Chalice News and Notes 5.27.22

Chalice Admin

May 27, 2022, 5:01:08 PM5/27/22
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Next Service Sunday 10 am - In person or online

Reverend Liz Murphy

Rooted Together

The natural world is a beautiful teacher of the possibility of relationship surrounding us -- and the harmony possible in community. What truth and connection might we find just outside our back doors? How might we learn some powerful lessons from the buzzing bees and the sprouting leaves? This Sunday, we’ll consider how we are "Rooted Together," examining how the spirit of life works within us and around us when we most need it.

Rev. Liz Murphy (she/her) is a chaplain resident at the VA Hospital of Loma Linda, CA. She is also an affiliated community minister at Orange Coast Unitarian Universalist Church in Costa Mesa, CA. Liz graduated from the Claremont School of Theology with a Master of Divinity in 2020. She previously worked as the Interfaith Programs Assistant at the University of Southern California Office of Religious and Spiritual Life, as well as a chaplain intern at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Originally from Pittsburgh, she lives in Los Angeles with her wife, Hilary.

Join us In Person or for the Zoom Meeting at 10:00 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

And after Service this week… enjoy our

 Neighborhood Networks Dot Sunday!

Sunday May 29th 11:30 am

People come to Chalice from far and wide. This Sunday you have the opportunity to meet with people from your geographic area. Get to know your neighbors, make connections and enjoy some bonding with people from your community. We will have rooms available on our Chalice campus for in person meetings as well as zoom rooms for those who can’t attend in person. For those attending service via zoom, stay logged in after the service, take a brief break to stretch your legs then come back and you will be moved into your neighborhood’s zoom breakout. For newer members who are with us in person, there will be people there on campus to help you find your neighborhood meeting room!

Family Chapel

Sunday mornings 9-9:30am

Check In opportunities with your friends in RE!

Enjoy music, stories, and checking in with friends. Ideal for younger children through third grade but all are welcome!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81860584057?pwd=SkppaGd1TlhraEh0b3BSemdrUGtidz09

Have ideas about what you want to see in RE?

Email your DRE Sam Dickerson d...@chaliceuu.org

Reverend Nica Out of Office

May 27th-30th

Rev Nica is out of the office on study leave from May 27 - 30. During this time she will have no internet or phone service so will not be checking emails, texts or phone messages. She will be back in the office on Tuesday, May 31. Thank you for your patience in hearing back from her.

If you have an urgent need, please contact our Board President, Don Cooper, at pres...@chaliceuu.org or by calling (805) 340-7648. For general questions or concerns, please contact our Administrator, Ana Johnson at ad...@chaliceuu.org or by calling (805) 498-9548‬. For a non-emergency pastoral care need, our Pastoral Care Team is here to serve - please reach them by emailing pastor...@chaliceuu.org.

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

Our light is the light of the sun,

keeper of all we love;

our light is the light of the earth,

provider of sustenance;

our light is the light of all living things,

life precious like our own.

our light is the light of each of us,

bound together in need and hope;

our light is the light of the cosmos,

keeper of all we know.

May it be so.

~Rev. David Breeden

Building Beloved Community Advocates'First Fridays Movie Discussion Night

will be discussing Real Women Have Curves on Friday, June 3rd.

Watch the film in advance on your own

OR

Come to Fellowship Hall on Friday, June 3rd at 3:00 p.m.

when we'll screen Real Women Have Curves together!

Join us virtually June 3rd at 7:00 p.m. for conversation here:

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/94593796809?pwd=MGxldU1CM2VkUVhqVHJiM1VNUW9tZz09

Meeting ID: 945 9379 6809

Passcode: 806560

Real Women Have Curves tells the story of Ana, a first generation Mexican-American teenager on the verge of becoming a woman and the struggles between her ambitions and the desires of her mother.  Ana receives a full scholarship to Columbia University while her parents feel that now is the time for her to help provide for the family, not the time for college.

LAST BBCA MOVIE NIGHT FOR THE SUMMER!

Chalice Family Picnic in the Park

June 5th 11:30 am - 1:00 pm Peppertree Park

Bring your picnic basket and join other Chalice families and RE volunteers for lunch in the park. Laugh, play, and meet new friends as we conclude another wonderful church year.

Senior Services and Fraud Protection

Expanding Your Options for Senior Services &

How to Protect Yourself and Loved Ones from Scams and Fraud

Friday, June 10th – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

with

Martha Shapiro, Director of Programs, Senior Concerns

Kellie Tyndall, Senior Victim Advocate, County of Ventura District Attorney’s Office

Topics Included:

  •   Support services for seniors

  •   Caregiver support

  •   Help protect yourself and your loved ones from frauds, scams, and theft

  •   How to get help

Older Americans are one of the fastest-growing demographics in the country. The population of people aged sixty-five and older was 16% in 2019 and is projected to grow to 21.6% by 2040. *

One in five Americans (19%) are providing unpaid care to an adult with health or functional needs. ** Hear about what programs and services are available to help seniors and family caregivers.

