how to recover the conda installation

thistlillo

Mar 23, 2021, 12:40:51 AM3/23/21
to Anaconda - Public
All of a sudden the command:
conda remove --name myenv --all
stopped working: when run, nothing happened, not even a single error message. nothing. It stopped working after I deleted from the envs folder a couple of environments that were not listed by conda env list.

Luckily, the conda navigator still works and I was able to delete what I needed to (this seems weird: doesn't the GUI use conda?).

I am using conda 4.9.2 on Windows 10 Pro, installed via miniconda.

When trying to understand how to recover my installation, I landed on:

where I read:

Change your original installer’s name so you do not overwrite it:

move Anaconda Anaconda_old

Run the Anaconda.exe installer as usual and use robocopy to sync the directories:

I could not understand what the original installer is:

  • was I supposed to keep the installer when I first installed miniconda? What is that original installer?
However, I installed miniconda, not conda, and I did not keep the installer. Is there any way I can reset my conda installation without loosing all of the environments?