Availability of diagnostic tools for "numbarized" functions?

1 view

Rafael Suchy

May 29, 2020, 11:26:41 AM5/29/20
to numba...@anaconda.com
Dear all,

currently our research group is running a code (please see https://respy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) that has a high ratio of Numba to Python code. Almost all functions are jitted. However, we have applications at hand that require to speeded up our code further.

The problem: Once the code is converted to jitted functions it is not possible to internally profile those functions (to my best knowledge). Further optimization becomes very arduous since I need to factor out the code, guess the performance bottleneck, and re-write the code accordingly. That is, performance tracking boils down to monitor the time between function calls.

My question: Are there any diagnostic tools available for “numbarized" code parts? Any (web) resource that you have worked with and considered to be helpful is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Rafael

Siu Kwan Lam

May 29, 2020, 2:01:33 PM5/29/20
to Numba Public Discussion - Public, numba...@anaconda.com
Hi Rafeal,

There are no diagnostic tool yet, but there are some ideas and experiments by the core devs. See this issue: https://github.com/numba/numba/issues/5028

Best,
Siu

Philipp Eisenhauer

Jun 4, 2020, 1:39:31 PM6/4/20
to Numba Public Discussion - Public, numba...@anaconda.com
Dear Siu,

Thanks a lot for your swift response ... and the pointer to the interesting discussion around #5028. Best, Philipp