An increasing number of Americans, particularly the elderly, are falling victim to fraud. Seniors lost more than $3 billion in 2020 to financial scams. *** Hear how you can protect your loved ones – and yourself – from scams and fraud!

Please register for the forum in advance here:

 https://bit.ly/SeniorServicesFraudProtection

* U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Community Living

** National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP. *** Consumer Affairs

Chalice Annual Congregational Meeting

June 12, 11:30 am ~ following service in person and by zoom

Members, please mark your calendars now! Hear updates about our Fellowship from Rev. Nica, Don Cooper and Dave Buss; vote on our new Board members and Chalice’s budget; ask questions about Rev. Nica’s sabbatical. Your voice matters and we’d love to see you there.

In preparation for the Annual Meeting, here is some important information to know. First…

Budget Q&A meeting for Chalice Members

hosted via zoom

 June 8th, 2022, at 6pm

This meeting is to answer questions on the proposed budget for our next fiscal year. Members are invited to attend and have your questions answered.

The zoom link is https://uuma.zoom.us/my/revnica

Also, nominations for election at the congregational meeting in June have been finalized.  Thank you to the Leadership Cultivation Committee for their work on this. Here are the results:

Board of Trustees

     President:  Annie Barker                      2 year term

     Vice President:  Brandi Baker             1 year term

     Treasurer:  Don Cooper                       2 year term

     Secretary:  Matt Chapa                        1 year term

     At Large:  Dave Buss                          2 year term

     At Large:  Ayanna Gaines                   1 year term

Conflict Resolution Committee:

     Merlin Snider 2 year term

     Candy Ganka 2 year term

     Randall Edwards 2 year term

Chalice Open Mic Nite

Third Sunday of the Month

Starting June 19th ~ 6-8 pm

sign ups begin @ 5:30 pm

For more information, see flier below or reach out to Anthony at musicd...@chaliceuu.org

UU the Vote is waiting for you!

We need help!

We are proud to say that so far our UUtheVote group of postcard writers are finishing up their first 2000 postcards to voters and are about to start on their third thousand.  Pamela Lopez is unable to continue her participation in this important UU program due to work commitments and Jill Lewis will need help to continue her leadership and support of the UUtheVote project.  If one (preferably two, maybe even three) volunteers step up and help with distribution and coordination, that would be AMAZING.  Let's keep UUtheVote moving forward so we can continue to be part of the change we want to see.

One Day Meditation Class with Rev. Nica

July 23rd from 9:30 am-4pm

A day-long mindfulness meditation retreat focused on

the practices of Loving Kindness and Compassion.

Prior meditation experience encouraged.

Free for members.

Bring your own sack lunch.

Email ad...@chaliceuu.org to reserve your spot!

General Assembly Registration now open - Join Rev Nica

online or in-person in Portland, Oregon

 June 22-26, 2022

with Ibrahim X. Kendi as Ware Speaker scheduled to lecture on

June 25th @ 4pm pacific

General Assembly 2022 will be a multiplatform event, with registration options for in-person and/or virtual participation. In-person registration includes access to events scheduled to take place in Portland, Oregon, as well as everything available to virtual registrants. Full virtual registration includes access to the GA app, as well as all on-demand programming, live webinars, and live-streamed events.

Please let Rev. Nica know if you choose to participate.

https://www.uua.org/ga/registration

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Protect our clean water for families and farms!

Voting happens on June 7th

VC-SAFE formed to mount a campaign to educate voters about the need for consistent permits to keep our farm food and water safe. Consistent permits will make all proposed drilling projects subject to an environmental review.

To learn more, check out their website: https://vcsafe.org/

Follow them on social media: https://www.facebook.com/vcsafe/

https://www.instagram.com/vc_safe/

https://twitter.com/VCSAFE

Text “YES on Safe” to 23321 to stop Big Oil and support VC-SAFE!

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Friday, May 27

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Sunday, May 29

10:00am Chalice Worship Service In Person and (Zoom 2)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Tuesday, May 31

1:00pm Feeding Hands (food preparation)

4:00pm Feeding Hands (serving)

5:30pm Pastoral Care meeting (Rev. Nica’s Zoom)

Wednesday, June 1

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, June 2

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

7:00pm LCC Monthly Meeting (Zoom2)

Friday, June 3

3:00pm BCAA - Movie Screening (First Friday)

7:00pm Friday Night Movie Discussion on (Zoom2)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org