Numba 0.23 Released!

Stanley Seibert

Jan 15, 2016, 6:20:18 PM1/15/16
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi Numba Users,

I'm happy to announce that Numba version 0.23.0 has been released in the usual places:

conda install numba

and
This release includes the usual mix of new features and bug fixes.  Some of the more interesting items include:
  • Very preliminary initial support for JIT classes: http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/0.23.0/user/jitclass.html
  • Support for np.dot() and the Python 3.5 "@" operator on contiguous arrays using the SciPy BLAS
  • A multithreaded CPU target for @guvectorize
  • (Finally!) support for accessing fields in a structured dtype array using the correct getitem syntax: array['field']
  • Inlineable, faster versions of several math functions (ceil, floor, trunc, isfinite, degrees, radians, rint, fabs) in the numpy and/or math modules

The full changelog is here:

http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/0.23.0/release-notes.html#version-0-23-0

I go in-depth on some of these features (especially JIT classes) in a post on the Continuum Developer Blog:

https://www.continuum.io/blog/developer-blog/numba-023-has-been-released

As always, thanks for your feedback!  We may be doing a 0.23.1 release soon to fix a few bugs (including some that were reported in the last 24 hours).  In the 0.24 release, we'll be documenting an API for extending the Numba compiler to work with new types and functions.  This should hopefully make it possible for 3rd parties to add support for new types outside of the Numba code base.  If this interests you, I would encourage you to take a look at NBEP 2:

http://numba.pydata.org/numba-doc/dev/proposals/extension-points.html

Nuno Calaim

Jan 16, 2016, 7:18:39 AM1/16/16
to numba...@continuum.io
WOW!!!! support of np.dot() was much awaited here!! Thank you!!!