Fwd: October Events for Members and More

Jeanine Swick

Oct 4, 2023, 8:21:04 AM10/4/23
to member...@siweb.costume.org, ICG Cos-Chat, ICG BoD, Northern Lights Costuming Guild mail discussion list

some fashion related exhibits coming up

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: October Events for Members and More
Date: 4 Oct 2023 04:23:32 -0700
From: MFA Membership <membe...@mfa.org>
To: j...@swickfamily.net

 Director’s Message

John Singer Sargent, Madame X (Madame Pierre Gautreau) (detail), 1883–1884. Oil on canvas. Lent by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Arthur Hoppock Hearn Fund, 1916 (16.53). Image © The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

 “Join us this fall to enjoy revelatory new exhibitions and events celebrating culture and creativity. It’s a wonderful opportunity to get acquainted with works that may be new to you and gain fresh perspectives on well-known artists, eras, and styles. We invite you to explore and experience them together at the MFA at upcoming community events.”

Read more from Matthew Teitelbaum, Ann and Graham Gund Director.

 Behind the Scenes

Jean-Philippe Worth, Woman's evening dress (Bodice), about 1895. Silk damask. Gift of Mrs. J. D. Cameron Bradley

 Dress Rehearsal

We’re almost ready for the world premiere of “Fashioned by Sargent,” a one-of-a-kind exhibition that offers a new take on a beloved artist. Our exhibitions, design, conservation, and facilities teams have been hard at work installing paintings, dresses, and accessories in the galleries, overseen by Erica Hirshler, Croll Senior Curator of American Paintings and a leading expert on Sargent. Take a behind-the-scenes peek and plan your visit! Member Preview starts today.

 New Multimedia Tours

Unidentified maker, costume for Carmen Dauset Moreno (Carmencita), about 1890. Silk satin and net, trimmed with silver gilt thread, spangles, and beads. Private Collection.

 MFA Mobile Is Now on Bloomberg Connects!

Free multimedia tours on MFA Mobile provide insights from curators, artists, conservators, and others—amplifying your in-gallery and at-home experience of MFA art. In the new tour for “Fashioned by Sargent,” delve into the details of the artist’s creative practice, from painting style and technique to perspectives on gender and class. Other current tours include deep dives into “Strong Women in Renaissance Italy,” ancient Egyptian and Greek art, and more. Download MFA Mobile on the Bloomberg Connects app today.

 Newly on View

Bobby Jae Kim, Toshiko Takaezu (detail), 1997. Gelatin silver print. Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Liliane and David M. Stewart Collection, gift of Bobby Jae Kim, D97.183.1. Image © Bobby J. Kim.

 Toshiko Takaezu: Shaping Abstraction

Born in Hawaii to immigrant parents from Okinawa, artist Toshiko Takaezu defied societal expectations by boldly pursuing a career in art. She is best known for her ceramic sculptures, which she treated as abstract paintings in the round and often displayed in carefully constructed arrangements.

Challenging traditional presentations of American abstraction popularized by the likes of Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko, this exhibition features innovative paintings, weavings, and pottery by Takaezu that demonstrate the extraordinary range of her work. Don’t miss one of the first exhibitions of its kind to celebrate the contributions of this seminal yet underrecognized artist.

 MFA First Fridays Return

Caitlin Cunningham Photography.

 Unwind at the Museum

Join us on November 3 as we relaunch MFA First Fridays, back by popular demand and free for members! Relax from your week with music, dancing, and a curator-led tour of “Tender Loving Care: Contemporary Art from the Collection” with artists Venetia Dale and Toni Pepe. Signature cocktails and delicious bites will be available for purchase.

 Upcoming Events

 Upcoming Film Screenings

 Collection Highlight

The dynamic and sculptural fabric constructions made by Virginia Jacobs incorporate color and pattern from a range of sources, including Eastern European folk dance and costume, Hungarian lace patterns, Chinese embroidery, and Kabuki theatrical costume from Japan. See the artist’s Celebration (1979), a recent acquisition on view for the first time, in “Tender Loving Care: Contemporary Art from the Collection,” located on the second floor of our Linde Family Wing for Contemporary Art.

See what else is on view >

 Art for This Moment

Sofonisba Anguissola, Self-Portrait (detail), about 1556. Possibly oil on parchment. Charles Potter Kling Fund and Beth Munroe Fund—Bequest of Emma F. Munroe.

By Katy Hessel, art historian, broadcaster, curator, and author of The Story of Art without Men

Dearest Sofonisba,

I don’t know you. We’ll never meet. I live almost 500 years after you, in a world you wouldn’t recognize. I’m in my 20s; you lived until your 90s. You were a painter; I’m a writer. You communicated through images whereas I use words. But somehow I feel as though I know you. Perhaps it’s the self-portraits I’ve seen of yours—you at the easel and with your teacher; in your youth and in your 90s; your gaze meeting mine with those piercing glassy eyes and that strong-willed stance.

