Chalice News and Notes Jan. 15, 2021

Chalice Admin

Jan 15, 2021, 9:42:44 PM1/15/21
to mem...@cvuuf.org, announ...@cvuuf.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through Justice and Compassion.

Community Forum

"New Voices for Justice"

Please join us Saturday, January 16th at 7:00 p.m for our next community forum "New Voices for Justice."  You'll meet three of the Social Justice Fund for Ventura County's 2020 fellowship grantees and hear about their exciting work.  Sara Guilllen is helping to launch a healthy food project in Oxnard; Elibet Valencia Munoz is creating a documentary of traditional Mixteco dance; and Katie Rai of Justice in the Classroom is seeking to increase diversity, equity and inclusion across Ventura County schools.

Please register in advance here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/4ba09653

Next Service Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021 - 10 AM

Exploring Nonviolent Action

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn

Sunday Service on Zoom at 10 a.m.

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and Congressman John Lewis were staunch advocates of a non-violent revolution. Today, on this Sunday celebrating Martin Luther King Day, we explore what non-violent action means, and the many ways we might engage it to make our world more racially equitable, peaceful and just.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

We have programs for our middle schoolers and elementary kids. For now, we have put a pause on meetups for YRUU. Family Chapel continues on Sundays at 9am.

Family Chapel -

Sundays 9-9:30am

Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81860584057?pwd=SkppaGd1TlhraEh0b3BSemdrUGtidz09

Please share this information with your children and youth!

Send any questions to d...@chaliceuu.org.

Coming up in February – Crossing Paths: Islam

Registration now open!

Sessions start February 7

Open to 4th through 8th graders, we explore a different religion each month through videos, discussions, and activities. This is highly recommended to youth in 7th and 8th grade, offering a strong base when they begin Coming of Age in the 2021-22 church year.

 For more information contact your DRE Sam Dickerson at d...@chaliceuu.org

Weekly Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

Ignite In Us Radical Love

By Rev. Rebekah Savage

We light our flaming chalice as a beloved people united in love and thirsting for restorative justice.

May it melt away the tethers that uphold whiteness in our midst. May it spark in us a spirit of humility.

May it ignite in us radical love that transforms our energy into purposeful action.

This a chalice of audacious hope.

This chalice shines a light on our shared past, signaling our intention to listen deeply, reflect wisely, and move boldly toward our highest ideals.

Celebrate his legacy at the 35th Annual Ventura County Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Monday, January 18th free virtual event!  Watch the live broadcast at 10:00 a.m. and/or join the "drive-in" rebroadcast at Oxnard Performing Arts Center at 4:30 p.m.  The keynote speaker will be Tamika Jean-Baptiste, AMGEN Executive director of Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging.  You may spot some Chalice members in the virtual MLK choir!  "Lives end when we are silent... Get in trouble, good trouble."

For more info:

https://www.facebook.com/events/156278459202366

https://www.mlkventuracounty.com/livestream

CLUE is inviting our house of worship to participate in a National Moment of Unity and Remembrance on Tuesday, Jan. 19 at 2:30 pm. This is a non-partisan, nationwide event that is sponsored by the Inauguration Committee. The presidential inauguration is non-partisan; leaders of all political views typically attend the event to participate in the peaceful transition of leadership.

The National Moment of Unity and Remembrance will involve activating our Calls to Worship (ringing church bells, blowing the shofar, calling to prayer, etc.) in recognition of the lives lost to COVID in the past year. Tragically, there may be as many as 400,000 lives lost by that time.

Will you participate by ringing your church bells, blowing the shofar, or otherwise calling attention in a solemn way?

Tuesday, Jan. 19

2:30 pm in California

CLUE: Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice

http://www.cluejustice.org/

YA @ Chalice

18 - 30 Somethings

If you haven’t done so already please take our survey so that we can get to know what you are interested in and what will be best for us as a whole. https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/886281

NEW TO CHALICE?

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89732253736?pwd=YXFUS0hxby9pZHQrdkI1Y0NUMWp2QT09

One tap mobile

+16699009128

Dial by your location

        +1 669 900 9128

Meeting ID: 897 3225 3736

Passcode: 540964

 Starting Point Journey Circle - for members and newcomers

Begins Sunday, January 17th, 1 - 3 pm

LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER

Are you new to UUism, or have you been here a while and would like to deepen your Chalice connections and UU understanding? If so, we invite you to join our UU journey program called 'Starting Point'. This monthly group is a hybrid between Chalice Circles and our Membership class. It will be a three session group. It is aimed at visitors, as well as long-time members. The idea is to deepen everyone’s spiritual journey and connect new and old with one another, creating a web of interconnection in our Fellowship. An additional hope is to help newer people deepen their spiritual engagement at Chalice and with small groups.

