Switching to LLVM 3.7

Antoine Pitrou

Jan 28, 2016, 4:43:49 AM1/28/16
to numba...@continuum.io

Hello,

We have just migrated the Numba and llvmlite repositories to use LLVM
3.7, rather than LLVM 3.6. We would welcome testing and any reports of
changes or regressions. As usual you can fetch our binaries from the
Anaconda "numba" channel.

Regards

Antoine.

Matthieu Dartiailh

Jan 29, 2016, 12:09:09 PM1/29/16
to numba...@continuum.io
Hello,

I am trying to use the development version of llvmlite on a Manjaro VM
(Arch Linux based). I install llvmlite using conda in an env created
using conda create -n numba scipy.
When installing the stable version in a fresh env I have no issue. When
installing the development version from the numba channel in a fresh env
I get the following error when trying to import llvmlite.binding :

OSError : libllvmlite.so : cannot open shared object file : no such file
or directory

One workaround (I already forgot how I found it) is to install ncurses
and softlink libncursesw.so.5 to libncurses.so.5.

Best,

Matthieu Dartiailh

PS : I noticed that the numba builds for windows are not updated as
regularly as their linux counterparts, can we hope in the near future a
windows build including support for np.linalg.inv ?

Stanley Seibert

Jan 29, 2016, 12:13:19 PM1/29/16
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Hi, thanks for checking out the dev builds!  Our internal CI system builds for all platforms whenever master is updated, but it does not upload them to anaconda.org unless all the unit tests pass.  (Except CUDA tests.  Our build systems don't have GPUs, so we run the CUDA tests on a different server after dev packages are built and uploaded.)

The lack of Windows packages is due to some unit tests failures we are seeing on some platforms.  Once we fix those, you should see new packages in the channel.

Are you installing llvmlite 0.9.0.dev packages from the numba channel and seeing this problem?

Matthieu Dartiailh

Jan 29, 2016, 12:17:08 PM1/29/16
to numba...@continuum.io
Yes I am installing llvmlite 0.9.0.dev (llvmlite-0.9.0.dev-py27_44) packages from the numba channel.

From some googling it may be related to the fact that Arch linux uses libncurses.so.6 but I don't understand why it works in the stable version if that is really the problem.

Stanley Seibert

Jan 29, 2016, 12:25:18 PM1/29/16
to Numba Public Discussion - Public
Ah!  The problem seems to be due to the LLVM 3.6 -> LLVM 3.7 library change itself.  LLVM 3.7 now links to ncurses, whereas LLVM 3.6 did not.  As a result, that linkage also appears in llvmlite (since we get our LDFLAGS from llvm-config).  Since we statically link only the portion of LLVM that we need in llvmlite, it is possible that we do not need to inherit the ncurses dependency.  We will take a look and see if that can be done.

Thanks for the bug report!

Stanley Seibert

Jan 29, 2016, 1:10:19 PM1/29/16
to Numba Public Discussion - Public