Problem running library scripts with Anaconda on Windows

Graeme Cairns

Mar 22, 2021, 2:45:02 PM3/22/21
to Anaconda - Public

I’m running Anaconda/Python on both Mac and Win10.  A few days ago I installed (using pip) some specialized libraries in a separate conda env for a data processing workshop tutorial. These include both binary executables and scripts. On Mac they install to

anaconda3/envs/(env_name)/bin

The windows version installs to:

Anaconda3\envs\(env_name)\Scripts

I run the tutorial in a data directory. On Mac everything runs fine, but when I try to repeat the workflow from the Anaconda Prompt under Win10 it will run the binaries but can’t find the Python scripts that are in the same directory.

I can run the scripts if I cd to the directory where they’re stored, or if I copy them to my processing directory, but that seems very clumsy. Is there a way to make the scripts available the same way as the exe’s? Is this related to some sort of path setting or to a configuration of the installer?

Out of frustration, I wound up installing WSL/Ubuntu and everything runs fine in that environment, as on the Mac, but I’d like to get the Win10 problem sorted as there are other users of these libraries who could be affected. Thanks.