CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED

Adam Martin

Feb 9, 2019, 10:51:24 AM2/9/19
to Anaconda - Public
Keep getting this error when I try to update conda or create an environment using conda create -name py35 python=3.5.

C:\Users\atm50>conda update conda
Solving environment: failed

CondaHTTPError: HTTP 000 CONNECTION FAILED for url <https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/noarch/repodata.json.bz2>
Elapsed: -

An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.
HTTP errors are often intermittent, and a simple retry will get you on your way.

If your current network has https://www.anaconda.com blocked, please file
a support request with your network engineering team.

SSLError(MaxRetryError('HTTPSConnectionPool(host=\'repo.anaconda.com\', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pkgs/r/noarch/repodata.json.bz2 (Caused by SSLError("Can\'t connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available."))'))

---------------
Ive tried:
Uninstall/reinstall of anaconda (both 64 and 32 bit)
Tried using miniconda
conda config --set ssl_verify false
I don't have a proxy setup

Here is the conda info for my machine:

     active environment : None
       user config file : C:\Users\atm50\.condarc
 populated config files :
          conda version : 4.5.12
    conda-build version : 3.17.6
         python version : 3.7.1.final.0
       base environment : C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3  (read only)
           channel URLs : https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/win-64
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/noarch
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/free/win-64
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/free/noarch
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/win-64
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/noarch
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/pro/win-64
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/pro/noarch
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/msys2/win-64
                          https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/msys2/noarch
          package cache : C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\pkgs
                          C:\Users\atm50\AppData\Local\conda\conda\pkgs
       envs directories : C:\Users\atm50\AppData\Local\conda\conda\envs
                          C:\ProgramData\Anaconda3\envs
                          C:\Users\atm50\.conda\envs
               platform : win-64
             user-agent : conda/4.5.12 requests/2.21.0 CPython/3.7.1 Windows/10 Windows/10.0.17763
          administrator : False
             netrc file : None
           offline mode : False

I'm truly at the end of my troubleshooting capability and need some help. Anaconda is completely unusable as I get the HTTP every time.

Fabien Tarrade

Feb 9, 2019, 11:02:50 AM2/9/19
to anac...@continuum.io, Adam Martin

Hi Adam,

maybe some of the trick here can help:
https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/6064

My 2 cents
Cheers
Fabien

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

Senior Data Scientist at AXA

I am a senior Data Scientist at AXA with the mission of helping AXA becoming a data driven organisation by using advanced analytics and Big Data.
I have over 10 years of experience in management of large projects, processing, modelling and statistical treatment of large volume of experimental data
up to 10 petabytes as well as the development and maintenance of advanced and complex computer programs.

Zurich, Switzerland

LinkedIn Twitter Google Facebook Google Xing

Jeff Cave

Feb 9, 2019, 11:10:28 AM2/9/19
to anac...@continuum.io
This is (likely) not an issue with Anaconda, but rather your computer network.

In my experience, HTTP 000 is generally associated with a timeout. My experience with Anaconda revolves almost complete around using it on unreliable networks.

Network timeouts can have a number of simple causes

* Did you unplug your network cable?
* Did you forget to to turn off airplane mode? (this one gets me a lot)
* being out in a rural area (rural connections tend to be of poorer quality)

They can also have a lot of complex causes

* anti-virus software scanning traffic on the corporate network
* failed proxy servers
* blocked ports

- Jeff Cave

Michael Sarahan

Feb 9, 2019, 12:39:34 PM2/9/19
to anac...@continuum.io
No, sadly, this one really is a problem with DLL loading on Windows.  It's taking us a long time to dig into it.

At this point, we think it has to do with the wrong .pyd or .dll files getting loaded, specifically when environments other than "base" are activated, or when people are not activating their base environment (most often the case with IDE's).  If you use Anaconda Prompt, things should work.  We're also trying to make Python itself be smarter about where it looks for DLL's.

If you can get conda working at all, you should try updating to one of the python builds on the c3i_test2 channel:

conda update -c c3i_test2 python

That has a search path modification that's more likely to work, but we're still testing it.

Adam Martin

Feb 9, 2019, 4:51:43 PM2/9/19
to Anaconda - Public
This is actually occurring with the command prompt and anaconda prompt. Ive tried to run the suggested conda update -c c3i_test2 python in both cmd and anaconda prompt and get the same error. Would it be helpful to try an older version of conda?

Cristina Gil

Apr 1, 2021, 11:27:31 AM4/1/21
to Anaconda - Public, atm...@gmail.com
I have the same problem installing an old version of Anaconda. I dont know the solution yet. Sorry.