I made Conda remove itself

1 view

pfigliozzi

Sep 22, 2016, 7:33:44 PM9/22/16
to conda - Public

I was messing around with my virtual environments in conda and I managed to make conda remove itself. I was testing a beta package in a virtual environment that I created. After I was done testing I went back to my root environment in conda. However in my root environment python kept crashing when I was running scripts that should work. I looked at my packages in the root environment and noticed that conda, conda-env, python, and scipy where updated in my root environment. I discovered the "revisions" feature in conda and saw the packages that I installed that day using:

conda --revisions

yields the result (the relevant revisions are 29 and 30):

So using:

conda install --revision=29

It removed conda 4.2.7 but it did not replace it with conda 4.0.5. Now I cannot call conda from the command prompt anymore. I was wondering if there is a way for me to put conda back on my computer in my Anaconda distribution. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

If not I am quite prepared, before I did any messing around in conda I created a yaml file of my root environment. Worst case I can uninstall anaconda and reinstall anaconda or miniconda and recreate my environment although I am a little worried if I would lose any settings doing this. Also, I was having trouble cloning my root environment from this yaml file, conda kept giving me errors like 'could not parse "name=root"' or an error related to channels (I do have some packages that I got from specific channels). Let me know what you suggest I do.

Thomas Caswell

Sep 24, 2016, 4:51:20 PM9/24/16
to pfigliozzi, conda - Public
Patrick,

Probably just re-install miniconda

I think you have to do

```
conda env create -f env.yaml
```

to get it to work.

Tom

Rutger Kassies

Nov 22, 2017, 9:40:09 AM11/22/17
to conda - Public, phoen...@gmail.com
Hey,

I just did the same thing. Huge gotcha that doing a revision in the root environment can remove conda itself! My solution is to download the version of Conda you need from anaconda.org, or alternatively look in your \pkgs\ directory if its still there. You can then open the tarball and simply drag all folders to you Miniconda/Anaconda directory. For me that seems to work alright, its risky of course.

Regards,
Rutger

Ian Stokes Rees

Nov 27, 2017, 1:55:07 PM11/27/17
to co...@continuum.io
This probably deserves to be reported as a bug to the issue tracker:

https://github.com/conda/conda/issues

Ian Stokes-Rees, PhD
Computational Scientist
617.942.0218
.

Rutger Kassies

Nov 28, 2017, 7:26:10 AM11/28/17
to conda - Public
Hey,

There are already several, see for example:

and

Regards,
Rutger