Good examples of copyright trolling with CC licenses?

Kat Walsh

May 2, 2022, 9:18:41 PM5/2/22
to licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Most of you are aware of the issues with copyright trolling using CC
licenses--notably in recent times, someone has targeted Cory Doctorow:

https://doctorow.medium.com/a-bug-in-early-creative-commons-licenses-has-enabled-a-new-breed-of-superpredator-5f6360713299

CC is looking for good examples of other reusers who have been
targeted in this way--the more outrageous an example, the better.
(That is, a case where anyone reasonable looking at it would believe
the reuser complied with all license conditions but they were targeted
by a copyright troll anyway.) We're continuing to work on resources
for licensors and licensees, and on possible ways to combat trolling,
and your examples will help!

(And in case you haven't seen our current resources on trolling and CC
license enforcement, here's where to see them:
https://creativecommons.org/license-enforcement/ )

Thanks,
Kat

Jeni Tennison

Jul 27, 2022, 12:37:35 PM7/27/22
to Kat Walsh, licenses-m...@creativecommons.org, u...@therestartproject.org
Hi Kat,

I don't know if you're still looking for examples, but Ugo Vallauri (CC'd) has just been hit by this with Pixsy. I'll leave you to follow up if you want more details, but it unfortunately is a case where there was a lack of attribution on the relevant photo so perhaps doesn't meet your need for outrageous examples.

Jeni

Kat Walsh

Jul 27, 2022, 6:12:16 PM7/27/22
to Jeni Tennison, licenses-m...@creativecommons.org, u...@therestartproject.org
I am still looking for more examples; thanks for connecting us!

Ugo, I'm sorry this is happening; if you'd like to follow up with more details and links to what happened and what you're getting targeted for, send me a message off thread and we can talk about it!

-Kat