Chalice News and Notes 12.30.22

1 view

Chalice Admin

Dec 30, 2022, 2:01:44 PM12/30/22
to announ...@chaliceuu.org, mem...@chaliceuu.org

We Nurture Spiritually Courageous People

Who Transform the World through

Justice and Compassion

Explore our website to learn more about everything we are doing.

www.chaliceuu.org

Here's What's Happening

Jan 1 - Online only New Year’s Day service on Zoom at 10 am  Happy New Year!

Jan 5 - Mindful of Race Book Club begins meeting 7pm

Jan 7 - Families Care 4pm, Potluck and Undeck the Halls at 5pm!

Jan 8  - In person service followed by Good Trouble Congregation Celebration

Jan 8 - Crossing Paths for Adults - Quakerism- 1-2:30pm in Social Hall

Jan 9 - Living Dharma Connection - 7:30pm

Jan 9 - Monday Night Book Discussion - 7:30pm

Jan 9 - Living Dharma Connection Meditation - 7:30 pm

January 1 - Happy New Year!

Online Only Service - 10 am

Rev. Dr. Susan Frederick Gray and Matthew Chapa

Embracing Possibility in Times of Change

As we start a new year, join us today online to embrace the possibility of change. This service led by Rev. Dr. Susan Frederick Gray and other UUA staff members, will help us lean into the new year and this time of change. Join us on zoom only at 10 am to begin your New Year in a positive way.

Join us for the Zoom Meeting at 10 am

https://zoom.us/j/209555249?pwd=dkVSdDE1ZWh5dHBVcXo2ZHVKQUJkQT09

Meeting ID: 209 555 249

Phone: 16699009128

Password: 2020

Chalice Lighting

To start your day, a meeting, or before a meal

For the new year,

just days old,

beginning today,

always beginning:

We light our chalice,

symbol of faith, perseverance, and hope,

in astonished thanksgiving and irrepressible praise.

For beginnings that

emerge out of endings,

appear amidst continuity,

become visible in hindsight:

We light our chalice,

symbol of faith, perseverance, and hope,

in astonished thanksgiving and irrepressible praise.

For all the times,

and all the ways,

we have begun anew, together:

We light our chalice,

symbol of faith, perseverance, and hope,

in astonished thanksgiving and irrepressible praise.

~ Lisa Doege

Mindful of Race Book Group

The Building Beloved Community Advocates are honored to host an upcoming book discussion group. We will be reading "My Grandmother's Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies" by Resmaa Menakem. The book is a call to action for all of us to recognize that racism is not only about the head, but about the body, and introduces an alternative view of what we can do to grow beyond our entrenched racialized divide.

Meetings will take place via Zoom. We will meet the first and third Thursday evenings of the month from 7pm-8:30pm for 8 sessions. Our first meeting will take place January 5 and our last meeting will be April 20.

Please register here: https://chaliceuu.breezechms.com/form/e27f2d

For more information, contact bb...@chaliceuu.org

Families Care

Saturday, Jan 7th 4:00pm

Followed by a Potluck and Undeck the Halls at 5pm

Crossing Paths for Adults is back!

Beginning January 8th

1-2:20 in Social Hall

Living Dharma Connection

2nd Monday of every month, beginning

Monday, January 9th

7:30 to 8:30 pm

This informal Buddhist meditation and Dharma discussion group is open to everyone. To join and receive monthly meeting details/readings, please contact Frédérik Sisa by email at freder...@protonmail.com and/or Sharon Slentz at sharon...@gmail.com.

Monday Night Book Discussion

January 9th ~ 7:30 pm

The Monday night book discussion on zoom has chosen the first two selections for 2023. We meet once a month at 7:30 PM and have selected a variety of fiction and nonfiction titles. The book for Monday January 9th is The Friend by Sigrid Nunez, a National Book Award winner. The choice for February 13th is Circe by Madeline Miller, a new look at Circe with whom Ulysses spent some years. We will post the zoom link in early January. If you have questions, contact Jo Ann Van Reenan (vanre...@gmail.com or 805-382-9794

Come Celebrate Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

“In Darkness Be the Light Striving for Freedom”

Volunteers Needed!

