Announcing the Unjournal: Impactful Research Prize

Annabel Rayner

Nov 4, 2022, 10:39:25 AM11/4/22
to Network of Open Science Grassroots Networks

Submit your work to be eligible for the “Unjournal: Impactful Research Prize” and a range of other benefits including the opportunity for credible public evaluation and feedback.

Here is a bit of background about the Unjournal:

The "Unjournal" (with funding from the Long Term Future Fund) organizes and funds public journal-independent feedback and evaluation. We will focus on research that is highly relevant to global priorities (especially in economics, social science, and impact evaluation; we aim to expand this widely). We will encourage better research by making it easier for researchers to get feedback and credible ratings on their work.

Prizes:

First prize: $2000

Second prize: $1000

Note: these are the minimum amounts; we will increase these if funding permits.

Prize winners will have the opportunity (but not the obligation) to present their work at an online seminar and prize ceremony co-hosted by The Unjournal, Rethink Priorities, and EAecon. Update 27-11-22: We are arranging the details and additional co-hosts for this).

To be eligible for the prize, please submit a link to your work for public evaluation here

  • Please choose “new submission”, “Submit a URL instead.”

  • That link requires an ORCID ID; if you prefer, you can email your submission to theunj...@gmail.com

If you would like to know more about the Unjournal submissions, please see this link.

We are offering this prize to help identify work for The Unjournal: we aim to publicly evaluate 15 papers (or projects) within our pilot year. This award will honor researchers doing robust, credible, transparent work with a global impact. We especially encourage submission of research in ‘open’ formats such as hosted dynamic documents (Quarto, R-markdown, Jupyter notebooks, etc).

Research will be chosen by our management team for public evaluation (by 2-3 selected paid reviewers), based on an initial assessment of their methodological strength, openness, clarity, relevance to global priorities, and the usefulness of further evaluation and public discussion. We sketch these criteria here.

All evaluations (including quantitative ratings) will be made public by default; however, we will consider ‘embargos’ on this for researchers with sensitive career concerns (the linked form asks about this). Note that submitting your work to the Unjournal does not imply ‘publishing it’: you can submit it to any journal before, during, or after this. If we choose not to send your work out to reviewers, we will try to at least offer some brief private feedback.

All work evaluated by The Unjournal will be eligible for the prize. Engagement with The Unjournal, including responding to evaluator comments, will be a factor in determining the prize winners. We also have a slight preference for giving at least one of the awards to an early-career researcher, but this need not be determinative.

Our management team and advisory board will vote on the prize winners in light of the evaluations, with possible consultation of further external expertise.

Deadline: 20 November (to ensure eligibility)

This page is also available here.

Annabel Rayner

Nov 21, 2022, 3:12:00 PM11/21/22
to Network of Open Science Grassroots Networks, Annabel Rayner
The deadline for this prize has been extended to the 5th December. The prize money for first place has also been increased to $2500.