Chooser Beta Questions

1 view

Yuanxiao Xu

Dec 2, 2022, 2:25:38 PM12/2/22
to licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Hello CC Friends,

I have drafted some questions for the Beta License Chooser, to replace its current placeholder questions on the bottom of the page under the heading "CONFUSED? NEED HELP?".

Could you take a look at the updated questions and answers and let us know what you think? We are most interested in hearing what you think are the most common/important questions we could answer for users who are new to CC. You can comment in the Google doc or reply to this email directly with your advice.

I would also love to keep the list of questions as short as possible so that it does not overwhelm our new users.

Thank you for your time and help!
Yuanxiao

Pedro de Perdigão Lana

Dec 3, 2022, 9:00:37 AM12/3/22
to Yuanxiao Xu, licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Dear Yuanxiao,

Since this is probably the main tool in CC's website for lay users, I think this may be an opportunity to let them know more about what "commercial uses" mean, as well as other fundamental concepts (remix/adapt etc). Maybe providing an hyperlink in possibly ambiguous words within the question, leading to the FAQ section where the term is explained and detailed.

Cordially,

Pedro de Perdigão Lana

Yuanxiao Xu

Dec 5, 2022, 5:01:19 PM12/5/22
to Pedro de Perdigão Lana, licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Dear Pedro,

Thank you for the feedback! Currently (see screenshot below), under the NC option, there's a sentence explaining "Noncommercial means not primarily intended for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation." Do you think we should do something similar with ND? Or do you think we need an even more detailed explanation, such as the one in our FAQ? One potential concern is that including hyperlinks in the Chooser itself may be disruptive for user experience. I'll consult with CC IT staff to see if there are any good options for including extra info for key terms.

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 1.52.51 PM.png

Yuanxiao