menuinst for packages installed in non-root envs

faph

Oct 7, 2015, 3:23:28 PM10/7/15
to conda - Public
Hi

`conda install` will only create `menuinst` menu items for packages that are installed in the root environment. I know that menuinst is not really documented/supported, but it seems a neat way to create application launchers cross-platform. I'd like to use it for one of my packages.

Not quite sure why the restriction on root environment only. Possibly because you would for example create menu items when doing conda build's (both build and test environment would create entries!). The conda Launcher (v1.x) appears to install "own environment" apps into environments named like "_app_own_environment_{package}". Maybe you could allow in `conda install` creating menuinst items if the prefix starts with "_app_own_environment_"? Or is an alternative scheme better for deciding when to create menu items and when not? For example testing whether the environment var %CONDA_BUILD% exists or not?

Cheers
Florenz

faph

Oct 8, 2015, 11:46:30 AM10/8/15
to conda - Public
Just to correct myself: during a `conda build` menu items wouldn't be generated as it doesn't invoke `conda install`.

Is CONDA_BUILD still set during package testing?

faph

Oct 8, 2015, 1:57:16 PM10/8/15
to conda - Public
I created a PR with suggestion, see https://github.com/conda/conda/pull/1692.

This is based on blacklisting certain environments not to create menuitems for.