Chalice News and Notes March 19, 2021

1 view

Chalice Admin

Mar 19, 2021, 6:56:51 PM3/19/21
to mem...@cvuuf.org, announ...@cvuuf.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through Justice and Compassion.

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Please bring a candle, a sprig of green, a morsel of food, and a sip to drink.

Come Celebrate with us as we bring ourselves out of  winters’ constraints, absorb the healing fertile light of the new season, and take it in for our own growth and revitalization. On this night we nourish the child within each of us, with song, dance, and the powers of the four directions. We'll plant the seeds of our desires in our own fertile soil, and know that with our loving care, they will sprout, grow, and bear good fruit for all to enjoy.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87031825228?pwd=TkxBdG9Ibnlacmo4RjVkaFNROUJaZz09

One tap mobile

+16699009128

Meeting ID: 870 3182 5228

Passcode: 201572

Last Chance to Register TODAY Friday, March 19!

We still have space for sleepover volunteers!

Contact Sam ASAP to join the fun!

Are you missing our Chalice home?

Looking for a way to connect with Chalice friends and family?

Then we have the remedy for you!

It's a Stuffy Sleepover at Chalice!!

Here's how it works:

On March 20, between 11am and 1pm, drive up to Chalice and deliver your stuffy into the care of our capable sleepover staff. You will be given Zoom information and a special goodie bag so that you may participate from the comfort of your home. Log in to any sleepover activities that call to you! A special stuffy staff will watch over all stuffies while sleeping in our Chalice Sanctuary. The following morning, log back in to Zoom and join your stuffy for a special Family Chapel. Stuffies will then be readied for pick up by their families between noon and 2pm. Not to worry, a special registration process will make sure all stuffies are returned to their proper families!

We recommend you do not share your most precious stuffy or stuffy you sleep with. We would be saddened to cause any trauma or a sleepless night because someone is missing their special friend. Only one stuffy per person please!

To ensure we have enough supplies and space for all, please sign up by going to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090C4FA8AF22A7FB6-stuffy. Enter only one person and their stuffy per line. When signing up, please write the name of the stuffy in the comment section.

If you have any questions, please contact the Sleepover Director, Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

We look forward to spending an amazing weekend with you and your stuffy!

Next Service Sunday, Mar. 21, 2021 - 10 AM

Put it in Writing

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn

Sunday Service at 10 AM

Today’s service is inspired by the writing on the walls of our sanctuary. It’s been a whole year since we’ve seen those words in person, but the words are still there, holding our space. What does it mean that we’ve put those words in writing? Does writing down our intentions, values and mission deepen our commitment to them? Join us in exploring the power of the written word.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Family Chapel

Sundays 9-9:30am

Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81860584057?pwd=SkppaGd1TlhraEh0b3BSemdrUGtidz09

Please share this information with your children and youth!

Send any questions to d...@chaliceuu.org.

We have programs for our middle schoolers and elementary kids. For now, we have put a pause on meetups for YRUU.

Coming in April...

Crossing Paths: Paganism

Open to all in Middle School and High School, learn about who Pagans are and what they bring to our wonderful collage of religions. We will engage in conversations, watch videos, and enjoy some fun activities.

Sessions are held Sundays at 1pm and last approximately one hour. Contact Sam to receive the Zoom link.

Questions? Contact your DRE Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org

Join us for:

Witnessing Whiteness:

The Need to Talk About Race and How to Do It

with

Shelly Tochluk, Ph.D.

Thursdays, April 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd - 7:00-8:30 p.m.

You can find more information on our website.

Please register in advance here:

http://bit.ly/WitnessingWhitenessWorkshopSeriesChaliceUU

Young Adults @ Chalice

18 - 30 Somethings

The Young Adult  group hosted a virtual trash pick-up day for everyone last Saturday. Check out these photos from leaders Danielle and Weston Dubois. If you participated please send your photos to ad...@chaliceuu.org

If you have any questions or would like more information about the Young Adult Group please reach out to Danielle Dubois at mrs.dan...@gmail.com  or Aitana Sierra-Valdes at aitanasie...@gmail.com

If you haven’t done so already please take our survey so we can get to know what you are interested in and what will be best for the group as a whole. https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/886281

Sunday is the last day, please make sure to get your pledges in!

Chalice kicked off our annual pledge campaign on Sunday, March 7th and will go until Sunday, March 21st.  Pledges represent about 90% of our income, so we depend on the generosity of our members to continue our vital work.  This year 34 of our congregants have volunteered to serve as visiting stewards.  They have been calling each member to find out how you are doing, discuss the Fellowship and ask for a pledge.  Through person-to-person contact we build community as we collect pledges. Please welcome the call from your visiting steward and respond with a generous pledge. Thank you! Together we can make a bigger difference!

