Future branches strategy

David Moreno Montero

Apr 30, 2016, 6:37:49 AM4/30/16
to onion-dev
Hi,

As asked by Zack, I'm thinking about how to layout the branches for development and such, and I'm not sure. There are several options:

1. A new `next` branch where development happens, only merge in `master` on new releases
2. Development continues in `master`. Create a new branch for `onion-0.8.0` to apply only the relevant patches, create new tag (v0.8.1) when necessary.
3. Continue development in `master`, if a bug appears on a released version, branch from the tag, fix, release a new tag. Merge changes into `master`. This is the same as above, without explicit 0.8 branch.
4. Just develop and make new releases as needed. No backport of fixes.

1. Is more or less what happens in the linux kernel next branch , although not by Linus. Linus does the number 4. Number 2 is what GTK does. I dont know of anybody that does the number 3, but sounds like a lazy version of 2.

So, my vote is for 2, create a branch `onion-0.8.0` and continue development in master. Change the readme to state it is a development branch, normal users may prefer the other branch. But at the same time say that we like continuous integration, and the master branch should be usable always. Mayeb create a `stable` branch that always points to the latest released tag.

What do you guys think?

David.

Zachary Grafton

May 1, 2016, 8:37:37 AM5/1/16
to David Moreno Montero, onion-dev

I think 2 is a viable option and I'm cool with any option, just wanted to clarify before creating pull requests.

Zack

David Moreno Montero

May 2, 2016, 4:56:23 AM5/2/16
to Zachary Grafton, onion-dev
I just created the onion-0-8 for the 0.8 version patches, and merged your first pull request into master.

I will try to make some order into the current branches, and document into the README the branches situation (stable onion-0-8, development master, development should always be usable).

Basile Starynkevitch

May 3, 2016, 12:37:10 PM5/3/16
to onio...@coralbits.com
On 05/02/2016 10:56 AM, David Moreno Montero wrote:
> I just created the onion-0-8 for the 0.8 version patches, and merged
> your first pull request into master.

It looks like the master from git is still installed as an onion 0.7. Is
that expected?

I would imagine it be some onion 0.9pre.... or whatever....

Cheers.

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***

David Moreno Montero

May 4, 2016, 9:43:12 AM5/4/16
to Basile Starynkevitch, onion-dev
Hi,

no, its not expected.. Im reviewing it right now.

Maybe a 0.8.1 will come sooner than expected with some embarrasing fixes (like proper version set).

Next time I will prepare rc to smooth this incidents, and prepare a list of things to check before release.

Regards,
David.

David Moreno Montero

May 4, 2016, 10:02:39 AM5/4/16
to Basile Starynkevitch, onion-dev
Ok, the thing is that github do not create annotated tags, just plain tags. And the git-version-gen required the annotated versions. I changed it for any tag (~ `git describe --tags --match v.*`), and should be working now.

Also before I fixed the debian packaging.

So we have a 0.8.2 at onion-0-8.

I also updated the README stating that development is at master, and stable is onion-0-8.

Regards,
David.