How to recover the previous state of an external hard drive

Horacio Botti

Jul 12, 2021, 9:40:46 PM7/12/21
to Anaconda - Public
Dear all, sorry for this beginner Q:

I had used Anaconda to create a booting drive for Fedora 34 workstation installation and used by mistake a hard drive already in use with relevant data I now need to recover. Is there a way to undo changes on the disk made by Anaconda?

Thanks in advance

Horacio

garcol euphrates

Jul 12, 2021, 11:32:24 PM7/12/21
to anac...@continuum.io
Horacio -

I feel for you, but unless you have a backup, you have pretty much lost it.
There are independent labs which can recover data, but this is not guaranteed, and it is not cheap.
Unless you have critical data you want to recover, I'd recommend format and re-write.
There are recovery tools you can attempt to use, and get back some or most of your files. You will need to re-create the bootable partition, as just "recovering" it may leave hidden errors which will only show up after use, and get worse..
Search for bootable disk recovery tools -- some offer free trials (usually restoring only a portion of the contents).
Good luck!

geuphrates

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

Horacio Botti

Jul 13, 2021, 7:21:23 AM7/13/21
to anac...@continuum.io
Thanks geuphrates!

Using Disk Drill software on windows (looks it is working), I will also try other options in linux if necessary. I think Anaconda could warn the user on files in the disk, as I remember (I may be wrong) the only warning during operation was "the size is too big, shrinkage will occur, but the disk can be returned to the previous state".

Best

Horacio Botti
MD PhD
Prof. Adj. de Biofísica
Laboratorio de Biofísica Integrativa (L@BI), Departamento de Biofísica, Facultad de Medicina;
Centro de Investigaciones Biomédicas (CEINBIO), Espacio Interdisciplinario;
Universidad de la República (Uruguay)

hbotti...@gmail.com
Avda. General Flores 2125, 11800, Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay.
Tel +59829243414 ext 3604

Libre de virus. www.avast.com