Numba 0.33.0 Released (and GPU tutorial notebooks)

Stanley Seibert

May 11, 2017, 12:38:13 AM5/11/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi Numba Users,

This was a short release cycle, so now Numba version 0.33.0 has been released.  As always, you can upgrade with:

conda update numba

or check out the source at:

This version includes several major updates.

CPU target
  • Major improvements to optimization (and removal) of atomic reference counting for arrays.  Affected code should see 2x-10x speed improvements.
CUDA target
  • Device-side random number generation using the xoroshiro128+ generator:
    http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/latest/cuda/random.html
  • CPU @jit functions can now be called from CUDA functions!
  • Support for CUDA IPC to map device arrays from one process into the other
  • Update the CUDA grid size autotuning table used by vectorize/guvectorize to know about compute capability 5.3, 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2 devices.
For full details, check out:

Siu and I also gave a tutorial on Numba for the GPU today at GTC.  The notebooks are available here:

Thanks again for all the feedback and bug reports!  This next release cycle will be a little longer, so we'll aim to get a release candidate out by June 26, and a final release by July 3.

Travis Oliphant

May 11, 2017, 1:10:36 AM5/11/17
to Numba Users
Congrats on another release.   The performance-improvement nuggets are always nice along with the improvements to the CUDA target.

-Travis

Continuum Analytics Banner

Travis Oliphant
President, Chief Data Scientist & Co-Founder
C: 512-826-7480
E: tra...@continuum.io
@ContinuumIO @teoliphant

Anaconda Powered By Continuum Analytics
Follow us on TwitterConnect with us on LinkedInSubscribe to our Youtube channelConnect with us on SlideShare