All are welcome to this class by prior registration, although preference will be given to newcomers. A commitment to all three sessions is requested.

Each session is from 1 - 3 pm on Zoom (link to be sent after registration):

  • Sunday, January 17 - Session 1 will explore our personal spiritual journeys.

  • Saturday, February 28 - Session 2 will examine UU and Chalice’s history.

  • Sunday, March 21 - Session 3 will look at our UU Theological journey.

Please let us know if you can join us by emailing SPi...@chaliceuu.org.  It will be fun, we promise! Please register by January 16th.

CHALICE OUT SERVING THE COMMUNITY….

This week Chalice provided lunch for the day and night shift frontline healthcare workers at Pleasant Valley Hospital in Camarillo. Thank you to everyone who made this happen. Each lunch came with a blessing letter from Rev. Nica, which many have posted at their work stations for encouragement.

Chalice Circle Service Projects

The second Monday afternoon Chalice Circle service project to help families of fieldworkers was completed in December.

Our mission was to donate Christmas gifts and other items for the families. Our circle members contributed everything from gently used warm blankets, to purchased kitchen items and toys. There were wrapped gifts containing puzzles, coloring books and children’s books. There was also a generous donation of cash that went directly to Friends of Fieldworkers.

We gathered many bundles and brought them to Pastor Fermin Hernandez in Oxnard. The gifts were further distributed to J Ramirez, an organizer from the El Rio school district who is familiar with many of the farmworker families, and Judy Lucas, head of the Friends of Fieldworkers in Ojai.

We are confident our gifts helped keep families warm and brought smiles to children’s faces on Christmas.

Randall Edwards and Jill Lewis

Join Rev. Nica on Thursdays, at 5 pm for an hour of community. In addition to having time to check in with one another, each week we will enjoy different activities together. These may include meditation, singing, check-in, spiritual practice, or even games. It’s a chance to share how you’re doing and be supported by Rev Nica and your Chalice community. Hope to see you there.

For more information email ad...@chaliceuu.org

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/401646659?pwd=VGhkVXc2MkxIbWQxSE81Wkw5QVZVZz09

Meeting ID: 401 646 659

Password: 2020

One tap mobile

+16699009128,,401646659# US (San Jose)

Join Zoom Meeting after service on Sunday, January 31.

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Taking Social Action Online

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter and other concerns, click on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

The Citizens Climate Lobby meetings are open to anyone interested in saving our planet! The meetings will continue on the 2nd Saturday of the month indefinitely. Next meeting on Saturday, February 13 @ 9 am.

Here is the sign-on info:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82274752266?pwd=YUR1enR2RXFQLzN1a0xTK0NiYXRqZz09

Or:

Meeting ID: 822 7475 2266

Passcode: 271577

Chalice Climate Action Team - (Zoom meeting 4th Sunday at 12:30pm, January 24, 2021 CCATContact@ChaliceUU.org

Another Failed Attempt to Greenwash Beef

In June 2019, we reviewed a study by the environmental consultancy Quantis that was commissioned by White Oak Pastures (WOP). Quantis concluded that WOP was storing more carbon in its soil than the combined greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of its pasture-raised cows during their lifetime. Our brief review was critical, partly due to the clear bias in a previous Nestle-funded Quantis study which concluded that allowing plastic bottles in national parks was ecologically benign. However, the main criticism was because of the large body of scientific literature refuting the claims of so-called “regenerative grazing,” an idea popularized by Allan Savory, and which also goes under names such as “holistic grazing” and “rotational grazing.” Subsequently, WOP began to make wide-scale claims about their carbon-negative beef.

Read more here: https://sentientmedia.org/another-failed-attempt-to-greenwash-beef/

Next Racial & Cultural Justice Team: Next meeting on Wed. Feb. 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

The Racial and Cultural Justice Team meets monthly to reflect on issues and develop action plans for education/service, advocacy/coalition and witness/protest. For more information contact Randall Edwards rcjco...@chaliceuu.org.

Community Forum Planning Meetings

Do you enjoy our Community Forums?  Ever considered joining the Community Forum Team?  Check out our planning meetings now being held regularly on 4th Mondays of the month from 5:00-6:30 p.m.  Our next meeting will be January 25th.  Be part of sharing Chalice's values with the wider community!