To make your pledge for 2021-22, please go directly to this link: https://www.chaliceuu.org/giving/pledge-online/

THANK YOU FOR GIVING TO CHALICE

Here’s how to make your gifts go farthest...

We are so grateful for all and any gifts to Chalice! Thank you for helping our beautiful Fellowship thrive!

What you might not be aware of is that some of your gifts are subject to fees that reduce the funds that we get.  Here are the ways that we get donations, and the associated fees, in ascending order of fees.

  1. Cash: No fees. But we don’t generally know who it comes from, so you won’t get credit at tax time.

  2. Checks to Chalice: No fees.  Be sure to indicate on the memo line if they are for pledge fulfillment or a gift.  A popular means of paying by check is to use online bill pay from your bank, which can be set up as a recurring payment.  Chalice is not one of the bank’s regular payees (like a utility), but if you use “Chalice” as the name and our office address (3331 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320-2115) it will work fine.

  3. Automated withdrawal from a checking account (also called ACH).  No fees.

Please contact Stewardship Chairperson Don Cooper can set this up for you. It’s a great way to give. Email: don...@roadrunner.com

  1. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using ACH (your bank account):  Fee of 1% plus $0.25 per transaction.  You give Breeze your bank account number and the bank routing number to set this up.

  2. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using a Credit CardFee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.  This the easiest giving method, but it comes at a cost.

  3. PayPal through the Chalice Website:  Fee of 2.2% plus $0.30 per transaction.  You access this through the Chalice home page using the “giving” pull-down menu, then “donate.”

If you wish to give via text or online, you may choose to add an additional amount to cover the fees to Chalice - so that Chalice receives the full amount you intended. Thank you!

Again, huge gratitude for any and all gifts.

We could not exist without your generosity.

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

By Rev. Suzelle Lynch

Each time we light the chalice

we renew our commitment to our Unitarian Universalist faith.

With the spark of a match, we make it new again –

as fresh and surprising as the first day

we encountered this spiritual community

and realized we were home.

Dear Chalice Members and Friends,

The Board and I met Tuesday night to assess our plans regarding reopening Chalice. We promised you an update every quarter. After a year of not being together, we know how eager many of us are to see one another and be together. But we also want to be able to do so safely and mindfully, taking in consideration all the latest information. In light of the current improvement in COVID-19 numbers, the vaccine becoming more widely available and our county going into the red tier, we are starting to put together plans regarding reopening our buildings for in-person gatherings sometime later this year. The UUA still recommends definitive closure and online gathering through at least May 2021. The UUA recommendations, together with several sample policies, can be found at this link: https://www.uua.org/safe/pandemics/gathering-guidance

Our Board is continuously monitoring the situation both locally and nationally and is appointing a "Reopening Task Force" to look at all the circumstances and do research on timing, safety and protocols for us. We wish to reopen our Sanctuary safely for all who wish to be there.

We are also undertaking a Sanctuary technology update in order to be able to conduct worship effectively for people in person, as well as by Zoom. This requires a completely new approach and different technology than we had before, and may take some time to get functional. So thank you for your patience.

Meanwhile, we continue to offer vibrant and sustaining online worship services and groups for adults and youth to meet your spiritual, emotional and justice needs. Please join us at some of our activities, so you may nurture your spirit, heart and mind and stay connected to your Chalice friends. You can find out more about what activities are available on our website at this link: Chalice Activities.

Please also join us for our special Easter Service on Sunday, April 4, with an Easter Drive-Through celebration at Chalice after the service and a Chalk Art Festival the day before. See your News & Notes for more details.

Meanwhile, should you have pastoral care needs or are financially stressed, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or our Pastoral Care Team (pastor...@chaliceuu.org). We are here for you.

Wishing you hope, love and good health,

Reverend Nica

Minister, Chalice UU Fellowship

and the Chalice Board of Trustees

Rev. Nica’s Schedule

Rev. Nica will be away on study leave and vacation starting Monday, March 22nd and she will be back on Tuesday, March 30th. Thank you for granting her this time of rest, renewal and study. If you have any questions meanwhile, you may contact our Board President Jason Hall at pres...@chaliceuu.org  or our Chalice Administrator Chavonne Estrella at ad...@chaliceuu.org.

Community Connection

A time for Fellowship and Spiritual Grounding

Every Thursday at 5pm join members of our Chalice community by Zoom to connect, check-in and explore a creative and spiritually grounding activity.

There will be opportunities to journal together, create art, delve into poetry, meditate or engage in other creative opportunities. Each week will reveal a surprise offering in community with other beloved Chalice folk. Newcomers are welcome every week. We look forward to you joining us for our weekly check-ins and adventures.

