miniconda latest is 4.8.3 but it warns that the latest conda is 4.9.0?

1 view

Jason S

Oct 21, 2020, 1:12:00 PM10/21/20
to Anaconda - Public
I am trying to reach a stable platform for a legacy Python 2.7 application, and I'm having a terrible time using recent versions of Anaconda or Miniconda to get the required packages.

I have just started over with Miniconda 4.8.3 (specifically Miniconda2-py27_4.8.3-Windows-x86_64.exe) and with a simple test package (beautifulsoup4) it takes several minutes to figure out its bearings and warn me that conda 4.9.0 exists. (see below)

Is there a miniconda installer that comes with 4.9.0?

--Jason

> conda install -c conda-forge beautifulsoup4
Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: done

==> WARNING: A newer version of conda exists. <==
  current version: 4.8.3
  latest version: 4.9.0

Please update conda by running

    $ conda update -n base -c defaults conda

Jason S

Oct 21, 2020, 1:13:40 PM10/21/20
to Anaconda - Public, Jason S
UGH!!! I just upgraded to conda 4.9.0 and now that I try again to install beautifulsoup4 I get this nonsense with an empty prompt that asks me [y/N]:

>conda install -c conda-forge beautifulsoup4
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\app\python\anaconda\2\lib\site-packages\conda\gateways\logging.py", line 134, in emit
    stream.write(ufs % msg)
LookupError: unknown encoding: cp65001
Logged from file exceptions.py, line 1088
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\app\python\anaconda\2\lib\site-packages\conda\gateways\logging.py", line 134, in emit
    stream.write(ufs % msg)
LookupError: unknown encoding: cp65001
Logged from file exceptions.py, line 1088
[y/N]

cs...@anaconda.com

Oct 22, 2020, 12:27:53 PM10/22/20
to Anaconda - Public, Jason S
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations.  Is there any reason you are installing beautifulsoup4 from conda-forge instead of defaults?  It will take longer, as there are many more packages available in conda-forge - so the file conda uses to determine what all needs to install is much larger.
Python 2.7 hit EOL at the beginning of Jan 2020.  Anaconda no longer builds new Python 2.7 packages - or installers for Python 2.7.  The last Python 2.7 installer release picked up the last release of Python 2.7 (Miniconda2-py27_4.8.3-Windows-x86_64.exe).   This was released in June 2020.
The recommended approach for your situation, would be to install the latest Miniconda3 Windows installer (Miniconda3-latest-Windows-x86_64.exe) - and then create a new environment for Python 2.7 with the packages you want in it.  https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/tasks/switch-environment/  This is particularly important in your case, as Python 2.7 is legacy, and your Python 2.7 environment for your legacy app shouldn't need to add in the complication of having conda itself installed in that environment.  conda v4.9.0 was just released in the last week.  There will be new Miniconda installers in the near future - but that should not hold you up.

Hope this helps,
Crystal

Alex S.

Oct 22, 2020, 3:53:12 PM10/22/20
to anac...@continuum.io
Hello team members, I am experimenting this error after several months doing great with anaconda-navigator

# anaconda-navigator
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/root/anaconda3/bin/anaconda-navigator", line 7, in <module>
    from anaconda_navigator.app.main import main
  File "/root/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/app/main.py", line 22, in <module>
    from anaconda_navigator.utils.conda import is_conda_available
  File "/root/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/anaconda_navigator/utils/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from qtpy.QtGui import QIcon
  File "/root/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/qtpy/QtGui.py", line 21, in <module>
    from PyQt5.QtGui import *
ValueError: PyCapsule_GetPointer called with incorrect name

Any idea?
A. Senges
--
Just a human among others in the Uncanny valley.

--
Community Discussion Forum for Anaconda
---

sree datta

Oct 22, 2020, 4:04:46 PM10/22/20
to Anaconda - Public, aseng...@gmail.com
Chech your Anaconda Navigator version at prompt:

(base) $ anaconda-navigator --version

you may need to update to the latest version with

(base) $ conda update anaconda-navigator

then then test if the error goes away. If it does not see if you can run all packages (only if it is okay for your Python to be upgraded to 3.8.5 - if you are using it for tensorflow, then you cannot upgrade to 3.8.5)

(base) $ conda update --all        # only if it does not break your current set-up

Jason S

Oct 22, 2020, 7:02:08 PM10/22/20
to Anaconda - Public, aseng...@gmail.com
Please start a separate topic if you have an unrelated question.

Ray Donnelly

Oct 22, 2020, 7:49:40 PM10/22/20
to Anaconda - Public
conda and miniconda follow different release schedules. That is all you are experiencing.