Chalice News and Notes 2.2.24

Chalice Admin

Feb 2, 2024, 5:16:03 PMFeb 2
to mem...@chaliceuu.org, announ...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

February 2 (TONIGHT!) - Community Forum: Ranked Choice Voting - 7pm on Zoom

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/RankedChoiceVotingVC

February 4 - UU the Vote Team Meeting - 11:30 (after service) on Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/96601848167?pwd=SU1DY3g1cHVRUEJpa3lEZTczTEYwZz09

February 5 - Racial & Cultural Justice Team Meeting - 5:30pm on Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

February 9 - Movie Screening & Discussion: “Stamped from the Beginning” - 7 pm in the Sanctuary (in person)

February 11 - Families Care - After Service in FH

February 18 - WEAV - 4 pm on Zoom

February 25 - Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting - 12 pm Joi Café

TONIGHT! Friday, February 2nd – 7:00 p.m. PT (via Zoom)

Ranked Choice Voting:

Upgrading Our Elections in Ventura County

Paul Copley

Ventura County Regional Coordinator, California RCV Coalition

‘Ranked choice voting, known as RCV, is a simple reform that can lead to significant benefits for our cities, state, and country. It’s an upgrade from the existing single choice voting system that favors entrenched interests and underlies so much political dysfunction.

RCV lets you rank candidates by choice 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on instead of having to choose just one. If your first choice cannot win, your vote automatically transfers to your second choice.’ CalRCV

Come hear more about how RCV works. You can even take part in a demonstration of RCV voting and vote counting! Learn how RCV can help us depolarize, diversify, and decrease costs.

Please register for the forum in advance here:

https://bit.ly/RankedChoiceVotingVC

Due to extreme weather forecasts and travel advisories recommending people not drive unless absolutely necessary,  our Sunday Service will be held online only this week (February 4th). We want to make sure everyone is safe. Please reach out to your neighborhood network leader if you have any concerns or need support or email pastor...@chaliceuu.org

We look forward to seeing you on Zoom at 10 am Sunday.

For more information about this week’s sermon, see below.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

SUNDAY SERVICE - ONLINE ONLY

Via Zoom - 10 am

Ayanna Gaines, Worship Leader with Rev. Nica Eaton

Being Black and UU

According to the Pew Research Center, approximately 1% of Unitarian Universalists identify as Black or African American. Congregations often wonder what they can do to make themselves more attractive to people from underrepresented groups. However, a majority of UUs have yet to explore what it means to be a member of a minority group within a minority group. This service, featuring Worship Leader, Ayanna Gaines, explores what it means to be Black and UU.

Link for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am:

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

You can also view our Livestream on FB: https://www.facebook.com/ChaliceUUF

Special Collection to be held February 4th:

To support the Inner City Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles (ICYOLA)!

The Inner City Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles is the largest majority Black orchestra in America.  ICYOLA teaches inner-city youth the great music of the world and provides opportunities for them to perform that music in settings such as the Getty Center and Walt Disney Concert Hall.  Their mission is to cultivate musical expression as a vehicle for personal development, and to bring to fruition the full musical and academic potential of young inner city residents of Los Angeles.

More information here: https://icyola.org

Thank you for your generosity!

Last month’s special collection for Camp DeBenneville Pines raised over $1200!

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

We light this chalice—symbol of our faith alive in this world—

naming our vision of collective liberation,

and daring to re-member each other into beloved community.

Stamped From the Beginning - Movie & Discussion Night

Hosted by Building Beloved Community Advocates (BBCA)

February 9th - 7pm in the Sanctuary (in person)

Using innovative animation and expert insights, this documentary based on Ibram X. Kendi’s bestseller explores the history of racist ideas in America. Please join us to watch the film together and share our thoughts afterward.

WEAV! Starts FEB. 18th at 4 pm on Zoom

What does being a community committed to radical love require of us?

How do we bridge the gap between our ideals and the realities of UU and our world?

Please join Ayanna, Katie M., Matt C., and Randall to explore these themes in…

Using a variety of practices for the heart, body, and mind, WEAV participants will reflect upon, discover, and name individual and communal commitments to Unitarian Universalism as an ongoing way to live in the world, oriented by justice and creating Beloved Community. Each session seeks to provide insight into the complexity of the issue of antiracist work involving UU spiritual, physical, emotional, and intellectual growth.

Sessions will be on Sundays on Zoom:

February 18 4-6:30

Feb 25 4-5:30

March 3 4-5:30

Mar 10 4-5:30

Mar 17 4-5:30

Mar 24 4-5:30

April 7 4-5:30

Apr 14 4-6:30

Please join us for our first session on Sunday, February 18 to find out if this journey is right for you!

To sign up or for further information, please email: WEAVc...@chaliceuu.org.

UU Ukuleles rehearsals will resume on February 8th 2024 (and continue 2nd Thursday of the month).