For more information email ad...@chaliceuu.org

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/401646659?pwd=VGhkVXc2MkxIbWQxSE81Wkw5QVZVZz09

Meeting ID: 401 646 659

Password: 2020

Contemplative Service - Embracing the Night

Friday, April 2 - 8 pm

Join us for our contemplative service honoring Good Friday. This is an opportunity to embrace the long dark night together, before the dawn of Easter. There will be meditation, candles, poetry, singing and beautiful music. Join us for a sacred evening, going within.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/95294737863?pwd=b25NeFJxVWppMlpKSCtwcGxoVE9IQT09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 952 9473 7863

Passcode: 190406

Who’s ready to get artsy? Saturday, April 3rd we will be holding Chalk Art Fest! Open to all ages, individuals and families will be given their own spot in the parking lot around Chalice to get creative. In honor of the Flower Communion, the theme for this event is “Chalice in blUUm”. Whether you make amazing stick figures or can recreate a Van Gogh, we want to see your art! This will be a wonderful treat for all who attend the Easter drive thru the following day. All participants will be asked to stay masked and space out appropriately. Registration is required for this event. The link to register will be out this week. If you would like to volunteer for this event, please email Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org.

Easter Drive Through, April 4th - Celebrating Easter and our Annual Flower Communion - with a twist - while Honoring Fieldworkers.

In becoming a more connected congregation with the many people who are essential to our lives, Chalice will be honoring Farmworkers on Easter Sunday.

There will be a special collection during Easter Sunday Worship Service, followed by the Drive-thru Sanctuary greeting with Rev. Nica (from a distance) and the celebration of our traditional flower communion (in a Covid safe way), as well as an Easter surprise for kids. All are invited to participate.

If you are able, please bring a donation for local Fieldworkers and their families who often struggle to gather necessities. You may also send a card of greeting, thankfulness, and/or blessings. All donations should be new products, sending a positive message.

Friends of Fieldworkers, the organization we are coordinating with, offers to translate your cards if needed, and recommends these items to donate:

  • laundry items: coins, soap, bleach, fabric conditioner

  • socks, towels, dish clothes, blankets

  • baggies of all sizes, food, grocery, or trash

  • sealed medicine: aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Children’s Aspirin and Children’s Advil

  • toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, plates, fem. pads

  • lightweight dishes, such as Corelle, silverware

  • bathroom items: toothbrushes, paste, soaps, shampoos

  • cleaning items: Lysol, disinfectant, Windex, sponges,

  • miscellaneous: body lotion, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, Band-Aids, heating pads.

  • scissors, pencils, pens, drawing paper, colored pens & pencils or art, school supplies.

If you need help transporting items to donate, or can help transport, please contact belei...@yahoo.com before Sunday April 4.

We hope to see you all on Easter Sunday.

Chalice's Easter Drive-Thru Instructions

Sunday, April 4th from 12 - 1pm

Please Keep Your Mask On The Entire Time

1. Enter the 2nd drive-way closest to Wendy Dr.

2. Drive towards the back of the parking lot and turn left heading towards the Chalice Sanctuary.

3. Turn left again when you see Chalice and drive past our normal entrance and take the 2nd right.

4. Make another quick right and drive down and you will see the Chalice Sanctuary.

See map above for visual representation

Once at the front, please remain in your vehicle with the window down to receive gifts. Let us know if you have donations for the Fieldworkers and we can help unload them.

We look forward to seeing all of you in person very soon.

Great News!

The fabulous Chalice Auction is scheduled for Saturday May 22, 2021 from 6:30 to 8 pm! Save the Date!

Taking Social Action Online

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter and other concerns, click  on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Community Forum Planning Meetings (Next meeting is Monday, Mar. 22)

Do you enjoy our Community Forums?  Ever considered joining the Community Forum Team?  Check out our planning meetings now being held regularly on 4th Mondays of the month from 5:30-7:00 p.m.  Our next meeting will be April 26th.  Be part of sharing Chalice's values with the wider community!

For more information, contact: fo...@chaliceuu.org

Special Project for Friends of Fieldworkers

Brainstorming Meeting Monday, 3/22, 7-8pm via Zoom

Friends of Fieldworkers is a generous organization that helps support 25-30 migrant families in our area. They currently have a family, referred to them by MICOP, that could really use some extra support right now.

The mother died recently from COVID leaving behind 6 children - ages 21, 19, 12, 9, 6 and a 1-year-old baby! She was caring for some of her children who had gotten sick, and then caught the virus herself. The father is not working because of a back injury. The oldest daughter, Jennifer, is a junior at CSUCI, and is working toward an eventual MA in Social Work. She seems like an amazing young woman with big dreams.

