Numba 0.33 RC1 available on the numba channel

Stanley Seibert

May 2, 2017, 10:29:50 PM5/2/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi Numba Users,

We have a release candidate of Numba 0.33 available in the numba channel on Anaconda Cloud.  This release has a number of improvements, but the biggest is a series of changes to eliminate reference counting from nopython mode in more situations when it is not needed.  This should result in some large speedups for functions that involve nested calls to other functions and various complex control flow patterns.

Please try out the release candidate and let us know (either on Github or the mailing list) if you notice any issues.  We're especially curious if multithreaded applications see a performance boost.

You can install the release candidate with conda:

   conda update -c numba numba

You can downgrade back to the official release with "conda install numba=0.32".

Due to the upcoming GPU Technology Conference, this release will have a compressed release candidate schedule, and we'll be tagging the final release at the end of the day on Friday, May 5.

(BTW, Siu and I will be teaching a "Numba for NVIDIA GPUs" tutorial at the conference, so if any Numba users are going to be at GTC, let us know and we can meet up!)

Chris Uchytil

May 2, 2017, 10:38:01 PM5/2/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hey Stanley,

I won't be going, but the head of the lab I work for will be going to GTC (https://gputechconf2017.smarteventscloud.com/connect/search.ww#loadSearch-searchPhrase=Duane&searchType=session&tc=0&sortBy=titleSort&p=). The first couple of demo videos of his talk will show software that uses Numba (and a little interop with OpenGL that Siu helped me with ages ago). Hope you can catch it.

Chris U