How do you change folders in Jupyter Lab?

Ben Crain

Apr 29, 2021, 9:01:09 AM4/29/21
to Anaconda - Public
Just beginning with Jupyter Lab and Python.  Frustrated that I can't find a way to do this:
I open Jupyter Lab via "launch" in Anaconda.  The left panel shows lots of files. BUT: It doesn't show where they are!  Where, on my PC (Windows 10)?  Finally found them, embedded deeply in a folder (Users...) I never access, would never save anything there.  Can't find a way to move to a folder where I do want to create/save files. Never seen a program that won't let you save stuff wherever you want!  Aw, but there's a work-around: the Deitel book (Intro to Python) says to use the terminal (command prompt), change to the folder where you want to find/save files, then open JupyterLab from within the terminal. Ok, that works.  But it's a convoluted way of getting there. And what if you then want to switch to a different folder?  Gotta shut everything down, go back to the terminal and start over??
OK, there must be a simple way to do this (change folders, save to different folders without invoking terminal), and, if there is, I'll feel stupid I couldn't find it.  If there isn't I'll seriously consider abandoning JupyterLab/Notebook forever!