Friends of Fieldworkers has been able to address some of the family's immediate needs, but recognizes that there will be much more support needed over the coming year. They've asked whether Chalice would be able to contribute. A group of Chalice members will be meeting Monday, 3/22 at 7pm, to brainstorm ideas for lifting up this family. You are invited to join us.

There is a need for new clothing and shoes as most of the young ones have outgrown what they have. In addition, the family may benefit from monthly check-ins, gift cards for groceries, perhaps even visits to help with homework, if needed.

If you would like to contribute in some way, or attend the brainstorming session, please contact Jill Schlaus at jills...@gmail.com,  or 805-504-5802

Many thanks,

Jill

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/95256984295?pwd=UTBZaTFrcVVLd2JOODlLUnV2R1BEUT09

One tap mobile 16699006833

Meeting ID: 952 5698 4295

Passcode: 495877

Chalice Climate Action Team - (Next Zoom meeting  - 4th Sunday at 12:30pm, March 28, 2021 CAT@ChaliceUU.org

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/873183426?pwd=K3FiL1VrYVJDM25zdjdTdHZXb0E4QT09

Meeting ID: 873 183 426

Password: 715302

The Citizens Climate Lobby meetings are open to anyone interested in saving our planet! The meetings will continue on the 2nd Saturday of the month indefinitely. Next meeting - Saturday, April 10 @ 9 am.

Here is the sign-on info:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82274752266?pwd=YUR1enR2RXFQLzN1a0xTK0NiYXRqZz09

Or:

Meeting ID: 822 7475 2266

Passcode: 271577

Next Racial & Cultural Justice Team meeting on Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 at 5:30 pm

The Racial and Cultural Justice Team meets monthly to reflect on issues and develop action plans for education/service, advocacy/coalition and witness/protest. For more information contact Randall Edwards rcjco...@chaliceuu.org.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

AmazonSmile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases on Amazon to a charity of your choice.

Give to Chalice while you shop!

All you need to do is start your shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can then choose to donate to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley at no extra cost to you. It's an easy way to support this congregation.

Thank you for your support!

Are you looking to Connect more deeply with Chalice activities and friends? Or are you currently actively involved in Chalice? There are ways to share this information using Breeze.

1. Take the Chalice Interest and Skills Survey: A way for newer members to find ways to get involved. How would you like to contribute, work with others, be in community and stay involved at Chalice? Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/a0a810

2. Take the Chalice Involvement in Groups, Committees, Social Justice and more Survey: How you are engaging with Chalice at this time. Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/d9b495

3. Visiting Chalice and wish to receive and share more about yourself? Take this survey: https://bit.ly/ChaliceConnection

Information from these forms will help both Community Life and the Leadership Cultivation Committee help YOU find ways to connect at Chalice. Thanks!

(Form 1 & 2 can also be found on your Profile page in Breeze)

Have you ever wanted to take voice lessons, learn to play the piano or study music theory? Has the pandemic left you with extra time on your hands and a desire to learn something new? If so, consider contacting Chalice’s Music Director, Anthony Concepcion. Anthony is currently offering zoom lessons at a discounted rate of 20% off for Chalice members and friends. Email him at musicd...@chaliceuu.org to ask any questions and schedule a trial lesson.  Peace, love and music!

Weekly Calendar of Events

Saturday, March 20

2:00pm Chalice Stuffy Sleepover (zoom2)

7:00pm Spring Equinox (zoom)

Sunday, March 21

9:00am Family Chapel - PreK – 2nd / Lower Elementary (Zoom B)

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

1:00pm Chalice Circle 3rd Sunday (zoom)

1:00pm Starting Point Program (zoom2)

1:00pm Crossing Paths (Zoom B)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, March 22

5:30pm Community Forum Planning Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Women's Evening Group (zoom)

7:00pm Brainstorm for Special Friends of the Fieldworkers (zoom2)

Tuesday, March 23

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

4:00pm Community Life Meeting (Zoom 2)

6:30pm Choir Tuesdays (Zoom B)

Wednesday, March 24

5:00pm Stewardship Meeting (zoomD.Cooper)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Choir Rehearsal (Zoom)

7:15pm Opal Covenant Group

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

8:00pm Website meeting

Thursday, March 25

5:00pm Community Connection

7:00pm Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom)

Friday, March 26

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Our Community Cares - Pastoral Concerns

It's so important to stay connected during these times.  In News and Notes we will share joys and concerns within our Chalice community. Let us know if you’d like to share something here. Also, if you have special news to share with the congregation in Sunday services please write to ad...@chaliceuu.org or Rev Nica at mini...@chaliceuu.org.

May we hold each other up and support our Chalice community.

Staff Contact Information -

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.