Plans for supporting OpenCL/SPIR-V?

Hugh Perkins

Jun 27, 2017, 3:56:38 AM6/27/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi,

What plans do you have for supporting OpenCL and/or SPIR-V?

Hugh

(apologies if this is a duplciate; I posted just now, but didnt see the message apepar, then 'join'ed the group, but still wasnt there, so I'm assuming it was dropped, because I hadnt 'join'ed before posting, but I'm not sure on this point?)

Stanley Seibert

Jun 27, 2017, 11:26:28 AM6/27/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi Hugh,

Due to some spam issues in the past, the Numba-users list requires a moderator to approve posts from people who are not subscribed.  Since that's just Siu and I, there can sometimes be a half-day lag in approving posts.  I'll delete the post stuck in moderation.

We don't have any current plans to support OpenCL and SPIR-V.  We did some early work with OpenCL and SPIR had had major problems with both the limitations of the standard and also platform bugs with various vendor's implementations of the SPIR compiler.

That said, we have been in contact with a developer who now has a proof of concept for an OpenCL/SPIR-V Numba backend who should be posting it to their repo in the next few weeks.  I've asked them to announce it on the list when that happens, as I know there are many interested people.

Hugh Perkins

Jun 28, 2017, 7:05:18 AM6/28/17
to numba...@continuum.io
Hi Stanley,

That said, we have been in contact with a developer who now has a proof of concept for an OpenCL/SPIR-V Numba backend who should be posting it to their repo in the next few weeks.

Ah interesting.  I guess I need to find a new project instead then :-)

Hugh

Stanley Seibert

Jun 28, 2017, 9:27:06 AM6/28/17
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Well, I suspect there will still be much to do once the code is made public.  Don't despair yet!  :)