Numba 0.38 release candidate

Stanley Seibert

Apr 14, 2018, 10:01:26 AM4/14/18
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi Numba users,

We have tagged and built conda packages for the Numba 0.38 release candidate.  You can try it out with:

conda install -c numba numba=0.38.0rc1

This release has many changes, but one of the larger ones is the upgrade to LLVM 6.0, which has improved autovectorization in some cases.  We've also included patches from Intel that will take advantage of SVML (if present in your environment) for vectorizing special math functions in loops, and have been working on improving the readability of compiler error messages.  We also have a new documentation page on performance tips:

With this release candidate, we are specifically looking for feedback on:
  • Does Numba 0.38rc1 break any code that worked with 0.37?
  • Are you seeing any performance improvements (possibly due to the LLVM 6 upgrade)?
  • Does your code work (and is it faster) with SVML present?  (Install with "conda install -c numba icc_rt")
  • What do you think about the new compiler error messages?  (They are in color if you have the colorama package installed.)
If you have any feedback on the release candidate, please open an issue on the issue tracker:

We'll have a slightly longer release candidate testing period this round, but if all goes well, we'll tag and build final conda packages and wheels on April 23.