The February Open Mic will be held on the regularly scheduled 3rd Sunday (February 18th).

Chalice Women’s Retreat – Save the Date!

Saturday March 16th

The Chalice Women’s Retreat this year will be a local all-day gathering on Saturday, March 16. We hope you’ll join us at the beautiful Camarillo home of Ellen Smith for meaningful connections, deep sharing, some crafting, and a yummy, wholesome lunch with the women of Chalice. More information will be available soon but mark your calendars now.

Camp DeBenneville

amazing upcoming camps!

For grades K through 6 and their families:

2024 UU Elementary Family Winter Camp

February 17 - 19, 2024

Deans: Shannon and Bill Stoker

Together we'll harness the forces of confidence, character, and creativity to discover the superpowers hidden inside us all. Winter camp is the perfect way to spend quality time with the family, as well as allow children the opportunity for personal growth and foster independence.

Register Here: Superhero Camp Sign Up

And SAVE THE DATE for the following:

Registration opens January 13th for highly anticipated camps!

These sell out fast so be sure to register early!

RAINBOW FAMILY April 5-7th

YOGA & WHOLE LIVING May 17-19th

Attention Chalice Men - DeBenneville Camp Men’s Retreat

Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st

Are you Interested in:

-Deepening your relationships/connection to other men?

-Exploring the challenges and changes we face in the contemporary world?

-Learning about transitions we go through as we move through adulthood and into our later years?

Men's Retreat Weekend at Camp DeBenneville Pines Friday April 19 to Sunday the 21st.  This is an annual Spring Renewal retreat put together by the First UU Church of San Diego as part of their ongoing men's program.  If there is enough interest from Chalice, there may be the possibility of having our own breakout group within the context of the larger retreat.

If interested in either of these please contact Tim Snowber at 805-204-6037 or tmsn...@gmail.com.  (Texting is the best way to reach me.)

meets the first Monday of Each Month

Next meeting Monday February 5th, 5:30 to 7pm

Join us by Zoom, as we consider developing resources for these challenging times.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

UUA’s Side with Love

30 Days of Love January 15th - February 14th

Link Here: https://sidewithlove.org/30-days-of-love-2024

Side With Love is thrilled to announce 30 Days of Love 2024! Our annual month of spiritual nourishment, political grounding, and shared practices of faith and justice, 30 Days of Love will go from Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 15) through Valentine’s Day (February 14). Each week’s resources will be published by 12pm ET every Monday.

This year’s 30 Days of Love is a gift to our whole community: a love letter, a warm hug, a spiritual balm for all of the individuals, families, religious professionals, partners and communities that embody our values and work for justice and liberation year round. Each week will feature a spiritual theme overlapping with one of Side With Love’s intersectional justice priorities, and we'll share an array of offerings to help nourish your spirit and give gratitude and affirmation.

  • WEEK 1 (January 15-21) Safety :: Decriminalization

  • WEEK 2 (January 22-28) Re-Imagining :: Climate Justice

  • WEEK 3 (January 29 - February 4) Possibility :: Bodily Autonomy (LGBTQIA+, reproductive, gender, and disability justice)

  • WEEK 4 (February 5-11) Resilience :: Democracy & Electoral Justice

  • BONUS DAYS (February 12-14) Interdependence :: Liberatory Intersections

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial & Cultural Justice Team: 1st Monday zoom meetings at 5:30pm each month.

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month once a quarter - Next meeting March 14th  6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month - Next meeting will be Feb. 25th

Community Forum Team meeting day and time now changing to 3rd Mondays at 7:00 p.m. beginning February 19th.

Contact Justice...@chaliceuu.org for more information

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Want to make a special collection suggestion?

Chalice members are invited to submit a Special Collections Request Form for non-partisan, non-profit organizations whose work is consistent with UU values and principles and is not known to engage in activities which would conflict with UU values and principles.  Requests are reviewed quarterly by the Special Collections Review Team.

Friday, February 2

7:00pm Community Forum: Ranked Choice Voting (zoom2)

Saturday, February 3

7:30am AA Meeting

10:00am OA Meeting

5:00pm Bunco Party (Auction event) - in Fellowship Hall

Sunday, February 4

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2)

11:30am UUTHEVOTE Team meeting (Zoom Only)

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Monday, February 5

5:30pm Racial and Cultural Justice Ministry Team meeting

6:30pm Journaling Group

Tuesday, February 6

5:30pm Community Life Meeting (zoom2)

Wednesday, February 7

5:30pm Overeaters Anonymous

6:30pm Finance SVT 1 & 3rd wed. meeting (zoom2 )

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

Thursday, February 8

7:00pm Sapphire women's Group (zoom)

7:00pm 2nd Thursday UU Ukeleles

Friday, February 9

7:00pm BBCA Movie Discussion Night: "Stamped from the Beginning"

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton, Minister, mini...@chaliceuu.org