llvmlite on Fedora 33

Ken Harris

Oct 29, 2020, 3:41:08 PM10/29/20
to numba...@anaconda.com
FYI :

I installed Fedora 33, which uses python 3.9, so I had to reinstall
llvmlite, but "pip install" complains :

RuntimeError: Building llvmlite requires LLVM 10.0.x or 9.0.x, got
'11.0.0'. Be sure to set LLVM_CONFIG to the right executable path.

... so I installed LLVM 10 :

dnf install llvm10-devel

... then set LLVM_CONFIG (and CXXFLAGS) :

LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/lib64/llvm10/bin/llvm-config CXXFLAGS=-fPIC pip3
install llvmlite

... and it works !

-K

Valentin Haenel

Oct 30, 2020, 7:12:28 AM10/30/20
to numba...@continuum.io, numba...@anaconda.com
Dear Ken,

I am glad the install worked for you. However, there are two circumstances that may potentially inhibit the correct operation of the Numba stack. I want to give you a heads up about these in case you run into any snags during operation.

a) Even though llvmlite may appear to work with stock/distribution variants of LLVM this is not recommended. The Numba/llvmlite requires a number of patches to be applied to LLVM and you can read more about this here: https://llvmlite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faqs.html#why-static-linking-to-llvm

b) Numba does not at present support Python 3.9, for more information see here: https://github.com/numba/numba/issues/6345

Best wishes,

V-