Have cudatoolkit 8.0 available on the anaconda channel

Rémi Lehe

Jul 6, 2017, 10:47:52 AM7/6/17
to conda - Public
Hi,

It seems that cudatoolkit version 8.0 is not available for linux64, osx64 on the anaconda channel : https://anaconda.org/anaconda/cudatoolkit/files,
while it is available on the numba channel: https://anaconda.org/numba/cudatoolkit/files.

Would you be willing to upload version 8.0 on the anaconda channel?

Thanks,

Stanley Seibert

Jul 6, 2017, 9:46:14 PM7/6/17
to Rémi Lehe, conda - Public
Hi Rémi,

Initially when CUDA 8.0 was released, we (the Numba team) were hesitant to ask for the cudatoolkit 8.0 package to be moved into the main Anaconda channel because it would fail for anyone whose GPU driver predated CUDA 8. (The reverse, however, is not true. It is safe to use cudatoolkit 7.5 with newer drivers.) Conda can’t detect which version of cudatoolkit is supported by the system driver, so in new environments, it will default to the newest version in the channel, which might be a problem.

That said, CUDA 8 has been out for a while, so maybe we should move it over now. I’ll talk it over with the distribution team next week when I am back from vacation. We’ll just need to be ready for the inevitable support questions… :)

Rémi Lehe

Jul 7, 2017, 4:28:47 PM7/7/17
to conda - Public, remi...@gmail.com
Thanks for this information!

In fact, I was interested in cudatoolkit 8.0 because I noticed that it was required to run cuRAND on a GeForce GTX 1080 GPU (cuRAND crashes on this type of GPU with cudatoolkit 7.5 ; see also this link: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/941354/gpu-accelerated-libraries/all-curand-samples-fail-with-gtx-1080-on-cuda-7-5/).

But I understand the problems that would arise by incorporating cudatoolkit 8.0 in the standard anaconda channels. If you think that it is not time yet to make the switch, I am definitely fine with continuing to use the numba channel in order to get version 8.0.

Thanks!