CC Licenses (Plus) and NFTs

Pedro de Perdigão Lana

Mar 23, 2022, 1:44:04 PM3/23/22
to licenses-m...@creativecommons.org
Hi everyone,

A friend recently sent me something interesting: there are people associating CC Licenses Plus with other more permissive CC licenses, based on NFT ownership:

I don't believe, at least at first sight, that there's something there which would go against CC legal texts or recommendations. Although I'm not really fond of NFTs, this seems to have a positive potential. However, for some reason, the concept seems strange to me, and there's a red flashing light at the back of my mind telling me that there is a fundamental flaw in this idea.

I'd like to hear from you. It also would be interesting to hear if you support the idea, think it's legally consistent but morally or teleologically (considering CC ideals) inadequate, or an incompatible usage of these legal/cultural tools?

Cordially,

Pedro de Perdigão Lana
Professor @ ISULPAR, IP Lawyer and Researcher @ GEDAI/UFPR
Board member @ CC Brasil and ISOC BR