pip binary no longer provided on miniconda distribution

Artur Rodrigues

Aug 26, 2015, 5:35:58 PM8/26/15
to conda - Public
Hi there,

We use miniconda without any environments on our production servers. As they are immutable (and relatively short lived and completely replaced when needed), creating an environment doesn't really make sense. We rely on pip to install custom python packages, and also those unavailable on conda. It used to be available at "{miniconda_path}/bin/pip" and for some reason is no longer available with the installation.

I haven't found anything related on the conda changelog. My understanding is that if we are still able to install conda packages without creating an environment, the same should be true to pip.

Valentin Haenel

Aug 27, 2015, 3:30:38 AM8/27/15
to Artur Rodrigues, conda - Public
Hi,

* Artur Rodrigues <artu...@gmail.com> [2015-08-26]:
I would also like to see pip as part of miniconda again.

V-

Antoine Pitrou

Aug 27, 2015, 4:13:43 AM8/27/15
to co...@continuum.io
On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
Artur Rodrigues <artu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Doesn't "conda install pip" work for you? Why do you need as part of
miniconda itself?

Regards

Antoine.

Artur Rodrigues

Aug 27, 2015, 5:41:29 AM8/27/15
to Antoine Pitrou, co...@continuum.io
Yes it does solve the problem, I feel dumb for not thinking that out. Still, would be interesting to see a mention about that j. The change log. Thanks!

Artur Rodrigues

Aaron Meurer

Sep 4, 2015, 11:52:36 AM9/4/15
to Artur Rodrigues, Antoine Pitrou, co...@continuum.io
I don't know why pip was removed from miniconda. I don't think it was
intentional.

Aaron Meurer