, and in our hearts.

May this precious light shine on.

~ Vanessa Williams

May the light of our chalice illuminate each new day as an opportunity to awaken.

UU the Vote is up and waiting for you!

We are proud to say that so far our UUtheVote group of postcard writers are finishing up their first two thousand postcards to voters and are about to start on their third thousand.  Pamela is unable to continue her participation in this important UU program and Jill will need help to continue her leadership and support of the UUtheVote project.  If we can have one (preferably two, maybe even three) volunteers step up and help with distribution and coordination, that would be AMAZING.  Let's keep UUtheVote moving forward so we can continue to be part of the change we want to see.

Chalice Women’s Retreat is Back! NEW PLAN!

Hope you’ll join us for a day-long gathering in Camarillo!

Saturday, May 21, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

In lieu of our weekend in the mountains this year, the women of Chalice are invited to gather for a local retreat.  We will reconnect and build new relationships while exploring May’s theme of Nurturing Beauty. Join us at Ellen Smith’s beautiful home for discussion, crafts, quiet reflection, and lunch.

Weather permitting, much of the day will be spent outdoors on the patios and in the gardens. We do request participants are fully vaccinated, if medically able. Masks will be requested during any indoor portion of the day.  The cost to participate is $25, which includes the meal, snacks, beverages, and supplies. Scholarships are available.

Space is limited. Please contact Andy Pletcher as soon as possible, but no later than April 30, to confirm your interest and hold your place. Her email address is andypl...@gmail.com

Contact Jill Schlaus or Andy Pletcher with additional questions. We hope to see you there.

Your Retreat Team:

Jill Schlaus, Andy Pletcher & Kelly Castillo

Still Accepting Donations for Refugee Families

Through April

The 4th Monday afternoon Chalice Circle has chosen, as their service project, to support the Conejo Interfaith Refugee Team (CIRT). This involves collecting donations for refugees who are resettling in our area. You can give as little or as much as you want that fit into specific parameters. Baskets will be assembled from donated items so do not feel that you need to donate a lot. The request is that everything be new and please do not include items not requested in the lists (see below). We will collect items for the month of April with a very special collection on Easter Sunday. In addition, if you would like to make a donation out to “cash”, that can be used to purchase needed items for you. Cash donations can  also be made to the following PayPal account with a notation that it is a donation for the Women's Interfaith Refugee Collection: mrwi...@hotmail.com

Here are the specific items requested:

To learn more about Conejo Interfaith Refugee Team, visit:

https://www.justserve.org/projects/8c5f9dd9-af4d-474f-b2d5-5108831593a3

If you have more questions or would like to coordinate a drop off, you may reach out to Marcy Wingard at: mrwi...@hotmail.com  or Candy Gantka at cga...@gmail.com

American Red Cross Blood Drive

Thursday April 28, 2022 1pm - 7pm

Westlake Village Building, 32165 Watergate Rd Westlake Village

The American Red Cross tells us that there is an urgent need for blood, so we are hosting a Blood Drive and need YOUR support!  If you are able and would like to participate, please sign up using the link below.  We encourage you to invite your friends and neighbors who might like to give to sign up too.    Registration in advance is required in order to limit the number of people in the building at any given time.  Appropriate safety protocols will be in place for the event.

Sign Up Below:  https://www.redcrossblood.org/give.html/drive-results?zipSponsor=wlvstake

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Steve Simmons

The Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder-Day Saints

805 405-2378 (c)

st...@thecallteam.com

 Men’s Discussion Group And

Women’s Moonflower Group

The next meeting will be Thursday, April 28th on Zoom at 7:00 PM

These groups are open to anyone

For more information about the women’s group

contact anniez...@gmail.com

Or participate in the women’s group using this zoom link on April 28th at 7:00 pm

https://zoom.us/j/453726961?pwd=aDVOVkRXL0RjVVhsaW1pcytoMmhodz09

Meeting ID: 453 726 961

Password: 802513

One tap mobile

+16699009128,,453726961# US (San Jose)

And For more information about the men’s group

contact davida...@gmail.com

Or participate in the men’s group using this zoom link on April 28th at 7:00 pm:

https://zoom.us/j/99228666134?pwd=bE8yNnpnV0k0YnI5b3hnVEcxRnJPQT09

Meeting ID: 992 2866 6134

Password: 002863

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,99228666134#,,1#,002863# US (San Jose)

General Assembly Registration now open - Join Rev Nica

 June 22-26th 2022

online or in-person in Portland, Oregon

with Ibrahim X. Kendi as Ware Speaker scheduled to lecture on

June 25th @ 4pm pacific

General Assembly 2022 will be a multiplatform event, with registration options for in-person and/or virtual participation. In-person registration includes access to events scheduled to take place in Portland, Oregon, as well as everything available to virtual registrants. Full virtual registration includes access to the GA app, as well as all on-demand programming, live webinars, and live-streamed events. Please let Rev. Nica know if you choose to participate.

Register now. Prices go up May 1st

https://www.uua.org/ga/registration

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Community Environmental Council’s

2022 Santa Barbara Earth Day Celebration

Saturday, April 23 at the historic Arlington Theater

10 a.m. - 5 p.m. is a FREE event

7:30 p.m. is a ticketed concert

The Arlington Theater, 1317 State St., Santa Barbara, CA

Programming on the Arlington Stage from 10am to 5pm, display tables with climate-focused action in front of the theater (outdoors) and Green Car Show in the parking lot behind the theater.

Photo ID and vaccine card required to enter the theater. Rapid test results also accepted (rapid tests available at entrance).

Bring your reusable bottle! We will have water stations at the event.

More info here: https://sbearthday.org/

Building Beloved Community Advocates

 group invites you to a monthly

Our Monthly First Fridays Movie Discussion

On May 6th

We’ll Discuss Black Panther

Watch the movie in advance on your own

OR

Watch in person at 3:00 p.m. in Fellowship Hall, hosted by BBCA!

Then join us virtually at 7:00 p.m. for conversation here:

https://zoom.us/j/94593796809?pwd=MGxldU1CM2VkUVhqVHJiM1VNUW9tZz09

And on June 3rd, we’ll be watching Real Women Have Curves

These movie discussion nights are meant to bring us together to explore these themes as a faith community.  If you missed the Midyear meeting during which BBCA introduce ourselves, please watch our 7 minute video here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13iI1WunXhEijAA238ZJRQ-sSmT8kMxas/view?usp=sharing

And please let us know for which activities you'd like to receive special notice by completing our 3 minute survey here:

BBCA survey link: https://bit.ly/BBCAinterestsurvey

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month - 5 pm - Note: the April 25th meeting has been postponed and the Community Forum team will be meeting on May 9th instead

Friday, April 22

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Sunday, April 24

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

12:30pm Climate Action Team (Zoom2))

2:00pm Crossing Paths

3:30pm Coming of Age

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, April 25

2:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Monday (zoom)

7:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Monday (zoom 2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

Tuesday, April 26

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

7:00pm Chalice Circle: 4th Tuesday (zoom)

6:00 pm Worship Committee (ZoomN)

Wednesday, April 27

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, April 28

6:30pm Stewardship Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org