fresh install permission error

Kristian Unger

Apr 29, 2021, 9:54:55 AM4/29/21
to Anaconda - Public
Hi there,

I am trying to install Conda in my home on a shared centos machine. I do not have root/sudo permissions. When running the miniconda or Anaconda installer via "bash Miniconda3-py39_4.9.2-Linux-x86_64.sh"  the installation process runs fine, however it finishes with the message:

./Miniconda3-py39_4.9.2-Linux-x86_64.sh: line 457: /home/zyto/unger/miniconda3/bin/python: Permission denied

Of course, I can make the installation working by setting the permissions accordingly but then I run into the same problem when creating new environments.

Any directions/solutions?

Best

Kristian

Pete Jemian

Apr 29, 2021, 10:58:18 AM4/29/21
to anac...@continuum.io
From the command line (without using anaconda tools), can you succeed
with this command?

touch /home/zyto/unger/miniconda3/bin/this_is_a_test

If this fails, is it possible you do not have write permissions on this
path?

I routinely install miniconda on systems without root/sudo permissions.
Since the goal is to install everything without need for root
permission, I create a local directory (where I am certain to have write
permissions unless disk space is full) for such software installations.
This command (replace this text: PICK_INSTALLER_VERSION):

mkdir ~/Apps
bash ~/Downloads/Miniconda3-PICK_INSTALLER_VERSION.sh -b -p
~/Apps/miniconda3
> --
> Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/anaconda/8f6c161d-6210-4fb2-b2a5-6630fcd60b93n%40continuum.io
> <https://groups.google.com/a/continuum.io/d/msgid/anaconda/8f6c161d-6210-4fb2-b2a5-6630fcd60b93n%40continuum.io?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Kristian Unger

Apr 29, 2021, 2:56:20 PM4/29/21
to Anaconda - Public, prje...@gmail.com
Thank you very much!

I tried your approach and built the folder Apps followed by chmod -R 777 ~/Apps. The installation routine than gave me:

Miniconda3-py39_4.9.2-Linux-x86_64.sh: line 457: /home/zyto/unger/Apps/miniconda3/bin/python: Permission denied

I can do

touch /home/zyto/unger/Apps/miniconda3/bin/test

However

ls -lh /home/zyto/unger/Apps/miniconda3/bin/python

results in

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 unger OG-ZYTO-User 9 Apr 29 20:45 /home/zyto/unger/Apps/miniconda3/bin/python -> python3.9

so the symbolic link generated might be problem...

Any ideas?

Pete Jemian

Apr 29, 2021, 3:16:28 PM4/29/21
to Kristian Unger, Anaconda - Public
<caution>Approaching the limit of what I understand.</caution>

I'm suspecting that somehow, the Miniconda install shell script is
setting a directory permission that blocks you from writing. Seems
unusual from my experience, though.

What is the value returned from the command?

umask

Mine is 0002 which means files I create will be read-only by other
accounts (not writable, not executable). The root cause is that one or
more *directories* are being set with this permission, or set to be
owned by the wrong group or owner. Both of these latter two are highly
improbable but just mention them here for some completeness.

Hope that helps.