(Final circulation) the notice for older licenses

Yuanxiao Xu

Aug 9, 2022, 7:42:57 PM8/9/22
to licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Hello!

Thank you for all your input on the notice that will appear on top of our older licenses. Here's the language we would like to use:

This is an older version of [hyperlink to corresponding CC 4.0 license]. Compared to the [CC 1.0/2.0/3.0] licenses, CC 4.0 licenses are more user-friendly and more internationally robust. If you are licensing your own work, we strongly recommend the use of [hyperlink to corresponding CC 4.0 license] instead.

Some of you suggested phrasing the notice so that it speaks directly to licensors (e.g., leading with a question like "are you licensing your own work"). However, others have pointed out that only users are likely to land on an older license page, via sites like Flickr. We included the last sentence so that these users will hopefully use the 4.0 licenses if they license their own works one day.

Another question was whether to include the notice only on the deed page. Because people link directly to the legal code page sometimes, we have decided to include the notice on the legal code page as well. We are going to use a callout box to distinguish the notice from the code language in order to avoid presenting the notice as if it is a part of the legal code.

Please let us know if you have any final thoughts before we publish the notice. You can leave comments here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O2KYFItzOX0dt_QWR1fJZT5xVPyRE2oFooydkei7wvo/
Yuanxiao