The Chalice Racial & Cultural Justice team invites you to join us to celebrate in Oxnard:

Tuesday, January 3, 2 pm:

  •  Walk the blocks surrounding Oxnard’s Plaza Park with us and others to distribute event fliers for local businesses. (The city requires notification to close streets for the Jan. 16 March.)

Monday, January 16:

  • 8 am: Come to the free gathering at Plaza Park on January 16 at 8am, then join the March to the Oxnard Performing Arts Center at 8:15am. Or help with early setup of our Chalice table.

  • 9 am-1 pm:  Attend the program and reception with refreshments (tickets $10).  Staff or break down our Chalice table at the Oxnard Performing Arts Center as available during the reception.

Program tickets available from Willie Lubka, Sue Norton and Randall Edwards. Or buy them online at:

 https://www.facebook.com/events/3250577058490179 or scan the QR code on the flyer.

If you have questions or want to participate, contact Barbara Leighton belei...@yahoo.com

SAVE THE DATE - Chalice Women’s Retreat

The Chalice Women’s Retreat 2023 is scheduled for the last weekend in March. The women of Chalice are invited to join us at Camp de Benneville Pines from Friday, March 24, through Sunday, March 26! We are planning a return to the mountains for fellowship and renewal. Our theme this year is Being Enough! More details will be available in January.

Consider joining the Chalice Social Justice Facebook group. To learn about latest events supporting Black Lives Matter, Climate Justice and other concerns, click  on:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1260868657268458/

Congratulations, Chalice!!

We are officially a “Good Trouble Congregation!”

Come to the celebration!

 Sunday, January 8th!

Right after service in Fellowship Hall

Meet & Greet with Reverend Anne

Vegan Lunch hosted by CCAT* + Friends

Then

Good Trouble Celebration – Chalice’s Love in Action

12:00pm  gathering in the Sanctuary and online

Hear about all the Love in Action happening at Chalice

And find out what good trouble you can get into!!!

*Chalice Climate Action Team

meets the second Wednesday of Each Month

Next meeting Wednesday, January 11th, 5:30 to 7pm

Join us by Zoom, as we consider developing resources for these challenging times.

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://zoom.us/j/95038163842?pwd=Z08zK3piTDkrNVhvTFFBZWNncVhwZz09

One tap mobile

+16699006833

Meeting ID: 950 3816 3842

Passcode: 734802

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative

Meets the second Thursday of the month

Next Meeting ~ January 12th from 6pm-7pm

If you are a BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or Person Of Color) Unitarian Universalist, we invite you to join Matt Chapa and Ayanna Gaines of Chalice Unitarian Universalist Fellowship for an evening of support and discussion.

Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/95532331455?pwd=TFI3b2MwUG96MmN0c1M5RHZiUXFsZz09

Please note that this meeting is for BIPOC folk only. Allies are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

Chalice has many Social Action groups

to engage with on a monthly basis!

Racial Justice Team: 2nd Wednesday of Each Month - 5:30 - 7 pm

BIPOC UU Tri-County Collaborative: 2nd Thursday of the month - 6 pm

The Citizen’s Climate Lobby Meeting: 2nd Saturday of the month - 9 am

Chalice Climate Action Team Meeting: 4th Sunday of the Month -12:30 pm

Community Forum Team Meeting: 4th Monday of the month

Friday December 30

7:30pm Movie Group 1 (zoom)

Saturday, December 31

7:30am AA Meeting

Sunday, January 1, 2023

10:00am Chalice Worship Service (Zoom 2) online only no in person

5:00pm Newcomer AA Meeting

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

5:30pm COSM (Zoom2)

7:00pm Chalice Circle Facilitator's Meeting (Zoom)

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

6:00pm Site Visioning meeting (zoom2)

6:00pm Overeaters Anonymous

7:00pm Council Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Choir Rehearsal

7:30pm Meditation (zoomMH)

Thursday, January 5, 2023

10:30am Jonquil Women's Group (zoom)

5:00pm Community Life Meeting (zoom2)

6:30pm Stewardship Meeting (zoom2)

7:00pm Book Club: My Grandmother's Hands (zoom2)

Other ways to get involved or stay connected:

Or reach out to us here:

Chalice Office # (805) 498-9548 - Messages will be checked regularly.

Rev. Nica Eaton-Guinn, Minister, is on Sabbatical until May