Fwd: Introduction to Coaching sessions

Conor Burgess

Jan 25, 2024, 7:30:56 PMJan 25
to capt...@cucbc.org, Tom Copeland
Please see below from Tom, and pass on to any LBCs and new coaches who may be interested.

Thanks,
Conor

From: Tom Copeland <tjhco...@googlemail.com>
Subject: Introduction to Coaching sessions
Date: 25 January 2024 at 22:02:21 GMT

Dear Captains,

Before the pandemic I used to run an annual 'Introduction to Coaching' course for LBCs and new coaches. Courses were well received and focussed on areas including:
  • Effective technical coaching
  • Structuring sessions to promote progress
  • Coaching coxes
  • Creating & executing race plans
  • Rigging and boat set-up
  • Nutrition & recovery
Coaches who took part were positive and fed back that they felt greater self-confidence and belief that they were doing the right things at the right times with their crews.

I am planning on running two two-hour sessions on the evenings of the 5th and 12th February from 19:00-21:00 alongside Chris Radbone. If you and your coaches are interested in joining us, places at these sessions can be booked via the links below. We are limiting each workshop to 20 people, and places will cost £10 per person, per evening.

We will be sharing tips and tools you can use immediately with your crews to deliver better sessions and better results that we've developed over years of coaching crews at the top-end of UK club rowing.

We hope that you and your coaches will be able to join us for these sessions, and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tom Copeland

A little bit about myself and Chris
I am the Head Coach of the Cantabs Women's squad, have 20 years coaching experience, am a Level 3 qualified British Rowing coach, a British Rowing 'Coach of the Year' prize winner, and am a recent graduate of the GB Rowing Team's Performance Coach Development Programme. My crews have wins at Henley Women's Regatta, Women's Eights Head, Fours Head, Pairs Head, Scullers Head, Metropolitan regatta, Wallingford regatta, Ghent regatta, National Schools and National Championships. I've helped athletes to go on to win seats in CUBC Blue Boats, Blondie and lightweight crews. My crews have won seven bumps headships and currently occupy 4 of the top 7 spots in Division 1 of the Town Bumps.

Chris Radbone started his coaching career at university in Cardiff in 2017, upon graduating he returned to Cambridge to aid Tom with the Cantabs Women’s squad in 2018 where he acquired his Level 2 British Rowing qualification as well as Level 3 S&C and Sports Nutrition qualifications. In recent years, Chris has become well known within the Cambridge rowing scene and over the last couple of years has coached at multiple colleges and clubs around the city. In that time he coached college crews to Lent and May Blades and club crews to various wins in Senior and Master categories at both local and national level. He is a British Rowing 'Rising Star' prize winner. Most notably, in the 2022-23 season he coached Will Young to a clean sweep of Championship events at the Wallingford, Metropolitan & Marlow regattas, followed by a run to the semi-finals of the Diamond Challenge Sculls at Henley Royal Regatta.