Bugs in Jupyter lab

Russ Abbott

Jun 3, 2021, 12:23:21 PM6/3/21
to Anaconda - Public
I've run into a number of bugs in Jupyter labs. I'm surprised that a system as mature as Jupyter labs would still have such bugs. Here are two that I remember.

1. I got into a situation in which I got error messages saying that the code editor was out of sync. The error message suggested that I open the JavaScript console for instructions. I have no idea how to do that -- and didn't want to get bogged down in finding out. I got around the problem by copying the code from the current code block to a new code block and deleting the old one.

2. Often when I paste into a code or markdown block, the item I paste is duplicated. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen often enough to be annoying. One way to generate the error (at least for me) is to copy a URL from my browser and paste it into a markdown block. Here's an example.

I typed "[test]()" into a Markdown block and then pasted "https://www.anaconda.com/open-source" between the parentheses. I got the following result.

The second copy of "https://www.anaconda.com/open-source" was added by Jupyter.

Russ Abbott

Jun 3, 2021, 12:28:43 PM6/3/21
to Anaconda - Public, Russ Abbott
Another annoying problem, which I guess is not a bug, is that when I execute a block, the next block is automatically selected. If I want to run the same code block multiple times, e.g., with randomly generated elements internally, I must re-click the block I want to run each time before running it.

Russ Abbott

Jun 3, 2021, 12:38:14 PM6/3/21
to Anaconda - Public, Russ Abbott
Yet another irritant is that I see no way to modify my personal settings so that lineNumbers in code blocks will be True by default. Am I missing something here?

Russ Abbott

Jun 3, 2021, 12:46:44 PM6/3/21
to Anaconda - Public, Russ Abbott
Found out how to solve this problem.

Click Settings -> Advanced Settings Editor.

Then copy the Code Cell Configuration from the left pane to the right, with lineNumbers: true.

When I close Jupyter Lab and restart, lineNumbers are on.

Russ Abbott

Jun 3, 2021, 1:29:02 PM6/3/21
to Anaconda - Public, Russ Abbott
I see that Ctrl+Enter will run a cell and not advance. It would be nice to be able to assign that meaning to the Run triangle.