several commands fail with "no OSAXHandlers entry" error

al.roe...@gmail.com

May 25, 2017, 5:32:50 PM5/25/17
to Anaconda - Public
I just updated to OSX 12.5. Typing command "Jupyter notebook" now gives error

osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Users/axl/Library/ScriptingAdditions/YouHelper.osax" cannot be used with the current OS because it has no OSAXHandlers entry in its Info.plist.
0:42: execution error: "http://localhost:8888/tree" doesn’t understand the “open location” message. (-1708)

Same error when launching from navigator GUI.

"Spyder" works fine; "Jupyter qtconsole" is ok.

Also get weird errors trying "anaconda-navigator", and "conda -h" from command line.

in case it was related, but that doesn't help

Ian Stokes Rees

May 25, 2017, 11:50:19 PM5/25/17
to anac...@continuum.io

On 5/25/17 5:32 PM, al.roe...@gmail.com wrote:
I just updated to OSX 12.5. Typing command "Jupyter notebook" now gives error

osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Users/axl/Library/ScriptingAdditions/YouHelper.osax" cannot be used with the current OS because it has no OSAXHandlers entry in its Info.plist.
0:42: execution error: "http://localhost:8888/tree" doesn’t understand the “open location” message. (-1708)

in case it was related, but that doesn't help

I can't spot the pattern for why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but cut-and-paste of the URL into your favorite browser should always work.  This has been identified as a bug in macOS that Apple needs to address.  Anything else is a workaround.  It isn't Python, Jupyter, or Anaconda's fault.

al.roe...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 5:01:05 AM5/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
ahh.. I see. The Jupyter process is running, so I just put the "localhost" address into the browser. Many thanks.

This solves the Jupyter problem, which was worry number one. But conda commands don't work either. For example "conda info" results in

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/bin/conda", line 6, in <module>
    sys.exit(conda.cli.main())
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/cli/main.py", line 161, in main
    from ..exceptions import conda_exception_handler
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/exceptions.py", line 11, in <module>
    from ._vendor.auxlib.entity import EntityEncoder
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/_vendor/auxlib/__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .logz import getLogger, NullHandler
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/_vendor/auxlib/logz.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .compat import text_type
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/_vendor/auxlib/compat.py", line 7, in <module>
    from ._vendor.five import WhateverIO as StringIO, with_metaclass
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/conda/_vendor/auxlib/_vendor/five.py", line 80, in <module>
    absolute_to_nanoseconds = CoreServices.AbsoluteToNanoseconds
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 375, in __getattr__
    func = self.__getitem__(name)
  File "/Users/axl/anaconda/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 380, in __getitem__
    func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, AbsoluteToNanoseconds): symbol not found

I realise they are not necessarily connected.. just started with the same update

Ian Stokes Rees

May 26, 2017, 9:34:53 AM5/26/17
to anac...@continuum.io

On 5/26/17 5:01 AM, al.roe...@gmail.com wrote:
ahh.. I see. The Jupyter process is running, so I just put the "localhost" address into the browser. Many thanks.

This solves the Jupyter problem, which was worry number one. But conda commands don't work either. For example "conda info" results in

Yeah, that is super weird.  I've never seen that before.  I'd suggest two courses of action:

1. report it as an issue to https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/new

2. from the CLI execute `conda update conda` and if that fails then try `conda install -f conda`,

And try again and see what happens.  I don't know what that ctypes error is -- it's standard library, so I'm not super confident that this will fix things for you.  You could try this:

3. `conda install -f python=2.7`

Ian
--
Anaconda Community Support Group Brought to you by Continuum Analytics
---

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist
1.617.942.0218
ijst...@continuum.io
@ContinuumIO @ijstokes

Anaconda Powered By Continuum Analytics

al.roe...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 10:11:33 AM5/26/17
to Anaconda - Public
OK, I tried all three of those commands and the same errors came back... I will report as you suggest

mingming ding

Nov 15, 2020, 7:40:24 AM11/15/20
to Anaconda - Public, al.roe...@gmail.com
hi al.roe,
did you fix this issue? would you share somthing? Thanks.