Chalice News and Notes 6.17.22

Chalice Admin

Jun 17, 2022, 5:02:01 PM6/17/22
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

This Sunday’s Service 10 am in person and online

Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn

Honoring Juneteenth and Father's Day

Today marks the convergence of two celebrations: Juneteenth and Father's Day. So today we celebrate and lift up among others the gifts of Black Fathers. Join us for this uniquely UU celebration of the blessings of fathers and Juneteenth.

Join us In Person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10:00 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Summer Youth Programs begin THIS SUNDAY June 19th

Summer Sundays @ 11:30

We have 3 fabulous RE programs for our Chalice youth this summer.

These engaging programs will be appropriate to our various age groups.

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/ORy29JFK7_4

Or read more about them below…

“Magic Summer” for elementary aged youth explores the magic of our 7th Principle through the three S's: Service to Others, Silence and Mindfulness, and Sunshine and Movement. We'll be making seed balls and exploring water justice but also making treats for the humane society and writing notes of encouragement for elders.

“Doh God”  for  middle school youth explores social justice themes found in episodes of The Simpsons.

“5th Dimension” for YRUU (high school) youth explores themes found in episodes of The Twilight Zone.

Each program begins on Sunday at 11:30 am

and lasts 45 minutes to an hour depending on the material.

And while the youth are attending their programs, Reverend Nica will host:

Connect with the Minister Family Coffee Hour

 June 19th at 11:30 (after service)

In Adult RE room upstairs - Fellowship Hall

 During the launch of these RE programs, Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn will host a coffee hour and Connect with the Minister specifically for parents. Take this opportunity, while your children begin their summer programs to get to know other parents and Reverend Nica.

We hope to see you there!

Have ideas about what you want to see in RE? Or questions about these programs?

Email your DRE Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

Please note for the following Sunday…

A special service at a special time

Sunday June 26th - 9:30am - ONLINE ONLY

Reverend Gretchen Haley, Reverend Sean Neil-Barron and Reverend Shari Halliday-Quan

Join us for the largest annual gathering of UUs in worship. This powerful, communal worship experience Sunday June 26th at 9:30am Pacific will take place online. The Rev. Gretchen Haley, Senior Minister of the Foothills Unitarian Universalist Church in Fort Collins, CO will lead the 2022 Sunday Service at GA.

Chalice General Assembly Q & A Online

 Saturday, June 18th at 11:30 a.m.

Got questions about GA business?

Want to chat with your Chalice delegates?

Join here:

https://uuma.zoom.us/my/revnica

or

Email anytime to:  gadel...@chailceuu.org

Video of public events from General Assembly (GA) 2022 will be live-streamed on this page, June 22-26—no registration is required. https://www.uua.org/ga/off-site/2022

Watch General Sessions, the Sunday Morning Worship, the Service of Living Tradition, and the Synergy Bridging Worship.

Business Agenda: https://www.uua.org/files/2022-05/final%20agenda%2022.pdf

AIW’s Action of Immediate Witness: https://www.uua.org/action/process/planning-aiw-ga

General Assembly: June 22-26, 2022 – Online or In-person

To register for GA 2022:

Registration Information

Chalice Open Mic Nite

Starting THIS SUNDAY June 19th ~ 6-8 pm

Sign ups begin @ 5:30 pm

For more information, see flier below or reach out to Anthony at musicd...@chaliceuu.org

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

We Light Our Chalice For Fathers and For Fatherhood

 For sleepless nights awaiting the curfew-breakers

For anxious hours as a driving instructor

For hours spent on sidelines, cheering

And watching school plays, sometimes “resting our eyes,”

For the pressures of bread-winning

And “wait ‘til your father gets home.”

For teaching moments and mentoring moments,

For making up answers when you just don’t know,

But are expected to because you know everything

For scrapes and boo-boo kisses and Band-Aids,

For hugs and kisses and silliness and play

For bedtime stories and early morning ice time

For all the after-shave and ties received as gifts

For handing over car keys and waves good-bye

For father-daughter wedding dances

And cradling grandchildren for the first time

For all the moments and all the meaning in the role of a lifetime,

We light our chalice for fathers and for fatherhood.

~ Rev. Peter Friedrichs

Thank You for Your Participation in the

ANNUAL CONGREGATIONAL MEETING

The Slate for both the new Board and for the Conflict Resolution committee were adopted, as was the annual budget. We thank you all for your participation in this process.

Here are the results:

Board of Trustees

     President:  Annie Barker                      2 year term

     Vice President:  Brandi Baker             1 year term

     Treasurer:  Don Cooper                        2 year term

     Secretary:  Matt Chapa                          1 year term

     At Large:  Dave Buss                               2 year term

     At Large:  Ayanna Gaines                      1 year term

  At Large: Andy Pletcher (she is continuing in her role as an At Large member)

Conflict Resolution Committee:

     Merlin Snider 2 year term

     Candy Ganka 2 year term

     Randall Edwards 2 year term

A copy of the minutes can be found in our shared member google drive at this link:

2022 Membership Meeting 6/12 Minutes

Minister Out of Office

June 20 - July 4

Please note that Reverend Nica Eaton-Guinn will be out of the office from June 20th until July 4th. She will be attending the UUA General Assembly and UUMA Ministry Days from June 20 - 26th and on vacation from June 27th through July 4th. She will be back in the office on Tuesday, July 5th. During her week’s vacation she will not be checking emails, texts or phone messages.

Thank you for your patience in hearing back from her.

If you have an urgent need, please contact our Board President, Annie Barker, at pres...@chaliceuu.org. For general questions or concerns, please contact our Administrator, Ana Johnson at ad...@chaliceuu.org or by calling (805) 498-9548‬. For a non-emergency pastoral care need, our Pastoral Care Team is here to serve - please reach them by emailing pastor...@chaliceuu.org.

Many Mansions is inviting Chalice members and friends to visit

Thursday, June 30th at 10:00 am

Many Mansions is a non-profit organization that provides affordable housing to low-income residents of Ventura and Los Angeles Counties, with a special focus on those of very low-income, who are formerly homeless, seniors, veterans, or disabled.  They’ve invited us to learn more about them!

If you are interested in touring Many Mansions, please contact Randall at randalled...@gmail.com

One Day Meditation Class with Rev. Nica

July 23rd from 9:30 am-4pm

A day-long mindfulness meditation retreat focused on

the practices of Loving Kindness and Compassion.

Prior meditation experience encouraged.

Free for members.

Bring your own sack lunch.

Email ad...@chaliceuu.org to reserve your spot!

Limited spots available.

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Tired of high gas prices?

Have you been considering purchasing an electric vehicle? You could save between $1000 and $7000 dollars!

Use this tool to determine incentive programs available for the purchase or lease of your clean vehicle: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/en

Incentives are based on where you live, the type of vehicle purchased or leased and household income. Also check your local city, county, air district and utility company for rebates that may not be listed!

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Saturday, June 18

11:30am GA discussion with Chalice Delegates (Rev Nica zoom)

Sunday, June 19

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am D'Oh God! - Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish

11:30am Magic Summer - Make Seed Balls Part 1

11:30am The 5th Dimension - Time Enough at Last

11:30am  Parent’s Connect with the Minister Coffee Hour

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

6:00pm 3rd Sunday of the Month Open Mic

Wednesday, June 22

12:00pm UU 2022 General Assembly

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, June 23

 UU 2022 General Assembly

7:00pm Men's Discussion Group (Zoom 2)

7:00pm Moonflower Women's Group (Zoom)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org