For more information, contact: fo...@chaliceuu.org

AmazonSmile is a program that donates 0.5% of your eligible purchases on Amazon to a charity of your choice.

Give to Chalice while you shop!

All you need to do is start your shopping at smile.amazon.com. You can then choose to donate to the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Conejo Valley at no extra cost to you. It's an easy way to support this congregation.

Thank you for your support!

THANK YOU FOR GIVING TO CHALICE

Here’s how to make your gifts go farthest...

We are so grateful for all and any gifts to Chalice! Thank you for helping our beautiful Fellowship thrive!

What you might not be aware of is that some of your gifts are subject to fees that reduce the funds that we get.  Here are the ways that we get donations, and the associated fees, in ascending order of fees.

  1. Cash: No fees. But we don’t generally know who it comes from, so you won’t get credit at tax time.

  2. Checks to Chalice: No fees.  Be sure to indicate on the memo line if they are for pledge fulfillment or a gift.  A popular means of paying by check is to use online bill pay from your bank, which can be set up as a recurring payment.  Chalice is not one of the bank’s regular payees (like a utility), but if you use “Chalice” as the name and our office address (3331 Old Conejo Road, Newbury Park, CA 91320-2115) it will work fine.

  3. Automated withdrawal from a checking account (also called ACH).  No fees.

Please contact Stewardship Chairperson Don Cooper can set this up for you. It’s a great way to give. Email: don...@roadrunner.com

  1. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using ACH (your bank account):  Fee of 1% plus $0.25 per transaction.  You give Breeze your bank account number and the bank routing number to set this up.

  2. Online or text-to-give through Breeze using a Credit CardFee of 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.  This the easiest giving method, but it comes at a cost.

  3. PayPal through the Chalice Website:  Fee of 2.2% plus $0.30 per transaction.  You access this through the Chalice home page using the “giving” pull-down menu, then “donate.”

If you wish to give via text or online, you may choose to add an additional amount to cover the fees to Chalice - so that Chalice receives the full amount you intended. Thank you!

Again, huge gratitude for any and all gifts.

We could not exist without your generosity.

Are you looking to Connect more deeply with Chalice activities and friends? Or are you currently actively involved in Chalice? There are ways to share this information using Breeze.

1. Take the Chalice Interest and Skills Survey: A way for newer members to find ways to get involved. How would you like to contribute, work with others, be in community and stay involved at Chalice? Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/a0a810

2. Take the Chalice Involvement in Groups, Committees, Social Justice and more Survey: How you are engaging with Chalice at this time. Click here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/d9b495

3. Visiting Chalice and wish to receive and share more about yourself? Take this survey: https://bit.ly/ChaliceConnection

Information from these forms will help both Community Life and the Leadership Cultivation Committee help YOU find ways to connect at Chalice. Thanks!

(Form 1 & 2 can also be found on your Profile page in Breeze)

Have you ever wanted to take voice lessons, learn to play the piano or study music theory? Has the pandemic left you with extra time on your hands and a desire to learn something new? If so, consider contacting Chalice’s Music Director, Anthony Concepcion. Anthony is currently offering zoom lessons at a discounted rate of 20% off for Chalice members and friends. Email him at musicd...@chaliceuu.org to ask any questions and schedule a trial lesson.  Peace, love and music!

Weekly Calendar of Events

Saturday, January 16

7:00pm Community Forum: "New Voices for Justice" (Zoom2)

Sunday, January 17

9:00am Family Chapel - PreK – 2nd / Lower Elementary (Zoom B)

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

1:00pm Chalice Circle 3rd Sunday (zoom)

1:00pm Starting Point Program (zoom2)

1:00pm Crossing Paths (Zoom B)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, January 18

7:00pm Chalice Circle 3rd Monday (zoom)

Tuesday, January 19

10:00am Gardenia Group (zoom)

6:30pm Choir Tuesdays (Zoom B)

7:00pm Board Meeting (Zoom)

Wednesday, January 20

4:00pm Community Life Meeting (Zoom 2)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Choir Rehearsal (Zoom)

7:00pm Chalice Circle 3rd Wednesday (zoomB)

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, January 21

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

5:00pm Community Hour with Rev. Nica (zoom2)

Our Community Cares - Pastoral Concerns

It's so important to stay connected during these times.  In News and Notes we will share joys and concerns within our Chalice community. Let us know if you’d like to share something here. Also, if you have special news to share with the congregation in Sunday services please write to ad...@chaliceuu.org or Rev Nica at mini...@chaliceuu.org.

May we hold each other up and support our Chalice community.

Staff Contact Information -

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.