*Important* Early Morning Noise

Luke Barratt

May 13, 2024, 6:43:12 PMMay 13
to CUCBC Captains, CUCBC Coxes
Dear Captains and Coxes,

Please forward to your coaches.

As the mornings become lighter, it's worth a reminder the limitations on noise before 7.30am above the Railway Bridge. Coxing calls should be kept to the essential minimum, and there should be no coaching from the bank. In particular, as you pass the Railway Bridge going upstream (either spinning at the P&E or heading back to BH), please do check whether it's before 7.30am, as it is easy to forget the restrictions heading the other way.

Early morning noise remains the greatest existential threat to College rowing, and it is disrespectful to the houseboat residents. Please be considerate of all around in the mornings.

We will continue fining Clubs found in breach of these rules, which lead to non-financial penalties, up to and including a Bumps ban.

Best wishes,
CUCBC Committee

David O'Loughlin

May 17, 2024, 5:04:50 AMMay 17
to CUCBC Captains, CUCBC Coxes, boa...@cucbc.org

Dear Captains and Coxes,

Captains – we expect this message to be forward to all coaches and all coxes.

This morning, CUCBC audited early morning crews and found 80% to be in breach of early morning noise restrictions regarding coxing and coaching from the bank upstream of the railway bridge (both directions) before 07:30.

Penalties are being issued to offending crews. CUCBC will not tolerate further breaches of these regulations and are prepared to exercise the full scope of our disciplinary measures.

We are lucky to have a wonderful environment to train in, but it is one we share and as per our earlier email, early morning noise remains the greatest threat to continued College rowing. The City and District councils have the power to prevent rowing training if noise complaints continue.

Very best,

David

David O’Loughlin

CUCBC Honorary Secretary

On behalf of the Cambridge University Combined Boat Clubs Committees