helping external contributions (tips)

basile.sta...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2018, 7:02:15 AM6/9/18
to onion-dev, bas...@starynkevitch.net
Hello David and all,

It would be nice if the wiki (or even some CONTRIBUTING.md file on top of source tree) contained some instructions to help external contributions. In particular:

* the exact steps to pull or rebase the current onion master (on e.g. some old clone of onion I made two years ago). I know you told me a few years ago how to do that, but I lost that email and had to remove my onion fork on my github and recreate it (not a big deal, but a bit annoying).

* the exact indentation style you want me (or other contributors) to use. I even made issue #225 related to that. I cannot setup my emacs editor to indent according to your will (and that gets pretty annoying, since I have to reindent manually every line). If there where some automatic way to reindent C code, it would help me (and other contributors) a lot. BTW, I would prefer onion to switch to GNU indentation style, but that would significantly change all the code, so I leave that decision to you. Feel free to keep the current indentation if you are able to document it, and to provide some way of enforcing it (e.g. a shell script or make target to indent code according to your tastes, etc...)

I also have a question about significant contributions to Onion. I am funded by the H2020 Chariot project. http://chariotproject.eu/  and my work there has even some provision for contributing to outside projects (including Onion and GCC) relevant for my tasks. I can easily contribute small things (e.g. I am working on issue #224 which I hope to solve in a few days at most) but if I wanted to contribute more significantly to Onion (e.g. something needing more than a few days of my work time), I would need to be able to add something (in comments, documentations, or git commit logs) like "this contribution by Basile Starynkevitch to Onion is funded by the European Union, Horizon H2020 programme, CHARIOT project, under Grant Agreement No 780075". Is that ok for you?

(I don't promise to make significant contributions to Onion, but if I do, I need to be able to put such a sentence, and my decision to perhaps contribute to Onion depends on the ability to make such a comment visible; actually, even putting that comments in tiny git commit logs would help me)

BTW, I really think that your template machinery should be documented a bit more, and independently of Django. You should publish a list of directives and have a test case (or examples) for every template language feature.

Best

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes
Bourg La Reine, France

Zachary Grafton

Jun 11, 2018, 7:40:47 AM6/11/18
to onion-dev
Basile,

In the past, I've been able to just checkout the git repository, switch to the master branch, run `git pull origin master` and the checkout the develop branch, and run `git pull origin develop`. That usually grabs the latest version of the repository for me.

Regarding the indentation, I think the majority of the code is indented with tabs. Personally, I prefer using 2 spaces, but I defer all style decisions to David. I know when I use CLion as an IDE, there is an option to match the current file's indentation style. I'm not sure how to set that up in emacs...

I agree with the documentation on the templates, but you aren't restricted to using just the otemplate machinery. I know for a while I was using boostache(https://github.com/cierelabs/boostache) in one of my projects. I also experimented with embedding libclang and using it to compile C++ code on the fly to generate the output. Onion is pretty flexible this way.

Zack Grafton

* the exact indentation style you want me (or other contributors) to use. I even made https://github.com/davidmoreno/onion/issues/225 related to that. I cannot setup my emacs editor to indent according to your will (and that gets pretty annoying, since I have to reindent manually every line). If there where some automatic way to reindent C code, it would help me (and other contributors) a lot. BTW, I would prefer onion to switch to GNU indentation style, but that would significantly change all the code, so I leave that decision to you. Feel free to keep the current indentation if you are able to document it, and to provide some way of enforcing it (e.g. a shell script or make target to indent code according to your tastes, etc...)

I also have a question about significant contributions to Onion. I am funded by the H2020 Chariot project. http://chariotproject.eu/ and my work there has even some provision for contributing to outside projects (including Onion and GCC) relevant for my tasks. I can easily contribute small things (e.g. I am working on https://github.com/davidmoreno/onion/issues/224 which I hope to solve in a few days at most) but if I wanted to contribute more significantly to Onion (e.g. something needing more than a few days of my work time), I would need to be able to add something (in comments, documentations, or git commit logs) like "this contribution by Basile Starynkevitch to Onion is funded by the European Union, Horizon H2020 programme, http://chariotproject.eu/ project, under Grant Agreement No 780075". Is that ok for you?

(I don't promise to make significant contributions to Onion, but if I do, I need to be able to put such a sentence, and my decision to perhaps contribute to Onion depends on the ability to make such a comment visible; actually, even putting that comments in tiny git commit logs would help me)

BTW, I really think that your template machinery should be documented a bit more, and independently of Django. You should publish a list of directives and have a test case (or examples) for every template language feature.

Best

Basile STARYNKEVITCH == http://starynkevitch.net/Basile
opinions are mine only - les opinions sont seulement miennes
Bourg La Reine, France

David Moreno Montero

Jun 11, 2018, 7:47:02 AM6/11/18
to Zachary Grafton, onion-dev
Hi,

I just added a pull request with the indentation of all the source code and a cmake/makefile rule `indent`.

The style is:

* linux style, witht he exceptions of
* indent 2 spaces
* use spaces, not tabs

If you all agree I commit it to master.

I also added a contributing file, already at master.

As you all know I dont have so much time to devote to onion, so all help and suggestions is highly appreciated.

Regards,
David.

On 11 June 2018 at 13:40, Zachary Grafton <zachary...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Zachary Grafton

Jun 11, 2018, 7:50:42 AM6/11/18
to onion-dev
David,

That sounds excellent to me. I haven't had much time to contribute either. My 4 month old daughter and new job haven't really been conducive to contributing to open source projects recently. Did you ever finish up any more work on the poller design? Last time I was able to actively participate, you were working on that in a separate branch.

Zack

[...]

mailto:dmo...@coralbits.com
http://www.coralbits.com/
http://www.coralbits.com

Basile Starynkevitch

Jun 11, 2018, 10:16:56 AM6/11/18
to David Moreno Montero, Zachary Grafton, onion-dev

On 06/11/2018 01:46 PM, David Moreno Montero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just added a pull request with the indentation of all the source
> code and a cmake/makefile rule `indent`.
>
> The style is:
>
> * linux style, witht he exceptions of
> * indent 2 spaces
> * use spaces, not tabs
>
> If you all agree I commit it to master.
>
> I also added a contributing file, already at master.

Of course I agree with that.

Thanks