conda build R packages to different library location

Delia Rusu

Mar 28, 2017, 5:40:01 PM3/28/17
to conda - Public

I'm following the instructions from https://www.continuum.io/content/conda-data-science in order to build a CRAN-available R package (e.g. synthpop).

conda skeleton cran synthpop
conda build r-synthpop

How can I change the default conda build sequence to install to a different library location, as I don't have permission to install to the default one?

   installing to library ‘/path/to/default/lib’
   Error: ERROR: no permission to install to directory ‘/path/to/default/lib’

Also, I'm running conda build from within a virtual env.

Ray Donnelly

Mar 28, 2017, 5:43:38 PM3/28/17
to Delia Rusu, conda - Public
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Delia Rusu <delia...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm following the instructions from https://www.continuum.io/content/conda-data-science in order to build a CRAN-available R package (e.g. synthpop).

conda skeleton cran synthpop
conda build r-synthpop

How can I change the default conda build sequence to install to a different library location, as I don't have permission to install to the default one?

You can pass --croot /path/to/somewhere to conda-build.

   installing to library ‘/path/to/default/lib’
   Error: ERROR: no permission to install to directory ‘/path/to/default/lib’

Also, I'm running conda build from within a virtual env.

Do you mean a conda env or a virtualenv here? If the latter, please use the conda virtualenv package as the 'normal' one and conda have some compatibility issues.

Delia Rusu

Mar 28, 2017, 6:04:46 PM3/28/17
to conda - Public, delia...@gmail.com
Do you mean a conda env or a virtualenv here? If the latter, please use the conda virtualenv package as the 'normal' one and conda have some compatibility issues.

I mean a conda env.

You can pass --croot /path/to/somewhere to conda-build.

Did that, got same error.

conda build --croot /path/to/somewhere r-synthpop

 I'm running the command as a simple user, not admin. Does that make a difference?

Ray Donnelly

Mar 28, 2017, 6:14:40 PM3/28/17
to Delia Rusu, conda - Public
Ah this is the internal build done by R I think. Can you copy and paste the full build output (as text rather than an image)? Also, if you would open an issue with these details at https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues that would be easier for me to keep track of.

Delia Rusu

Mar 28, 2017, 7:20:46 PM3/28/17
to conda - Public, delia...@gmail.com
Yes, looks like the internal build done by R. I've also opened an issue as suggested https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/1562, and added the full build output there.