Read More >

 MFA Shop

 Art-Inspired Kicks

The magnificence of art and nature combine in our new collaboration with Cariuma. Available in three styles, their latest sneaker line takes inspiration from Hokusai’s Under the Wave off Kanagawa (The Great Wave), an icon of the MFA’s Japanese art collection.

 Seen on @mfaboston

 The Art of the Japanese Garden

Last month, we welcomed renowned landscape architect Shin Abe and a team of volunteers to tend to our Japanese garden, Tenshin-en. A longtime friend of the MFA, Abe led a group of nine alumni from his alma mater, Tokyo University of Agriculture, who traveled to the United States to perform specialized maintenance on two gardens: the Japanese Peace Bell and Garden at the United Nations in New York City and Tenshin-en at the MFA. Abe has a long association with our garden, having studied under its original designer and worked with us on its 2015 renovation.

 Follow us @mfaboston

On December 3, spend an afternoon with acclaimed artist and curator Dyani White Hawk (Sičáŋǧu Lakota) as she discusses her expansive artistic practice, which explores abstraction, contemporary issues, Indigenous languages, and traditional techniques. Tickets for this Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro Celebrity Lecture, which are discounted for members, go on sale October 31.

Sponsors

“Fashioned by Sargent” is sponsored by Bank of America. Generously supported by the Terra Foundation for American Art, and Tom and Bonnie Rosse. Additional support from Lynn Dale and Frank Wisneski, the Barbara M. Eagle Exhibition Fund, the MFA Associates / MFA Senior Associates Exhibition Endowment Fund, the Dr. Lawrence H. and Roberta Cohn Fund for Exhibitions, and the Alexander M. Levine and Dr. Rosemarie D. Bria-Levine Exhibition Fund. “Fashioned by Sargent” is co-organized by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and the Tate Britain, London.

The digital experience MFA Mobile is supported by Bloomberg Philanthropies. The audio of MFA Mobile tours have been optimized with Knisper: software that uses a smart algorithm to improve the clarity of voices for everyone, and particularly for people who are hard of hearing.

Toshiko Takaezu: Shaping Abstraction is supported by the Jean S. and Frederic A. Sharf Exhibition Fund, The Amy and Jonathan Poorvu Fund for the Exhibition of Contemporary Art and Sculpture, and the Eugenie Prendergast Memorial Fund.

The exhibition would not have been possible without the collaboration of the Toshiko Takaezu Foundation and The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum. The Noguchi Museum has organized a major touring retrospective, Toshiko Takaezu: Worlds Within, which will open in New York in March 2024 and will travel nationally through 2026.

Sound Bites is supported by the Nancy Lee Clark Concert Series Fund.

The Ruth and Carl. J. Shapiro Film Program at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, is funded by The Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family Foundation.

The Ruth and Carl J. Shapiro Celebrity Lectures are funded by the Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family Foundation.

Images

John Singer Sargent, Madame X (Madame Pierre Gautreau) (detail), 1883–1884. Oil on canvas. Lent by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Arthur Hoppock Hearn Fund, 1916 (16.53). Image © The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Jean-Philippe Worth, Woman's evening dress (Bodice), about 1895. Silk damask. Gift of Mrs. J. D. Cameron Bradley

Unidentified maker, costume for Carmen Dauset Moreno (Carmencita), about 1890. Silk satin and net, trimmed with silver gilt thread, spangles, and beads. Private Collection.

Bobby Jae Kim, Toshiko Takaezu (detail), 1997. Gelatin silver print. Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Liliane and David M. Stewart Collection, gift of Bobby Jae Kim, D97.183.1. Image © Bobby J. Kim.

Caitlin Cunningham Photography.

Jeppe Hein, "PLEASE...," 2008. Neon tubes and seven transformers (120v). Henry and Lois Foster Contemporary Purchase Fund in loving memory of Hank from Lois and family. Courtesy: the artist, Johann Konig, Berlin and 303 Gallery, New York.

Jan Davidsz. de Heem, ​Interior of a Painter’s Studio, about 1630. Oil on panel. Gift of Rose-Marie and Eijk van Otterloo, in support of the Center for Netherlandish Art.

Photo by Melissa Isabel.

Photography: Foppe Schut; Artwork: Sophie van Boven, Green Room Creatives.

Caitlin Cunningham Photography.

Photo courtesy of Ari Marcopoulos.

Still from The Others (2001), by Alejandro Amenábar.

Still from Mediterranean Fever (2022), by Maha Haj.

 Still from Perfect Blue (1998), by Satoshi Kon.

Virginia Jacobs, Celebration, 1979. Cotton plain weave, pieced, appliqued and quilted; glass beads. Gift of the artist. Reproduced with permission.

Sheila Hicks, Kneeling Stones, about 1990. Wrapped silk and wool threads, metal. Gift of Edward Merrin and Vivian Merrin. © Sheila Hicks

Sofonisba Anguissola, Self-Portrait (detail), about 1556. Possibly oil on parchment. Charles Potter Kling Fund and Beth Munroe Fund—Bequest of Emma F. Munroe.

 Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

465 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115

Privacy PolicyUnsubscribe